Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Opinions on This Boat

BlknYlwT22

Yes me too. Right now it doesn't look bad, but put the 2013 graphics or 2014 and you have a winner. I would also get rid of the tan bimini and get a black one, but that's just my opinion.

I'd just skip the graphics all together and just leave it with the Malibu stickers. Just my personal pref, I don't care for the huge wakesetter logos no matter which ones they are - do like the tribal the least. If it is not a huge pain, they will be removed from my new 2012 when I take it out of storage.

ahopkins22LSV

I'd just skip the graphics all together and just leave it with the Malibu stickers. Just my personal pref, I don't care for the huge wakesetter logos no matter which ones they are - do like the tribal the least. If it is not a huge pain, they will be removed from my new 2012 when I take it out of storage.

I hear ya, it depends on the boat for me. That one would for sure look very good naked.

And your graphics should come off pretty easy with a heat gun.

Stumbled upon this boat. Only thing I see missing is a front ballast. Take the ride graphics off and this may be a very tempting boat... http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2011-Malibu-V-ride-21-606080

Anything I am giving up on the '04 to go to this? I would be going from the Monsoon 340 to the LCR 330. Not sure if that's a big deal or not.

Edited by 2004WakeSetterVLX

Stumbled upon this boat. Only thing I see missing is a front ballast. Take the ride graphics off and this may be a very tempting boat... http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2011-Malibu-V-ride-21-606080

Anything I am giving up on the '04 to go to this? I would be going from the Monsoon 340 to the LCR 330. Not sure if that's a big deal or not.

That seems like a really good price for that boat. Steering wheel in your '04 is nicer (though I am selling that wheel...). LCR is a downgrade but I doubt there is much of a real-world power difference between the two motors. I don't imagine you knocking that 45k price down any further...that's cheap!

How well would this boat surf? The specs page says the V-Ride has the same hull as the VLX but the beam is 2" narrower. With the addition of a bow ballast, I would be this boat would be significantly better than our VLX.

Since is has been said that this boat is a good deal, what do you think this boat is worth?

How well would this boat surf? The specs page says the V-Ride has the same hull as the VLX but the beam is 2" narrower. With the addition of a bow ballast, I would be this boat would be significantly better than our VLX.

Since is has been said that this boat is a good deal, what do you think this boat is worth?

That V-ride is the '05 - '08 VLX hull, not the '09+ hull. Will surf as well as any '05 - '08 VLX.
  • Like 1

It will surf "OK". If the sole consideration is the best surf wake you can get for $45k, there are better choices (most of them not malibu). It will be better than your current boat, but not a ton better, and the issues you have now with minimal freeboard will still be there with the boat. That boat does feel a lot bigger inside than the first gen vlx (yours) though.

Surfing is not the sole purpose, I just know my current hull is limited. Just want a better performing boat without an illusion tower. I don't need all the gadgets and screens. Just a simple boat that has a good wake, surf wave, and feels as nice as our '04. I love the fact that this has the G3 tower and has an updated appearance. Sure, I would love to have a 2010 VLX but there is a significant jump in price and the additional options are not "must haves".

Looks like I may be battling someone else for the boat. Talked to the owner and they have someone coming to look at it tomorrow. Not a whole lot I can do 500 miles away. Ready to make a move on it but obviously want to go through the normal steps. Not real fun when you feel you have to rush to make a decision.

Offer a $1,000 deposit right now to put you first in line, subject to successful dealer checkout (or whatever other test you want to impose).

That is our plan. Going to talk more with the seller tonight.

Alright guys. Looks like this boat is a go. He is sending some more detailed pics in the AM but sounds like this boat is just about perfect (as it should be with only 10 hours on it). We are planning on sending a deposit and then having the boat looked at by the dealer once it gets a little warmer out. Based on all the facts, though, this boat should be a go. I just want to get everyone's final opinion if this is the absolute boat to pull the trigger on, so I am going to do a quick comparison.

2004 VLX - 290 hours, 340 Monsoon, older hull, Titan II, fixed racks, manual wedge, perfect pass, dual battery, no bow ballast, heater, pop up table, evo cover, teak platform

2011 V-Ride - 10 Hours, 330 LCR, 05-08 VLX Hull, G3, spinner racks, power wedge, precision pro speed control, no dual battery, no bow ballast, no heater, no pop up table, Malibu cover, fiberglass platform.

The stereo will need to be upgraded in the V-Ride but may try to use some of our updated stereo from the VLX. The heater, dual battery, and bow ballast could always been installed but not sure how much of a pain/expense that is. I'm thinking it is a no brainer to upgrade but I wish the V-Ride was loaded to a T like our VLX. Also, I am struggling of going from a Wakesetter to a V-Ride but that is foolish I know.

Any thoughts or opinions??

• Like 1

Yes. Either strip the ride graphics and go naked, or you could add wakesetter graphics.<br />Stereo is no biggie. 90% of the boats you'll find have either no stereo or factory stereo. That can be changed easily. <br />For bow ballast I prefer 300# of leadwake bags. Easy to move around too. <br />You could also plumb a W711 under the seats and still seat people. <br /><br />Going from a wakesetter to a V ride is no big deal. Better tower and hull. Dual battery and heater<br />Can be added too. Shouldn't be too bad. Table we would never use honestly, could be different for you though.

I've done all of those projects (dual battery, heater, stereo, ballast). I'm no professional mechanic by any means. There are plenty of resources on here to study before you start, and none of those projects is that hard.

dual battery is a piece of cake and with the Blue Sea add-a-battery, you can put together a nicer setup than the factory gives you anyway. 5/10 DIY difficulty (it's really a lot easier than that ... the "hard" part is learning how your boat's 12v charging system works if you don't know already).

Likewise, heater isn't that hard. 4/10 DIY difficulty?

Stereo... I'd always rather do that myself. Can be as easy or as difficult as your tastes allow/demand.

Ballast... a w709 horseshoe sack under the seats still leaves some storage (under the bow filler if nothing else) in the bow and will give you similar weight to what you would've had with factory ballast. Run it from a reversible johnson pump and you will love it. Probably a 5/10 on the DIY dificulty scale. Again, not that "hard," but drilling a big hole in the bottom of the boat is something you want to be sure you are doing in the right place.

table.... I've never had one, but the one time I was out with a buddy and he broke it out it seemed kindof dumb.

Based on all that info, I better jump on this opportunity. Probably won't find a better deal on a boat that fits our wants/needs.

I keep catching myself comparing this boat to what a 2011 VLX is and that is just not fair. I just wanted to make sure I won't be missing anything from our '04.