Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 MXZ

Relic

Can anybody tell me for sure one way or the other if Malibu has fixed the spray gate problem for the 2014 MXZ , I keep reading but have found nothing for sure yes or no .

ahopkins22LSV

From the early 14's I have seen the gate doesn't LOOK any different. However I have yet to be out on a 14. It could be that the early ones could still need the fix. I think I am going to swing by our dealer again today and I can take a closer look.

If I understand it correctly, the spray is caused because there is a gap between the gate and the hull right? Like the gate doesn't follow the hull shape (I know there will always be some sort of a gap).

I will say "Yes" the fix works. I did a demo on a 22 MXZ with the deflector plate on and it does clean up the wave. It has to be put on perfect. The goofy side had the deflector plate on, but it was off according to the salesman. I could see the spray on the goofy side. The standard side had it on perfect and the wave did clean up. I did still see lots of splash on the swim platform, but I don't think that's a big deal.

From the early 14's I have seen the gate doesn't LOOK any different. However I have yet to be out on a 14. It could be that the early ones could still need the fix. I think I am going to swing by our dealer again today and I can take a closer look.

If I understand it correctly, the spray is caused because there is a gap between the gate and the hull right? Like the gate doesn't follow the hull shape (I know there will always be some sort of a gap).

I would agree with that. That's a little above my knowledge. I still say the traditional bow boats have a better surf wave. That is my opinion after seeing all the boats in action.

They didn't change the surf gate for 2014 on any MXZ's, they are just offering the the plate. I was told that dealers will only have the plates sent to them by request. They are having trouble machining enough plates to send to everyone at this point in time but will be caught up by next spring I'm sure. The way they made it sound is that they aren't installing the fix from the factory though. I'm awaiting my 2014 MXZ (coming in early Nov. :surprised: ) and having the dealership I work for order the plates to put on during the winter.

Thanks for the info , I am ordering a new boat just can't decide on the VLX or the MXZ 22. This spray gate thing just bugs me to much money for something that is not as good as it should be.

My VLX is super roomy and has an awesome surf wave, but soon it will go through a model change. So the LSV should be at the top of your list. I will tell you, I love my VLX. It's freakin awesome on all accounts. I have 50 hours on it.

The only reason the LSV was not on the list was because it was too big for us and heavy for tow vehicle. The VTX was too small. The lX was just right. I bet the space in the VTX is comparable to the other brands 21 footers. These Malibus are spacious.

Doc does your 20 have a spray problem to? I took a vlx for a demo and was totally impressed , My last boat was a 2011 x2 so the mxz just looks like home. just don't want to buy and not be totally happy.

Yes, the spray is horrendous.

Take a look at some of my other threads. I posted some pics there

if the spray fix works, then my surf wave will be awesome and I'm assuming the MXZ 22 and 24 will be too

I would hold off to demo the spray fix though. It is scheduled to ship Oct 24

why do it right when you can do it over