Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

movie theater / boat

itznowonder

I used to take a boat full of friends on the lake at night to watch horror movies. We had so much fun, I would find a good spot, turn on the 2 screen DVD player I had hooked thru the boat speakers and then we would watch a good scary movie. my DVD player broke so now I am thinking about making this a for real thing. Before, I had one small screen attached to the tower and the other small screen sitting on the glove box. Now I want to wire a DVD player in, still run the sound thru the speakers but use 2) 24" monitors designed to fit on the tower, one facing forward for bow seating and the other facing back for rear seating. Anyone ever done anything like this? Any ideas? I started this because everyone always wanted to go to the drive-in movie but I hate leaving the lake at perfect ski time of day to go to a movie so.... boat movie theater was born.

We have done something similar. We used a thick, white sheet. Weighted the bottom of the sheet and set a projector and netbook up on the sunpad. You can't watch from the bow but the screen was large and the speakers in the boat provided ample "movie theater" sound.

All those speakers and not a single wakeboard rack, may not even own a board!

I believe the owner is the same guy who did the tour around the western US last year. They boarded on like 40 lakes in 60 days or something crazy. He's done some interesting things to the boat over the years, not all of which were permanent. If I'm right, this is the same guy who made the Twister game on the bow cover.

Edit: Looks like it was 26 states & 30 lakes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFUYz4tywDg

I think it's the same guy. He hangs out on Wakeworld & lives somewhere around Disco Bay. Since the Giants did all the playoffs & the Series that year, I imagine he had a lot of time to tinker with the boat & set it up for any games they wanted to take the boat to.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I believe the owner is the same guy who did the tour around the western US last year. They boarded on like 40 lakes in 60 days or something crazy. He's done some interesting things to the boat over the years, not all of which were permanent. If I'm right, this is the same guy who made the Twister game on the bow cover.

I stand corrected

I've thought about doing a small projector screen that you could setup on the swim platform and then set a projector engine cover. Would be a neat way to watch movies on the water at night.

I used to take a boat full of friends on the lake at night to watch horror movies. We had so much fun, I would find a good spot, turn on the 2 screen DVD player I had hooked thru the boat speakers and then we would watch a good scary movie. my DVD player broke so now I am thinking about making this a for real thing. Before, I had one small screen attached to the tower and the other small screen sitting on the glove box. Now I want to wire a DVD player in, still run the sound thru the speakers but use 2) 24" monitors designed to fit on the tower, one facing forward for bow seating and the other facing back for rear seating. Anyone ever done anything like this? Any ideas? I started this because everyone always wanted to go to the drive-in movie but I hate leaving the lake at perfect ski time of day to go to a movie so.... boat movie theater was born.

I've always thought it would be cool to have a boat/lake drive-in theater. I never really thought about putting a small DVD/TV on the boat, may be a winter project!

I've always thought it would be cool to have a boat/lake drive-in theater. I never really thought about putting a small DVD/TV on the boat, may be a winter project!

we have had so much fun doing this. Extremely fun to watch scary movies. If I get the bow seating worked out it will be a great place for me to slip into the water and scare my crew ;}

How are you guys running your audio through your stereo. I'm in the process of machining a bracket that will hang a 42" flat screen from the back tube of my illusion tower.

If you are using a separate DVD player that is located below then direct the stereo RCA output to the HU Aux input just like you would an ipod. If the Aux input is occupied then get a JL Audio 3-In selector.

• Like 1

I have been thinking about doing this as well, but I was going to use the rear ski pylon to mount a tv on. I will probably do this in the next few months. I'll remove the pylon and have a pole made to fit in the hole then mount a 42 or 32 inch tv to that. It would enable me to swing the tv around to the back or the front depending on where we are viewing. I get really good cell reception out on our lake so I'll get a sling box (to stream live tv) and use my iPad with a hdmi out to the tv and run audio from the tv to the aux input. Should make for some good football watching on the lake.