Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Opinions on This Boat

BlknYlwT22

Just talked to the owner and am a little disappointed. There is a 2.5 foot scratch on the starboard side and the vinyl is pulling away on one of the rear hatches near the latch. I know those are both things that can be fixed but our current boats exterior is mint. At the same time, the boat sits in the water on the weekends and on a trailer in the drive way during the week. Just the negatives that really bother me I guess. The part that makes this tough is most boats of this era do not have the Titan tower.

Just talked to the owner and am a little disappointed. There is a 2.5 foot scratch on the starboard side and the vinyl is pulling away on one of the rear hatches near the latch. I know those are both things that can be fixed but our current boats exterior is mint. At the same time, the boat sits in the water on the weekends and on a trailer in the drive way during the week. Just the negatives that really bother me I guess. The part that makes this tough is most boats of this era do not have the Titan tower.

Never fall in love with it or the deal is already done. Do the repair math as well as a deep dive on your psyche on whether you can ever forget about the 2.5' scratch.

all things that can be fixed. I bought my 06 this spring with 220 hours on it. I put 70 hours on it this summer. Its a great boat, very stable, and with additional ballast bags you can throw a massive surf wake. i'd say that thing would be 35-38 range in my area.

Seems like a minor repair to me. The question I'd be asking myself was if it was worth it to upgrade from an 04 to an 06. You'll gain a bit in the interior size & a few features. But is it worth the expense?

Minor repair but if you are happy with your current rig I would just stick with it. I don't think there is that much to be gained out of the 06 over the 04. That said, if you do decide on the boat I would say 35k tops at the end of the season and having to make a few repairs.

Here is a picture of the scratch I mentioned above.

D350956E-5E83-4599-9CE0-6FFAABE86A04-704

I totally understand where you guys are coming from on whether it is worth upgrading or not. Here is a list of why I would like to.

• Updated hull and bow ballast (better performance surfing and wakeboarding)
  • Updated hull should allow boat to ride a bit better in the chop
  • More interior space
  • Titan III tower is much better looking than our current Titan II
  • The 06-07 graphics are my favorite
  • Love this color scheme

I realize a lot of what I am listing is appearance items and quite frankly that's probably what pushes me the most. I do think there would be a significant change in surf wave as well with the extra bow ballast and hull change. As far as appearance goes, I am starting to feel like our current boat is beginning to look dated (problem is it will be tough to match its condition both inside and out). The '06 looks a lot more updated and comes at a small cost when compared to a 2010 VLX. When eliminating boats with the original illusion tower the choices are narrowed considerably.

Based on what you guys are saying maybe there won't be a big difference in the boats performance though. I guess I am torn.

Edited by 2004WakeSetterVLX

I guess it all depends on what you can get for yours. I would agree though, that hull is significantly improved over what you have now. And that scratch doesn't appear to be that big of a deal and it's in the white which is even easier to fix.

Edited by Ndawg12

Well you can get the graphics and aftermarket bow ballast, and I have been on both hulls back to back. I noticed a little bit of difference but not enough to warrant an upgrade. JMO

changed in 05, changed again in 09.

Having owned a vride, I think the 05 vlx hull is a big upgrade. Much much bigger than the additional 6" would suggest. Also bow ballast and T3. I like. That's totally the sweet spot for best used vdrive imho. Aside from surfgate, new boats don't do anything better, just with more screens and more bling.

• Like 2

I'm out on this boat. Just spoke with someone who looked at it this past weekend. Just too many things that I don't want to get into. Obviously the scratch for one and then I guess the rear pads have been stained by the factory Malibu cover. The boat sits in the driveway so this is of no surprise since the that is a common issue.

Not sure if I should start a new thread or what but I need the crew's help to spend my money! I need an 06-07 VLX with the T3 tower that has fairly low hours! The boat that this thread was about was listed for $38,900 so I would like to find something in the 35-40K range.

Edited by 2004WakeSetterVLX

Based on what you guys are saying maybe there won't be a big difference in the boats performance though. I guess I am torn.

The scratch can be repaired pretty easily. It's even a DIY job.

I'd get out there & ride behind the newer hull. Maybe not that particular boat, but one similar. Weight it down, surf it, ride it & drive it. It'll be an improvement, no doubt. Then you have a more informed basis for your decision.

I've ridden behind both. And for what I'm doing on a foil, it would not be worth a lot on the monthly payment & term length.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Regarding the rear pads...............I have had that problem with three out of three Malibu boats and one Centurion. After a few days in direct sun the discoloration either lightened considerably or completely disappeared.

The end of the season means the seller is probably willing to negotiate. It also gives you all winter to fix what needs fixing. My approach would be to assign a value to the defects and make an offer. Why do I say that? The odds are very much against you finding a perfect 2006. Especially a perfect 2006 with a T3 tower.......and colors that you like. This one sounds like it is as close to perfect as you are going to get. If you are not a DIY guy I can understand why you would be put off by gel and vinyl repairs......BUT.....any 7 yr old boat is going to have a few dings.

Talked to the seller again and told him I would need to be around 37k to even be motivated to drive the 5.5 hours to look at the boat. He felt that he and his co-owner (boat is shared by two families) would need 38k to pull the trigger. I guess the boat listing started at 42k and has dropped to $38,900.

Anyways, we got a quote of around $1,000 to fix the scratch (mind you this is me sending a picture to a friend that runs a body shop), figuring another $1,000 to replace the vinyl of the rear hatches, and $1,000-$1,500 in stereo work. Is this boat worth it? Probably a hard question to answer without physically looking at the boat in person but that is where things are at right now.

That's almost $5k afterwards and there is still sales tax, registration, etc. I wouldn't go below 40 when it is all said and done. We will look for you, haha just like Levi's thread. Still plenty of time left before next year.

Talked to the seller again and told him I would need to be around 37k to even be motivated to drive the 5.5 hours to look at the boat. He felt that he and his co-owner (boat is shared by two families) would need 38k to pull the trigger. I guess the boat listing started at 42k and has dropped to $38,900.

Anyways, we got a quote of around $1,000 to fix the scratch (mind you this is me sending a picture to a friend that runs a body shop), figuring another $1,000 to replace the vinyl of the rear hatches, and $1,000-$1,500 in stereo work. Is this boat worth it? Probably a hard question to answer without physically looking at the boat in person but that is where things are at right now.

Those prices quoted to you are way out of line. I replaced all 3 v drive panels on my old centurion for $350 and there's no way that scratch can be 1k, that being said stick to your offer that your comfortable at. I'd explain to them it's almost winter time and how much is it gonna cost them to hold the boat through winter

Just found out last night that a good buddy of mine will be selling his 05 VLX (same hull) soon. Polished T3 tower, manual wedge, quad ballast, monsoon, and super clean with ~300 hours. And it could be had for considerably less than what the OP posted. PM me if interested.