Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Opinions on This Boat

BlknYlwT22

I have stumbled upon a 2006 Wakesetter VLX that my family and I really like. It has 270 hours, manual wedge, bow, mid, and rear ballast, tandem trailer, and the Titan III tower, which is a dream come true. What do you guys think is a fair price for this boat assuming it is in very nice condition? and are there any common issues on the 06s that I need to look for? Thanks for the help!

I was gonna say $40k tops but, dream come true = what YOU'RE willing to pay with top end being what your budget can handle. Buy the boat you want, this isn't a dress rehearsal, you only live once... And a few other cliches. ;-)

Seriously though, if it is THEE boat you're looking for, it's worth becomes much higher to you. Just don't tell the seller.

Love the color except for the tan stripe. Change that to black and its perfect. I like the white tower, sets it off nicely.

Pretty sure that's silver. I sure hope that's not tan or that may ruin the boat for me. The bottom of the hull is that color too.

Price may depend on engine. Probably Monsoon, but some VLXs came with the LCR, some with HH.

With the manual wedge, you might want to see if it is the generic black and bronze or the stainless upgrade. If its the generic wedge, look to see how many screws there are on each side. The two-per-side variety are more prone to problems (that's what my boat has, though, and I'm perfectly happy with it, but I have changed out the original hardware).

I hate to post pics because of someone else recognizing it but I guess I will for you guys. I just like the boat because of the titan tower. I refuse to buy an 05-09 VLX/V-Ride with the metacraft tower.

Good philosophy in my book. You will run into issues with any boat, but it won't be with Titan tower. Likewise, the Monsoon is well known to be Malibu & Indmar's most successful & trouble free engine ever.

I like it the tower powdercoated to match the boat like that. Very unique look.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I hate to post pics because of someone else recognizing it but I guess I will for you guys. I just like the boat because of the titan tower. I refuse to buy an 05-09 VLX/V-Ride with the metacraft tower.

215844_zps5fc8acda.jpeg

:drool:

Have had my 06 VLX for a summer now - I'm guessing the $40 would be about the max you would want to pay - you didn't mention anything about stereo, cruise or carpet/upholstery condition. The issues I know of with this year model are the brackets holding the swim platform, not optimal and allow much shake and rattle. I will be replacing mine with the newer version to the tune of about $900, and I will install myself(I hear the drilling of the transom is a PITA. The other issue will depend on what part of the year it was manufactured in - if it was early the cruise won't set low enough to surf - it's an easy fix, but might allow you to "haggle" the price down a little. Overall, Have LOVEd my Bu'!

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Have had my 06 VLX for a summer now - I'm guessing the $40 would be about the max you would want to pay - you didn't mention anything about stereo, cruise or carpet/upholstery condition. The issues I know of with this year model are the brackets holding the swim platform, not optimal and allow much shake and rattle. I will be replacing mine with the newer version to the tune of about $900, and I will install myself(I hear the drilling of the transom is a PITA. The other issue will depend on what part of the year it was manufactured in - if it was early the cruise won't set low enough to surf - it's an easy fix, but might allow you to "haggle" the price down a little. Overall, Have LOVEd my Bu'!

Since the cat is out of the bag on the boat here are some specs.

4 ballast system (1250lbs)

Malibu speed control system

Malibu Wedge (manual)

4 in boat Kicker speakers and Kicker Solo-Baric L7 sub

2 Titan tower speakers

USB input

Malibu detachable board racks

Bimini top

Cocktail Table

Built in cooler

Heating system

Dual batteries

Depth finder

Air / water temp

Windguard

Malibu Dorsey tandem trailer

Boat appears to be in great condition. Left a VM with the seller.

Edited by 2004WakeSetterVLX

If anyone knows of any other VLXs with the T3 out there that I should consider, please let me know.

Sweet boat.... I have an 08 with the T3 tower and could not be happier. Looks good in white on that one.

The T3 is what does it for me.

Not to hijack but.... How do you fix the cruise on a 2006 so you can surf.