Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need a new prop for a Sporster

Well... I keep finding things I somehow overlooked when buying this boat (my first boat... go figure).

The latest in my list:

IMG_1664_001.sized.jpg

IMG_1665.sized.jpg

IMG_1666.sized.jpg

I am not sure how I missed that one! I remember spinning the prop by hand and looking at it... darn.

I plan on replacing it with an Acme 515. I don't need any more hole shot or top end really. And as bad as this prop looks it doesn't seem to run too rough.

Anyway if the weather cooperates I will get to run it one last time when the prop comes in.

Anything besides prop, new nylock nut, new cotter pin, new brass key, and prop puller I need to do this job?

Any personal recommendations for where to buy? skidim? wakeprops?
Thanks!

Salem

Edited by eyekode

I have a 2004 Sportster with a fuel injected Indomar engine. It has a 4 blade prop. When I purchased the boat, I also bought a prop package. The kit included a new 4 blade prop, all the hardware to install the prop, and a carry for bag for everything. This kit also included a bronse prop puller.None of this kit has ever been used. It is brand new. I do not know the brand or even the size of the prop. I have the same size prop on my boat and it preforms very well. Depending on where you are located and the price you offer, I will be willing to sell it. Thanx Steve [email protected]

Whatever you decide to use for a prop, get rid of the one you have on there now, and do so quickly. The cavitation burn appears to be pretty substantial and that prop is known for throwing blades causing serious damage. JMHO, but if I were you, I'd not run the boat until you get a new prop. Call http://www.acmemarine.com and see hat they have to say about your hull and how you plan to use it. You will not be disappointed.

Whatever you decide to use for a prop, get rid of the one you have on there now, and do so quickly. The cavitation burn appears to be pretty substantial and that prop is known for throwing blades causing serious damage. JMHO, but if I were you, I'd not run the boat until you get a new prop. Call http://www.acmemarine.com and see hat they have to say about your hull and how you plan to use it. You will not be disappointed.

Ditto. That is one of the worst looking props I've seen, it's like a grenade with the pin half out.

I'm and OJ guy. Love their 4-blades. Call Eric at OJ and have a discussion with him. He gives great insight into props.

Www.ojprops.com

(800) 359-9730

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I ended up ordering from skidim.com. 455$ or so shipped for an Acme 515, new brass nut, brass key, stainless cotter pin, and a prop puller. Not too bad. I ordered it yesterday UPS ground and it got here today (SC to NC)!

10217627653_de0f7aa0cd.jpg

This is my first CNC prop (actually my first prop...). The machining looks mostly ok although I would not say amazing.

10217512325_6f048ec397.jpg

10217426354_3cc9109901.jpg

On the back there marks that look like they are done by hand with a file. I wonder if they do a final step of balancing where they manually remove a smidge of material?

10217428244_b24652481d.jpg

Edited by eyekode
  • 5 months later...

Spring has rolled around and I finally got my new prop installed :)

Oh my it was hard to remove the old one! I have an OJ prop puller and tightened it down as far as I could. No luck. Wacked with a mallet, no luck. Then a steel hammer, no luck. Then poured boiling water over it, no luck. And finally wacked with a 3 lb sledge! Glad that is over!

Old (with fishing line wrapped around the shaft and all... doh!) :

13692071064_57ccaf70a2.jpg

New:

13691726875_5db46b3d76.jpg

Can't wait to test it out!

Edited by eyekode
  • Like 3

When we replaced the original stainless prop with a new CNC prop we noticed a better hole shot and smoother overall operation. I don't think I've ever had the boat up to max speed so I can't comment on that.

The new CNC prop is a heck of a lot cheaper than the damage repair that old prop would have eventually caused. Our stainless prop had stress cracks but didn't look as bad as yours, for what its worth.

You will like the new prop.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have taken her out twice with the new prop. Super smooth and seems quieter?! Only two complaints. One minor and one major.

First the minor complaint: it feels like it has less mid range then the original 13x13. To be honest I don't think the boat needs any more torque. If this was the only boat I ever drove I would not know what "getting on plane" means. It happens so fast!

And the major complaint: I ran over a sunken tree last weekend :(. grrr!!!!

13939899579_5493287409_s.jpgUntitled by eyekode, on Flickr

I have already ordered a new 425 and will send the 515 off to be repaired. I just hope everything else is still straight!!

Salem