Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Throttle Body Return Spring(Perfect Pass)

I have been having issues with my perfect pass lately and have tracked it down to a weak throttle body return spring. Does anyone know where to buy these return springs from? I looked all over the net for monsoon engine parts, indmar engine parts, with no luck.

The other solution that I could do is add an external spring to the linkage to try and help it return like it is supposed to. Has anyone had any luck doing this?

have you tried to call Bakes? They are pretty good with looking up random parts and usually can get a good answer for you.

Or try calling Smooth Water Sports. (more geographically desirable)

Simple solution, go to hardware store and buy external spring. Tons of boats need an external spring. Another option is call Perfect Pass, they included a spring with my kit that arrived last week.

It is really hard to find a spot to attach an external spring on that motor. I also had problems with Perfect Pass and was convinced it was a weak return spring. That is not an easy part to replace as I believe you can't just replace the spring. Ultimately, I found that my throttle cable had come loose from the bracket holding the sheathing in place near the motor.

DSCN2597_zpsbb0c1b41.jpg

Crystal, I saw your post in my searching and unfortunately that I not my problem. I was looking at the return spring and I am not even sure it is replaceable. I am going to try and take the external spring route. I read that in the perfect pass troubleshooting document as well.

• 9 years later...
56 minutes ago, Luz said:

Bradfr:  I am having the same issue.  Did you ever find an attachment point for an auxiliary spring??

You probably should tag him:  @bradfr.

I think I would try giving the throttle body a bath inside and out with spray carb cleaner.  After that, give the butterfly shaft bushings a spray with some light spray oil.  Heck, while you are at it, spray the whole engine with spray oil.

If you just must have more spring, get a roll of piano wire and make one that fits on the shaft and is a bit bigger diameter than the OEM spring.

Wow,  this was so long ago I don't recall how I resolved.   I feel like I did not end up putting an additional spring on.   I believe I cleaned everything really well and lubed.   I may have even replaced the throttle cable.   I am fairly confident I did not replace the return spring and did not add an additional spring.