Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Opinions on This Boat

BlknYlwT22

ahopkins22LSV

I like that one better!

I agree with shawndoggy on this one.

:plus1:

Just a random thought.... Have you thought about an A22 or T22? If you are in the 50-55k range you could get a pretty nice Axis. (sorry if this has been brought up already)

:plus1:

Just a random thought.... Have you thought about an A22 or T22? If you are in the 50-55k range you could get a pretty nice Axis. (sorry if this has been brought up already)

Yes I have. I hate pickle fork so the A22 is out but I was really excited when the T22 came out but I assumed the price would be too high. At the same time I am not totally in love with the tower. T22 with a T3 would be awesome!

Went to a local boat show today and spent a little bit of time in most of the big name brands. I spent the most time in the T22. There is certainly a difference in quality between the T22 and Malibu line but not nearly as noticeable going from our '04. As of right now I am weighing between the T22, a 2010 or newer VLX, and lastly a vRide. I am leaning towards the T22 for a few different reasons. With the T22 I am getting a performer and I can build the boat exactly to the specs I like. It doesn't come with all the touch screens and electronics and yet it has SG and PNP. It is a great value boat and should check every single box of our requirements.

Edited by 2004WakeSetterVLX

Went to a local boat show today and spent a little bit of time in most of the big name brands. I spent the most time in the T22. There is certainly a difference in quality between the T22 and Malibu line but not nearly as noticeable going from our '04. As of right now I am weighing between the T22, a 2010 or newer VLX, and lastly a vRide. I am leaning towards the T22 for a few different reasons. With the T22 I am getting a performer and I can build the boat exactly to the specs I like. It doesn't come with all the touch screens and electronics and yet it has SG and PNP. It is a great value boat and should check every single box of our requirements.

Can you get the T22 with a power wedge? That 2010 VLX for $53k seems like a great deal, what are T22's going for loaded up with your options you want? $60k+?

Can you get the T22 with a power wedge? That 2010 VLX for $53k seems like a great deal, what are T22's going for loaded up with your options you want? $60k+?

No power wedge on the T22. I have a feeling based on a few pictures that condition will be an issue on that particular boat. The T22 will have new warranty and to be honest I don't really want all the screens and electronics that are on the VLX.

How does the manual wedge work? Can you set it at certain angles or does it float? I am just wondering how it works, never used one before.

If you don't want any computer screens then definitely the wakesetter series is not for you. The T22 looks like a great boat, I like it so much better than the A22. Probably because I prefer a traditional bow.

The manual floating wedge is easy, just take two fingers and push in 2 pins, the wedge drops. Takes 2 seconds and you just get part of your hand wet reaching through the trap door. To put it up, just grab one arm and pull up, it locks back in place.

How does the manual wedge work? Can you set it at certain angles or does it float? I am just wondering how it works, never used one before.

If you don't want any computer screens then definitely the wakesetter series is not for you. The T22 looks like a great boat, I like it so much better than the A22. Probably because I prefer a traditional bow.

The manual wedge is a set angle. Can't adjust unless you mod.

Fman

The manual wedge is free floating, no set points. It adjusts to the seed of the boat.

Last summer early in the season just after braking in the TXi, and new to having a wedge, I proceeded to

go on a barefoot run right after my daughter finshed her wake session. Lol.... forgot ot put

the wege up! After my run my son driving mentioned it took a little longer to get up to speed,

thats when we realized hummmmmm wedge was still down.

Intereting thing was that once the boat got up, she plained out just fine, so I guess the wedge did

its own planning out. Didn't hold the boat back, had this been a pwr wedge locked, think we would

have noticed right away.

The manual floating wedge is easy, just take two fingers and push in 2 pins, the wedge drops. Takes 2 seconds and you just get part of your hand wet reaching through the trap door. To put it up, just grab one arm and pull up, it locks back in place.

You make it sound so easy ;) My FIL has one on his response and we've always felt lucky if the pins decided to move without super hero strength or a pair of pliers

Edited by oldjeep

You make it sound so easy ;) My FIL has one on his response and we've always felt lucky if the pins decided to move without super hero strength or a pair of pliers

Have you tried lubricating them?

For the old fixed manual wedge this is true, all the newer boats use the stainless steel floater which have stoppers that you can adjust to adjust the angle.

I'm guessing you are talking about the older fixed model, I know for mine one of the rods with the pins can rotate (which I know it shouldn't, but structurally it doesn't matter). Anyway depending on which way it is oriented I cannot move it at all just because of the way it was machined. So in addition to trying lube you could try checking to see if anything is binding and maybe grind a little off to allow for clearance. If this doesn't make any sense I'll try to take some pictures when I get home.... I guess this is kind of a hijack so PM me if you want.

I was just curious how this works with Surfgate, we have found on our VLX the wedge completely down in the lowest position, or between one or two clicks up seems to be about perfect depending on how many peeps are in the boat. I wonder what "setting" the manual wedge hangs at when at surfing speeds???

Edited by Fman

<br />You make it sound so easy ;) My FIL has one on his response and we've always felt lucky if the pins decided to move without super hero strength or a pair of pliers

<br /><br />Here's a trick. When you go to push the pins in and they don't want to go, lift up on the wedge a little at the same time as you are pushing the pins in.

- Two different wedges seem to be getting mentioned and confused.

- The manual wedge was used from 1998 (I believe that was the into year) through 2006. In 2007, it was replaced by the floating wedge.

- The manual wedge is locked down in one position when deployed. The floating wedge is free floating and NOT locked down when deployed.

- The floating wedge is all stainless including the bracket. There were several flavors of the manual wedge, one of which was partially stainless.

- The floating wedge gets called the manual wedge because you have to manually deploy it unlike the Power Wedge. That said, it is generally referred to as the floating wedge as it is notably different than the earlier manual wedges.

• Like 2

<br /><br />Here's a trick. When you go to push the pins in and they don't want to go, lift up on the wedge a little at the same time as you are pushing the pins in.

Yes we do that. This is a non stainless wedge, so the pins get pretty sticky. Especially since they only get used once a year. I have a feeling that my vtx will be pulling all the wake board duty at my wife's annual family ski week

• Like 1