Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu, Hydrofoils and Go Pro quadcopter Oct 2013

Parrothead

Dang, this thread has me all pumped to go buy a foil. Reading this forum is going to put me I the poor house. I'm seriously going to look for a used sky ski this winter now, there goes my snow sport and hunting budget...

• Like 2

I joined the foilers too...knees were just wore out. I'm going way bigger than I ever did on a board and I can walk the day after! Dalt1 and Parrothead...nice video.

Greg

• Like 1

I thought it may be expense, but then thought after dropping all that cake on a boat, what's another couple k? What about injuries? Hear they can be bad?

Over the years, we have had people injured far worse from the surf board than the foil. Foil wreck may beat you up but normally doesn't draw blood like the surf board has 3 times for us. By comparison, we probably only get the surf on 1 time out of 6 or 7 times we foil. Much higher injury rate on the surf boards for us.

I was at the point on the wakeboard where I needed to start doing 360's or back rolls. And I have a very strong self preservation instinct (that means I am a wussy). So the thought of taking a beating to learn those didn't sit very well. I have seen those falls when first trying them, and they can be brutal. Then I saw somebody learning gainers and immediately knew that I could do that. I have been addicted since. I was hoping to get the gainer this fall, but the weather has been very uncooperative, and I am a slow learner. Next summer, I am bent on having it mastered.

I was at the point on the wakeboard where I needed to start doing 360's or back rolls. And I have a very strong self preservation instinct (that means I am a wussy). So the thought of taking a beating to learn those didn't sit very well. I have seen those falls when first trying them, and they can be brutal. Then I saw somebody learning gainers and immediately knew that I could do that. I have been addicted since. I was hoping to get the gainer this fall, but the weather has been very uncooperative, and I am a slow learner. Next summer, I am bent on having it mastered.

Don't worry you will get it. I promise you I tried at least a 100 may 200 before I landed the first one. It will just click and then you will see it in your head.

• Like 1

Don't worry you will get it. I promise you I tried at least a 100 may 200 before I landed the first one. It will just click and then you will see it in your head.

I tried to do a TON on my own before we went down to AZ & rode with a bunch of guys in Parker. I got a great video of Wilborn doin an air gainer out in the flats, right off the dock, maybe 20' away from me. I took it home & watched that video over & over & over, analyzed what he was doing, handle position, where his head was aimed, when he cut & dipped...... maybe 3 weeks later I landed one. Then they started coming in 2s & 3s in a run.

Learning online or thru video is great. But getting together with guys better than you is the BEST way to make progress!

• Like 1

So can we tout the line to the CFO that the foil will use less fuel because of the reduced drag and therefore by spending $2,000 on it will be saving us money on every outing, which could be used buy her to shoes, handbags or jewelry and therefore is a perfect toy for the family (this means me)

Edited by brad72

He he, yep, but some guys end up putting way more hours on their boats. Which means they're away from home more often. That might be a good or bad thing.

-
Bill

Edited by Bill_AirJunky