Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What engine would you put in your boat?

Michigan boarder

I had a mishap with the engine this summer and wrecked a piston, possibly damaged the block too. I will know more after we pull the engine. I am leaning towards buying a new engine and putting it in, rather than the rebuild.

So, if you were in my shoes, and let's say budget is not an issue, what engine would you pick? Boat is a '94 Echelon Lx, in otherwise very good shape, solid 8 out of 10. No ECM, it is currently with a Weber carb on the old 265hp Merc Magnum Skier. Usage varies from barefooting to surfing and everything inbetween, but primarily barefooting and surfing. I plan on keeping it indefinitely. I will swap the engine myself, and have a shipping dock to receive delivery.

What about this bad boy? http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-383-390HP-456FTLBS-STROKER-MARINE-ENGINE-350-305-/200970939615?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ecacd2cdf&vxp=mtr#shpCntId

post-8942-0-01848000-1381238949_thumb.jp

Do I really need to SUGGEST a motor to you?!?

You have but 1 option.... :rofl:

Come down and take mine out for a spin if you have any doubts....

post-15441-0-06255600-1381239456_thumb.j

Edited by JB-FOOT
  • Like 2

JB, I wish that was more in reach. There's one on Ebay for $11k (almost the value of my boat) with the 1.5:1 tranny...suppose I could sell the tranny? So let's narrow it down a little bit. Something without EFI, as that just adds another $2k to the equation.

Doesn't Indmar make a carb'd Monsoon 350ci? Seems like a cheap way to go and it's a bit of an upgrade for you.

The big block would be fun though, my friend has your boat with the 454. Mucho fun.

JB, I wish that was more in reach. There's one on Ebay for $11k (almost the value of my boat) with the 1.5:1 tranny...suppose I could sell the tranny? So let's narrow it down a little bit. Something without EFI, as that just adds another $2k to the equation.

As you know, we have a few Malibus in our quiver that we barefoot with...

3 Echelons and 1 Flightcraft

the Flightcraft is running a 260 HP carbed 350 Mag (46.5 mph) 13-13 1/2 prop

we have my old 95 Echelon XL with the 395 HP, 454 (51.5 mph) 13x14 prop

we have my new 94 Echelon Closed Bow with the 390 HP, 454 (52.5 mph) 13x14 prop

And we have a 97 Echelon Closed Bow with a 320 HP, 350 EFI Monsoon (47.5 mph) 13x13 prop

So, if you get a Monsoon EFI you will be quite impressed from what you have now...

If you are going to upgrade motors...GO EFI, not a carb!!!!! just my EXPERIENCED .02 with Echelons

By the way....ALL 3 of the Echelons are running 1:1 tranny ratios, just that the big blocks are running a taller prop to keep from over revving...

Edited by JB-FOOT
  • Like 2

Rearding the mishap, I feel for you or anyone having to go thru this, anything not too painful to say as a lesson(s) learned?

Seriously though, wasn't there a guy with a Flightcraft that had a 383 (Hammerhead?) in it? That would get me the hp, and keep the RPM's down. Overkill? My carb is brand new, one of the last things I changed out before the engine failed. Could I tune that for a Monsoon? I might call the guy with the 454 that was on Ebay. It would feel better having that, knowing that it was a factory option, but gotta come wayyyy off that price. I dunno.

The whole other direction I could take this is repairing what I have. Got a half day off tomorrow afternoon, hoping to talk to some guys about repair options. I just seems like the crate engines are faster to get, reputable, warranteed, etc. I don't have a guy that I know that I could take it too, so flying blind with trust.

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/complete-engine-package-boat-inboard-vdrive-replacement-p-3626.html

Economically, you just can't spend that kind of scratch because in the end you still have a 20 year old carbed boat. I say you ask around and find an engine shop with a good rep and see if you can get a rebuild done for $3k or less.

• Like 2

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/complete-engine-package-boat-inboard-vdrive-replacement-p-3626.html

Economically, you just can't spend that kind of scratch because in the end you still have a 20 year old carbed boat. I say you ask around and find an engine shop with a good rep and see if you can get a rebuild done for $3k or less.

Hey, in Troy. That's a little under 4 hours from me, not bad.

Yeah, that engine is way too spendy at over $7,000 for just another 5.7 plain Jane. But mostly because I don't need all the stuff on it (the carb, the manifolds, the alternator, etc.). Here's my replacement engine without the bolt ons, for $2,200.

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/marine-engine-198795-p-167.html

Got some research to do to find a good engine guy locally.

