Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

CA Crew Members what this new DMV fee

scfdfireman

I just got my bu annual registration renewal from DMV and it includes a new fee for "Quagga and Zebra Mussel Infestation." The fee is optional if the vessel is operated in "marine" waters, but I can't find what DMV considers marine waters. I contacted DMV since my bu doesn't leave our lake and they didn't know the answer either. Does any of you know or is it just easier to pay the fee?

I just got my bu annual registration renewal from DMV and it includes a new fee for "Quagga and Zebra Mussel Infestation." The fee is optional if the vessel is operated in "marine" waters, but I can't find what DMV considers marine waters. I contacted DMV since my bu doesn't leave our lake and they didn't know the answer either. Does any of you know or is it just easier to pay the fee?

No new taxes...but jerry moonbeam and the bunch will and have added fees up the wazoo!! Edited by happypappy

What temperature of water can those things survive in? They do not have cycles at lake elsinore, but the lake gets pretty warm in the summer. It's such a shallow lake, I wonde if the water is too warm for them so hence no inspection.

I think marine means ocean-only

LAKE COUNTY, Calif. – A new bill signed by the governor will establish new fees on boats in an effort to increase quagga and zebra mussel prevention efforts around California.

Gov. Jerry Brown’s office reported that on Sept. 23 he signed AB 2443 by Assemblyman Das Williams (D-Santa Barbara). The bill goes into effect on Jan. 1, 2013.

Williams’ bill would impose additional fees of up to $20 – over the current registration fees owners of water vessels pay to the state – which would be used for the implementation of dreissenid mussel monitoring, inspection and infestation prevention programs, according to the Legislative Counsel’s digest.

Dreissenid mussels – including quaggas and zebras – began appearing several years ago in Southern California water bodies.

They’re considered particularly devastating to ecosystems, and fears about their impacts have led to the establishment of inspection and sticker programs in Lake County in order to protect Clear Lake, Blue Lakes and other waterways.

State officials said the funds AB 2443 generates will be directed primarily to two agencies – the Department of Boating and Waterways and Department of Fish and Game – each of which will be administering a separate grant program.

Gloria Sandoval, spokesperson for the Department of Boating and Waterways, said AB 2443’s main purpose was to create a new and dedicated funding source for mussel monitoring and prevention programs around the state.

As noted by robertstone9, the actual fee is $16.