Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pulling thermostat to winterize?

I have some one winterize my boat and he pulls the themostat to do it making sure antifreeze enters the manifolds.does anyone else do this? I here a couple people on our river who don't do it.

My boat on the fake lake will not reach 160 for the themostat to open so taking it out to put the antifreeze in makes sense to me.

Most will say Phooey on that step. When on the fake-a-lake are you running at idle only or faster at 1,500-2,000 rpms? Higher revs should get you the higher temp to open the thermostat.

If you are worried about getting antifreeze into the block, just do this. With the engine OFF, disconnect the big J hose from the thermostat housing and pour antifreeze into it. It will go through the water pump and into the block. I would then drain the block afterwards and leave it dry.

I see a lot of posts of people bringing a/f into the engine by running it and letting the raw pump suck it in. I don't understand this method. I personally would not want a diluted a/f (I use the pink stuff), but it seems to work for some people. You always have the question of the t-stat being open or closed. I always drain first, then put in a/f. It seems to me that the time it takes to open the t-stat at idle, I either have to use cooling water to keep from smoking the impeller or overheating the engine (then end up with dilution in the block) or run dry and risk overheat. My personal method is quite easy but I make use of my shower and heater connections to do it. I wouldn't remove the t-stat. Just seems like extra work sealing it back up. I use the shower inlets in the a/f jug and the shower pump/outlet hose back flows through the heater core and into the top of the engine intake manifold. Only other place I have to dump a/f is into the front exhaust manifold hoses.