Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 23' LSV Questions

Arick

In my previous topic about me buying a new house, I had stated I was looking for an 2008 23' LSV. However Ndawg12 stated that "There's a lot of research to be done on an 08 Malibu, it was not the their best year but the fixes were made, just need verify". I tried to ask what those issues were but didn't get a response. I did some searching on this site and on the interwebz only to not find what he was talking about. Maybe I am a newb at searching, who knows!? Can anyone point out what the known issues are?

Also, if 2008 isn't the best year, is the 2007 better? Or should I go newer(2009)? The problem I have here is, if I go newer, It usually ends up out my price range.

Keep in mind what I am looking for. Price range up to 55k.

Want

Blue/white/Black/Gray

Wake hull

Hammerhead v8

Power wedge

Full ballast

Perfect Pass

Tandem trailer

(cannot remember the "better" tower name)

Nice to haves:

Heater

Gobs of speakers

No problems with mine (knock on wood). There was an issue with the tower bushings(?) but Malibu came out and did the fix on it. Don't remember exactly what they did though. The dash layout could be better, but I don't notice it anymore.

• Like 1

I had an "ugly dash" 2008. It did not look that bad but the one that replaced it looks much better. 2008 was for sure not one of Malibu's greatest moments. Maliview was not available in 2008, but the factory added a Maliview kit to many of the 2008 boats they took back from dealers who were distressed due to the recession. The kits have proven to be reliable. Then came the throttle defect. Malibu sent techs to wherever the boats were to replace the throttle. While the techs were there they also checked and or replaced MUX switches. Tower bushings were not properly installed on some boats, but not all. There was also an issue with flaking and pitting on chrome plated hardware and the Rockford Fosgate speakers. The Hammerhead engine had low oil pressure issues. Malibu changed out the dipstick and recommended a change in the oil viscosity. My boat had all of the above problems. Malibu stepped up and repaired every defect as part of their "make it right" commitment. I think you would have a hard time finding a 2008 that has not had every one of these issues addressed, but a quick trip to the dealer would verify. After running down the check list I would not hesitate to buy another 2008.

I had an "ugly dash" 2008. It did not look that bad but the one that replaced it looks much better. 2008 was for sure not one of Malibu's greatest moments. Maliview was not available in 2008, but the factory added a Maliview kit to many of the 2008 boats they took back from dealers who were distressed due to the recession. The kits have proven to be reliable. Then came the throttle defect. Malibu sent techs to wherever the boats were to replace the throttle. While the techs were there they also checked and or replaced MUX switches. Tower bushings were not properly installed on some boats, but not all. There was also an issue with flaking and pitting on chrome plated hardware and the Rockford Fosgate speakers. The Hammerhead engine had low oil pressure issues. Malibu changed out the dipstick and recommended a change in the oil viscosity. My boat had all of the above problems. Malibu stepped up and repaired every defect as part of their "make it right" commitment. I think you would have a hard time finding a 2008 that has not had every one of these issues addressed, but a quick trip to the dealer would verify. After running down the check list I would not hesitate to buy another 2008.

I have the ugly dash but beauty is in the eye of the beholder..... I am just fine with it. I think the "press" on these issues creates a bigger perception than reality... there was a higher percentage of boats without issues than with but admittedly if you have a bad year you are going to be wearing it as an organization.. I had a boat that had none of the issues above... dealer did the make it right work for good measure.

agreed most 08 will have the work done if not the last 5 years of operation have proven the reliability of the components. Don't shy away from a well maintained 08.

There is a gorgeous 2008 for sale in the Seattle area that meets your needs and has low hours. Search craigslist, it is located in the lake Stevens area. I have been drooling over it all week.

Oh, and it is only $49k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by rennis

There is a gorgeous 2008 for sale in the Seattle area that meets your needs and has low hours. Search craigslist, it is located in the lake Stevens area. I have been drooling over it all week. Oh, and it is only $49k Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Found it. Only has the 340 monsoon though. If it had the hammerhead, I'd be all over it!

Edited by Arick

Man did I get called out or what :biggrin: I think skyskier nailed most of the issues that I remember researching. Although I thought I remember something about exhaust manifold/header cooling issues too but that might have been specific to an engine...:unsure: Anyways, just to clarify, I wasn't trying to steer you away from an 08 boat but rather it seems they had more issues for what ever reason that year than other years, Malibu stepped up and made it right, but recommend to do your due diligence and verify.

Man did I get called out or what :biggrin: I think skyskier nailed most of the issues that I remember researching. Although I thought I remember something about exhaust manifold/header cooling issues too but that might have been specific to an engine... :unsure: Anyways, just to clarify, I wasn't trying to steer you away from an 08 boat but rather it seems they had more issues for what ever reason that year than other years, Malibu stepped up and made it right, but recommend to do your due diligence and verify.

LOL! I wasn't calling you out! I tried to ask my questions in the other thread, but you never checked back. Thats all!