Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bilge heater and other ?

Well I did the search and I read the forums. I am wondering though if for extra piece of mind I should run a bilge heater extreme or otherwise. If so what is a good wattage? Third question which is a little off topic is what type of tranny fluid does the boat take and recommendations please. I know it is ATF but....Thanks in advance and please excuse the new to cold weather/new boat question.

It's a piece of mind thing. I have a Boatsafe Jr in mine. Going on 5 yrs now I think. I drain everything & have 1 extension cord connected to the bilge heater & the battery charger. I can get it all done in a couple minutes & the boat is ready to take out for a ride anytime.

Last winter when lows were in the low 20s for about 10 days I used a 100 watt light bulb in the engine bay. My boat stays outside in my back yard with a full cover that reaches to the waterline. I'm in Arizona though so your situation may vary.

I fully winterize my boat AND run a medium Xtreme bilge heater. I also plug in the battery charger. The boat is ready to hit the water and the hoses are warm enough to hook up easily to the motor. I have never had a power outage, but I fully winterize the engine just in case. It's a bit of overkill, but I'll never have a split block from freezing.