Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 Wakesetter LSV Thermostat/Winterization question

Ok, so I went from an 06 RLXi to our new to us 08 LSV. I have always winterized my own engines and have a question about running the engine full of antifreeze after I am done draining it since I have always just left the hoses disconnected and engine empty on all my prior boats.

When running it on antifreeze, does the engine need to be up to temperature (160) to allow the antifreeze to pass by the thermostat so it fills the the entire engine? Since if the engine is not up to temperature the thermostat will not be open and the water will then not flow to all areas of the block, am I correct?

I drained my engine completely last year... let it sit for another couple weeks thinking I would use it again but never did. Ran it just long enough to see some AF coming out the exhaust. Took about 3.5 gallons. AF got in the block...verified by AF coming out of shower turned to hot. I'm not sure of the exact mechanism... but the block has to fill first. If the T-stat really needed to get up to 160 to allow water in I would think that the cylinders would be toast by the time the block around the t-stat heated up to 160.

Thank you, yes, your logic makes complete sense! I probably should have thought about it a little more but I just really don't want to mess the engine up assuming.

On a side note, is there any way to tell which of the holes is the vent and which is the drain for the ballast? Does it say in any manuals something like "the vent hole is in front of the drain hole" or anything like that?

I will agree with what blagrata says but you have to be careful. From my memory on flow of coolant in a monsoon typical setup, the t-stat lets fluid out of the engine. I do believe water or a/f sucked into the raw pump will end up in the engine circ pump and into the block IF IT IS DRAINED. If it's not drained, the water that is in there won't let a/f flow in until the t-stat opens and lets that water out. And then you will end up with diluted a/f at best, which you don't want to do with the pink stuff.

It sounds like you are ok but just wanted to point that out. There is another recent post that referenced the same process only with a block full of water.