Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Searching for a '97 to '03 SSLX, VLX or SSLXi. Little help?

Asmodeus2112

I'm searching for my families next Malibu, and my craigslist, boat trader, onlyinboards etc. etc. searching isn't yielding the right boat yet. I'm patient but anxious! We've gone all season without a boat, and there is still time left down here in Texas to get out. We're on a budget, and would like to find a good value boat that I can put some time into to bring to a good condition. Looking for a good core, but am not scared of redoing the interior, adding a tower, wedge, steering cable etc. Looking for a good boat to bring back to life, but not a total rebuild. I'm hoping to broaden my net by asking ya'll if you see a good deal to be kind enough to send a link my way. Budget is about 17K on the high end, so a boat for 12K that needed 5K is right in there. Could stretch to 20K thereabouts for a killer deal. TIA.

@ Asmodeus-

I have an '02 Wakesetter (direct drive) that I was thinking about selling this winter. I bought that boat new when I was a single...now married w/ 2 kids and we have outgrown it. The boat needs some a little work inside and out(vinyl/gelcoat), but runs great. I was planning on getting the work done this winter and putting it on the market in the spring. Happy to send you a bunch of pictures and answer any questions to see if its a boat that would work for you.

Feel free to drop me an email whenever you get a chance ([email protected]).

Thanks - Jon

Do you have any size restrictions or anything else to be on the lookout for? Do you have to have a folding tower or trailer with swing away tongue? Here's on in SA I saw on cragislist today. Already has PP. It's not a BU though... Maybe they could be talked down a little bit as the cold approaches. How big is your family?

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/boa/4111864972.html

Edited by petrie141

Have you seen this one in town? 2000 sunsetter looks like a VLX with perfect pass

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/4104001544.html

Thanks! Yes, I've talked to the owner on this one and he has sent me a few pics. Without saying too much this particular VLX is not for us.

I'm pretty hooked on Malibu.

I have two kids, and we often take another family with us with 5 members, so we often have 9 in the boat. A LX is the smallest boat that will cut it. If we can finish this year up ok, the bonus might allow me to move my budget up enough to get into a 23' LSV or XTi. Need a tow vehicle upgrade to go along with that, so that might not make it past the CFO...

Thanks! Yes, I've talked to the owner on this one and he has sent me a few pics. Without saying too much this particular VLX is not for us.

I'm pretty hooked on Malibu.

I have two kids, and we often take another family with us with 5 members, so we often have 9 in the boat. A LX is the smallest boat that will cut it. If we can finish this year up ok, the bonus might allow me to move my budget up enough to get into a 23' LSV or XTi. Need a tow vehicle upgrade to go along with that, so that might not make it past the CFO...

I hear ya. I have a 99vlx sunsetter and one thing to watch out for is the wrap around seating. Ours doesn't make a complete "U" behind the driver, so 9 people in something like that might be a little tight. It would be great if you're a regular footed surfer though. Shoving all those people over to that side would probably make a killer wave. I'll keep my eye on craigslist for ya. (I'm always looking anyway). How old are the kids? I have a 5 year old niece and a 2 year old nephew that come out on our boat from time to time (they live in austin too).

I hear ya. I have a 99vlx sunsetter and one thing to watch out for is the wrap around seating. Ours doesn't make a complete "U" behind the driver, so 9 people in something like that might be a little tight. It would be great if you're a regular footed surfer though. Shoving all those people over to that side would probably make a killer wave. I'll keep my eye on craigslist for ya. (I'm always looking anyway). How old are the kids? I have a 5 year old niece and a 2 year old nephew that come out on our boat from time to time (they live in austin too).

I'm addicted to craigslist right now. I love being on the market to buy a boat, but I become obsessed with searching. I know there are boats that don't make it to craigslist or the other typical sites, especially the ones that need some work. Anyway, i appreciate the extra eyes. Last year I saw a yellow VLX on the way to Dallas sitting in a boat sales yard outside of Waco. Almost bought that boat but we couldn't close a 1000k gap in price. Point is, there are boats out there, and I appreciate the extra eyes.

My son is 11, and daughter is 9. I know everyone says a VLX is better with more people, but I am a bit skeptical. I also am not sure about climbing over the rear seats and sundeck all the time to get to the swim platform. We anchor a lot and swim off the back. I had a 2001 LX and I loved the 3 piece rear seat because we could take out the middle section and just step from the floor over the transom onto the swim platform. But, on the other hand I know the wake is much better with a V drive.