I wish I knew for sure what happened inside the engine, but it appears that the head gasket failed between cylinders #3 and #5, which allowed detonation of #5. And I think I can trace that head gasket failure to the summer of 2011 when my wife brought the overheating, beeping boat to the dock saying "I don't know why it's beeping like that, everything looks normal". While the guage was at 220. Impeller failure.

So the lesson? Spend some time on alarms and let other drivers (wife, kids) know to SHUT IT DOWN when an alarm goes off.

Thanks for sharing. Spot on.

On the other hand, The OP has a great boat, in great shape, he can easily get another ten years out of her, why not upgrade the engine? Go nuts and drop in a turnkey EFI 454, if not the 383 with your new carb seems like a reasonable approach.

• Like 3

If the block is salvageable and you can just replace one or more pistons, rings, heads, and cam you're looking at a substantial increase in HP.

I'd take it to an engine builder and have it measured to see where you're at before proceeding. Nothing wrong with a carbed SBC.

Upgrade your block with a crank kit to a 383 and a set of aluminum heads. You won't regret it. It will pull like a big block but will be lighter

Edited by Malibuss

On the other hand, The OP has a great boat, in great shape, he can easily get another ten years out of her, why not upgrade the engine? Go nuts and drop in a turnkey EFI 454, if not the 383 with your new carb seems like a reasonable approach.

That's some good old fashioned Boz logic right there!! I can see another 5 years on that boat for sure before I get too itchy. And if it's a screamer, I might never get itchy.

If the block is salvageable and you can just replace one or more pistons, rings, heads, and cam you're looking at a substantial increase in HP.

I'd take it to an engine builder and have it measured to see where you're at before proceeding. Nothing wrong with a carbed SBC.

Yep, I'm going to explore all of the options before making any moves. Got some names lined up for tomorrow. That's why I bailed on this in the summer, way to much to research and I wanted to take my time making the right 2k or 5k decision, this will probably (hopefully) be the only boat engine I replace.

Upgrade your block with a crank kit to a 383 and a set of aluminum heads. You won't regret it. It will pull like a big block but will be lighter

I like that idea. I like that a lot. We'll see what kind of info I can scrounge up tomorrow. I'll probably pull the engine on Sunday.

Tooling around the net, it looks like a 383 would weigh in around 550lbs, and a 454 is like 1,000? Is that right?

Yes, as I mentioned the Malibu Monsoon we use in our quiver gets good speed...

And the 383 (punched out 350) will do great....

But don't be fooled by HO small blocks competing with Big Blocks...that big block may weigh more, but is has NO IDEA how many people are behind it, nor does it care...and it keeps the RPM'S Low unlike a HO Small block...

Just sayin`

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db1xmdJCKAs

behind the 95 LX with 454efi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qubZHStrveY

behind my 94 closed bow 454 efi

Does it look like the added wake causes problems?

Nope, I didn't think so...and at 3600 rpm I am running 40-41 mph.

Edited by JB-FOOT

GM perfomance zz4 350 or 383. Get the short block, around 2200 and 3400 respectively. HAve your heads rebuilt, and put them on the engine if applicable. Those engines are strong in power and build. I put a 350 in my old I/O with an edelbrock carb and Mallory ignition system, it would cavitate the prop at 30 mph when you dropped the throttle. Just my opinion, but they are a good engine.

Rebuilding an engine using either the current heads OR block with a late model VORTEC heads or block is not an option. The pre vortec intake manifold is a 12 bolt and a Vortec is 8 bolt. There is a Big HP difference between the original engine and a Vortec. I would buy a Vortec long block and intake and reuse the other bolt on parts. Essentially you'll have a carbed Monsoon.

OK, I've traveled from one end of the new & reman engine internet universe to the other. I am still in the "kicking around ideas" mode. Here are some thoughts, pretty much running the full spectrum:

1. 454 EFI

--Needs to be fully dressed w/ fuel system, I have no parts to transfer to it

--Where is a good source to price one?

2. 383 carbed

--Purchase with new heads installed

--Will all of the components from my current engine work on this? Manifolds, pulleys, mech. fuel pump, oil sender, cooling system, etc.

--I expect to have to retune the carb. Anything else?

--I can always add fuel injection later, right?

3. 350 crate engine

--cheap and simple replacement

--new heads?

--retune carb?

--cam?

One question is exhaust with all of these, do I need to swap it all out to 4"? Currently running the factory 3".

These are a lot of the same questions I'm going to ask some local guys, throwing in the option of repairing the current block. My gut reaction is screw the 350, and use this opportunity. I'd like the 454 (I'd put a freaking sticker on the windshield), that would be just wicked.