Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

So, where is the other quart and a half?

I am, sadly, getting ready to put my 2012 VTX into winter storage. So, after running the engine (using a fake-lake) at operating temp. for 15 minuets, I snaked the oil drain tube out one of the drain plugs, took the oil fill cap off, and removed the brass cap from the end of the drain tube. The oil, as expected, started draining slowly. "No big deal" I thought "I'll just let the oil drain over night." Well, after 48 hours of draining, I was only able to drain out 4 quarts. According to the Owners' Manual, the engine (350/350 hp Monsoon) should take 5.5 quarts. So, where is the other quart and a half? The oil filter does not hold a quart and a half of oil. The oil drain tube, by the way, is attached to the bottom of the oil pan. Honestly, I don't think pumping (siphoning) the oil out would make any difference.

Before an oil change, I always check the oil level (it's easier to read the oil level on dirty oil vs. new oil.) Then, I measure how much oil came out of the engine and put the same amount of new oil back in. With my cars, the amount of oil that comes out is (approximately) the same as the manufacturer recommended amount needed for an oil change.

The oil filter does not hold a quart and a half of oil.

Start pouring oil from a quart into your new filter and see how much of a quart of oil your new (dry) oil filter will hold. Add that to the oil that runs out of the engine when you spin the oil filter off.

It may not equal a quart and a half but according to the messes I've made down there... :-( you're gonna find most of that missing oil.

Like you I was a bit concerned at the amount of oil in the catch basin the first time but, it all worked out right.

Ya may want to check and see if there is something/restriction in the drain hose. If the oil is warmed up, it should not take more than 15 minutes to drain all the oil outta the pan.

Not sure which filter you have on, but the larger filters can hold almost a qt.

ANd if the boat is on the trailer, is the trailer and or boat level or not? sloped in the correct direction?

You'll never get it all out is what I've been told by multiple dealerships throughout the years. 4 quarts plus the the oil filter is pretty good.

If it drains slow it's not warm enough.

if you really want that last bit out?

pull the safety lanyard out.... and turn the engine over for 8-10 seconds. It wont start, but it"ll dump another 1/2 to 1 qt into the sump, the majority of which should make its way out thru that drain... eventually. most folks say this isnt necessary.... but if you are froggy...

and like what was previously mentioned, the oil filter holds 1/4 to 1/3 qt.

Also, the oil will settle after the first hard run. Seems like after every oil change I need to add another 1/2qt after I run it the first time.

and like what was previously mentioned, the oil filter holds 1/4 to 1/3 qt.

It all depends on oil filter size. I run a Mobil 1 (M1-302) filter and it holds almost a full quart of oil. I just did my oil change, filled it prior to putting it on and if you wait for the oil to settle, I got over 3/4 of a quart in there. I could have filled it up more, but with the filter being that tall, you have to tilt it into position and it would have made a mess. I'm guessing it holds a full quart when filled.

Yeper the filter will hold nearly a quart. I always charge my new oil filter. ( fill before putting it on the engine) Fill it and let it sit go back in a short time and refill. leave it just short of fill so you can put it on without spilling.

Thanks, everybody for your responses.

At first, I drained the oil with the trailer level, then I raised the tongue up as high as the crank would go. After a few hours in the max up position, I lowered the tongue as far as it would go and got a little more oil out.

The oil filter (Wix 7099) took about a half quart. I guess the other quart must be in the oil pump. I'm not really worried about it - just curious. As I mentioned in the original post, when changing the oil in my cars (2003 Corvette, 2009 WRX, and a 2012 Tundra,) the oil that comes out is about a half quart less then the manufactures recommended amount. The missing half quart is usually what is in the oil filter.