Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PFD etiquette

Pnwrider

When you have friends on your boat do you let them use your life vest or make them wear one of the cheapies we all stash on our boats? This season I bought a brand new pro model life vest. In the past I was a fatty and none of my skinny friends liked my huge vest so they would either bring their own or wear one of the cheap ones I keep on the boat. Somehow they all decided using my vest would be the way to go (I should have stayed fat). Putting on a cold and wet vest sucks. Especially when it's your boat, gas, beer, etc. so please crew, tell me if I need to suck it up and deal with it or I should be passing out the cheap vests to my crew. Curious to hear everyone's opinions on this and how you handle this on your boat.

Captain makes the rules. Depends on how good of friends they are. And if it is your boat, your gas, your beer, then it sounds like they are not your friends.

You can get a sticker or t shirt that gives them a hint!!

**Post edited for profanity and warning issued**

I'm with u on hating putting on a wet vest, but once I've had my initial set anyone can wear. Once it's wet, it's wet. It's not like they're going to wreck it with overuse.

I'd be saving the dry vest for myself, but I have enough vests it doesn't matter too much, plus my buds all have their own anyhow. As for gas and beer, there are a couple of threads out there if you want to see how everyone approaches that. It runs the gamut.

Edit - changed gamut to be spelled correctly :)

Edited by MalibuTime

Ive become a water snob so of its not glass i don't go first. I'm not too worried about the gas and beer. I've already seen those threads. I guess I should be happy they take their shirts off, sperrys off, and leave their bags of milk at home?

Cheaper vests for friends and guests and we have our own. I ask the question "would you put on my undies after I've just run 10 miles, no, so why would I wear yours?", :) Not quite the same but I hate putting on a wet jacket after someone else has been in it

Edited by brad72

When I first got into boating I let my friends use all my stuff... I didn't know any better. Now that I'm on my second set of bindings and second vest from them getting stretched out by my "larger" buddies I let them use the cheap stuff... That being said after the first outing with these new policies my regulars all bought their own vests.

This is very true as well. I used to have a pair of neoprene shorts, a little body armor for the troops. My friend started grabbing them, his waist is 6" bigger than mine. Needless to say, the shorts were ruined.

No way am I putting on a wet, cold vest if there's another one available. As soon as I'm done with my set, it goes in the warmer. This time of year it's more of an issue - not so much so in the middle of the summer.

Cheaper vests for friends and guests and we have our own. I ask the question "would you put on my undies after I've just run 10 miles, no, so why would I wear yours?", :) Not quite the same but I hate putting on a wet jacket after someone else has been in it

That would depend on how cute her undies were now wouldn't it?

For the OP question: I am the captain, therefore I get the dry vest and it is always only mine, plus I get the glass. That's why I named my boat "The Glass Seeker".

• Like 2

I have a couple neoprene vests on the boat so it's not an issue. Just go buy a couple from Sam's club or something that's on clearance at the end of the year from an online store. I keep my good one dry until I have my first set, but after that it's fair game to whoever wants to use it.

No one wears the captain's vest other than the captain. We have some decent extra neoprene jackets we let the guests wear. If they're noobs all they care about is not wearing the orange horseshoe jacket. They're usually happy to wear the 6 year old jet pilot vest when they compare it to the horseshoe.

I have a couple neoprene vests on the boat so it's not an issue. Just go buy a couple from Sam's club or something that's on clearance at the end of the year from an online store. I keep my good one dry until I have my first set, but after that it's fair game to whoever wants to use it.

This is what I do.

No one wears my jacket before me when boating period.

All of my vests are about the same quality. I don't have a "good one" for me. I try to use the same one, and I do like it dry but if someone gets it before me, not a big deal. And now that I foot 90% of the time, everyone has their own suit anyway.

Southern Hospitality down here in the South I guess...I could care less who wears my vest and if it wet when it is my turn to put it on. In fact - I went out by nice neoprene vest in M, L and XL for all the guys including myself and we bought a neoprene S and M for women. Caught some O'neils 50% off.

Must be a Northern'r thing.

• Like 2

I usually buy a new vest every 2 years. There are always plenty to go around. The only one not for loan is the Ronix ONE with built in LED's. I'm the only one who gets his TRON on.

Otherwise its hot out. And like NY says...quit being a sister.

All regular skiers bring their own stuff (usually rope and handle too). But when we have others aboard I always make sure to have enough vests and sizes for guests (the cheapest neoprene O'Neill line).

But they do not wear my vest or my wife's vest.

I absolutely hate when someone larger tries to squeeze into something they shouldn't, then it doesn't fit me properly. Happened last week when I was on someone else's boat. Everyone decided the vest I brought fit better than the vests on the boat. Luckly I didn't pull it out until it was my set. The water is getting a bit colder here, so having a dry vest before jumping in helps not having to wear a upper body wetsuit.

Edited by Joeprunc

I'm not going to kick someone off the boat because they choose to wear my vest.

I invited them to join me, I want them there and enjoy their company (or I wouldn't have invited them)! Don't feel like it would be very nice to complain about the vest use. Then again I can't recall the last time someone got on my boat and didn't bring some beverages of their own and make an attempt to pay for gas, so maybe I'm just inviting the right type of people. How many times have we needed a 3rd body for spotting or ballast or whatever, and couldn't' find one? I'm thankful I've got people to join me!

I do have a suggestion for you - maybe when doing he invite process (whether it's them inviting themselves or not) politely suggest they bring a vest if they have one. This will at least put it in their head. Take over as captain, before someone takes their turn - jump up and hand them the vest you choose for them.

As long as the rider is my size or smaller, they can wear my gear. Any bigger then I have other gear for them.

As for being wet, either it is warm enough that I don't care or cool enough that I'm wearing my rash guard (or wetsuit jacket). Either way I don't care.

martinarcher

Southern Hospitality down here in the South I guess...I could care less who wears my vest and if it wet when it is my turn to put it on. In fact - I went out by nice neoprene vest in M, L and XL for all the guys including myself and we bought a neoprene S and M for women. Caught some O'neils 50% off.

Must be a Northern'r thing.

I'm with you Murphy. Heck, I never even considered not sharing my good vests. I'll sit and shiver while someone else wears my fleece in the fall if it means they are more comfortable. If someone's not having a good time on the boat it will certainly not be because I didn't try. :)

I have my own gear! Lol

Now saying that, I do have a complemntery of nice vests on board for my guests, so they are all well looked after. I figure if you ask guests to come along then treat them as guests.

So i Never have a problem feeling guilty. And my dedicated crew, well they all have there own gear, So never an issue there.

:)

Edited by Dare2goBare