Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Merced factory tour

sgtsandbagger

We're heading to rainy Badmood.gif California tomorrow and are set up for the tour on Monday morning. Is there anything that we shouldn't miss or anything that we should skip?

Our boat is already done but my daughter Crazy.gif wants to board in the little test lake behind a 247. Kevin...

You certainly won't be doing any boarding in the lake. I'd get a free t-shirt for everyone in the family. Other than that, unfortunately, the area of California that you'll be in doesn't have much to do or see. Except for a new University of California campus right there in Merced.

To bad youre boat is done...I went in feb (3 1/2 hr e.w. ) and it was cool to see my boat being built ... they were doing the apholstery. I went on the lake test on a yellow / black lsv ( pretty cool ) . After, I stopped at the Merced HD dealer picked up a T shirt . enjoy the tour

The tour is awsome, you will be surprised everything that happens underneath that roof, plus all the nice people that work at that factory.

If Jorge gives you the tour, he will show you how a Malibu is made from start to finish. I left that place appreciating much more the boat I just purchased and realized that I am a MALIBU customer for life.

As far as going to the lake, I think its going to rain .....BOOO

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like fun. We're staying with the wife's family in Turlock so it'll be fun for her. It's a 1600 mile trip each way for us but we've made it plenty of times before. We just drive straight through. (4 drivers)

I was hoping to go to Loudon TN since it's closer and my family is in Nashville but the Merced plant sounds pretty good so far.

Jorge is the one giving the early am tour. We're planning on eating at his uncle's Mexican food place Sat evening in Turlock if I can remember the name. The plant is closed this Fri and Sat for Easter so I can't call him back.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like fun. We're staying with the wife's family in Turlock so it'll be fun for her. It's a 1600 mile trip each way for us but we've made it plenty of times before. We just drive straight through. (4 drivers)

I was hoping to go to Loudon TN since it's closer and my family is in Nashville but the Merced plant sounds pretty good so far.

Jorge is the one giving the early am tour. We're planning on eating at his uncle's Mexican food place Sat evening in Turlock if I can remember the name. The plant is closed this Fri and Sat for Easter so I can't call him back.

You certainly won't be doing any boarding in the lake. I'd get a free t-shirt for everyone in the family. Other than that, unfortunately, the area of California that you'll be in doesn't have much to do or see. Except for a new University of California campus right there in Merced.

Hey, you forgot LS-one's office thats always worth a visit.

NOT ! J/K :lol:

wow 1600 mi ew gl Cry.gif

Hey Sgt. I bumped into you at Pilot Gas near Havasu, hope you got home with your prize safely. I will try to add a picture of the 247 to my gallery as promised. It is one big sweet boat. I can't wait to get back to Havasu to finish the break-in and pump up the wake real BIG!

Later this summer I have to head up to Oregon, sounds like a factory tour is worth a stop.

Later,

Mel Sharpel

Hey Sgt. I bumped into you at Pilot Gas near Havasu, hope you got home with your prize safely. I will try to add a picture of the 247 to my gallery as promised. It is one big sweet boat. I can't wait to get back to Havasu to finish the break-in and pump up the wake real BIG!

Later this summer I have to head up to Oregon, sounds like a factory tour is worth a stop.

Later,

Mel Sharpel

Thanks Sharpel. We got it back in pretty good time, about 21.5 hours driving. That's about an hour per foot of boat!

We used my buddies 6.0 liter powerstroke that you saw me filling up instead of my old 7.3 liter. It pulled all the mountain passes and hills at least at the posted speed limit (for cars) or faster. My old truck doesn't pull near as hard but it has enough extra fuel on board to go about 1400 miles non-stop while pulling a good load. Most of the trailers I normally pull weigh more empty than this boat and trailer weigh combined.

I've got to say the Dorsey trailer pulls awesome! The fuel mileage might have been better if the trailer was lower and we would've slowed down some.

kk...