Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu, Hydrofoils and Go Pro quadcopter Oct 2013

Parrothead

That is very cool and for sure a cool perspective! The one water sport I have never tried and it has always greatly intrigued me....

Only try it once you are ready to make a change from the watersports you love currently. Once you start the addiction will begin.

• Like 1
martinarcher

Awesome. Pilot on the pontoon boat? Does the quad have a video feed to the boat or is it a visual flight reference from the boat? If the latter, nice job keeping the copter pointed where it needed to go. I'm a R/C plane/chopper pilot that hasn't flown much since getting into boating. The quadcopters look awesome for filming!

What's the learning curve for the hydrofoil like? Hear its super hard. Without friends that do it, would the only way to pick it up be to find someone that provides lessons? Certainly looks fun.

Awesome. Pilot on the pontoon boat? Does the quad have a video feed to the boat or is it a visual flight reference from the boat? If the latter, nice job keeping the copter pointed where it needed to go. I'm a R/C plane/chopper pilot that hasn't flown much since getting into boating. The quadcopters look awesome for filming!

No video feedback. He is visual piloting from the pontoon that we pass several times. He has only filmed with it a few times - including dumping it in the lake at party cove trying to get some close ups.

What's the learning curve for the hydrofoil like? Hear its super hard. Without friends that do it, would the only way to pick it up be to find someone that provides lessons? Certainly looks fun.

I am not a good judge of the learning curve. I got up the first time or two. My driver/riding partner (50 years old- never skiied or wakeboarded)took the majority of the summer to get up and just ride. Based on the feedback I have heard/read it is different for everyone and really depends. It helps to have others around to guide you through the process. I am not sure where you are in relation to the rest of the folks in Canada, but go check out foilforum.com and start lurking around. Hydrofoil events are called "Fly-ins" and is where everyone gets together, learns and teaches others to ride and ride better. There are many riders from up in the Canada and I have not met a foiler so far who would not let others try their ski and get dragged around for a while.

No video feedback. He is visual piloting from the pontoon that we pass several times. He has only filmed with it a few times - including dumping it in the lake at party cove trying to get some close ups.

Of what? :blush::lol:

• Like 2

Great Vid. Would love to see a picture of the Quadcopter. I have a Parkzone Radian glider that I want to trial with a Gopro at some point. Tried with my TRex 500 helicopter but a bit expensive if you take your eyes off it and crash in the water, plus not enough flight time.

I got up on my first try also, so getting up was not an issue for me, but it is for some others. I suspect that without an entry level foil, I would not have gotten addicted. If I had started on the foil I have now, I would have beat myself to crap because I wouldn't have been able to control it.

I would describe the learning curve so far for me being less of a curve and more straight linear. With wakeboarding, I seemed to get really mediocre quite quickly. I feel like I have made a steady climb with foiling, and am addicted. When at Lake Powell, I was always the first one up to get some smooth water, now I sleep in, because the water is almost always good enough for me now. That is terribly refreshing. I used to put 1,000 pounds on top of my stock ballast, now I ride without ballast. Foiling is just better!

Of what? :blush::lol:

Let me just say that while trying to get a close up.... he took his eyes off the quadcopter.... I will let your imagination take care of the rest.

Edited by Parrothead

Parrothead/redrider: thanks for the info. You've convinced me I need to pick up a foil and give it a go in the spring, but one other question: if it's as fun as it looks and u make it sound, why do u think so few do it in comparison to slalom, wake boarding and surfing?

Parrothead/redrider: thanks for the info. You've convinced me I need to pick up a foil and give it a go in the spring, but one other question: if it's as fun as it looks and u make it sound, why do u think so few do it in comparison to slalom, wake boarding and surfing?

Don't ask us. We fell for it. Ask those who ran away!

Pretty sure it comes down to two things. Their expensive... $2k - $4k for a descent ski. And they look like a weapon = dangerous. The truth is their a blast.

Great video Denny & parrothead. Love it!

-

Bill

I thought it may be expense, but then thought after dropping all that cake on a boat, what's another couple k? What about injuries? Hear they can be bad?

I thought it may be expense, but then thought after dropping all that cake on a boat, what's another couple k? What about injuries? Hear they can be bad?

Exactly.

No worse than injuries you can get on a wakeboard. Maybe worse for a foil rider because their easier to do inverts & to go huge on. But those are the same things that attract us to it.

Where are you located? I bet there are Foilforum.com members in your area that would love to share the stoke.

-

Bill

If I do a somersault into the pool I get dizzy and loose orientation for about 5 seconds so no inverts for me.

I'm the same way doing a front flip or somersault. But back rolls, gainers, and front rolls come to me much easier. I think it has something to do with the ability to spot the landing much sooner.

-

Bill

As far as the injuries go, you can hurt yourself crossing the street.... The biggest injury that I have seen personally is when a rider slips in front of the seat belt and slides down the seat. (this can be avoided by not under rotating a gainer however) Rider usually ends up with a nice raspberry on their back. Most people that you will see wear helmets as the broken eardrum is very pronounced in the sport when falling to the side from height and your ear will take a nice slap. Take this into consideration... average age of hydrofoiler is close to 42 years (based on poll from foilforum if memory serves me correctly). Just about everyone I have met in the sport has left the other water sportss due to injuries and not wanting the pain of them any longer. It is what you make it. After you get up on one, have every boat that drives by point at you and wonder what the heck you are riding, you will determine just how hurt you want to get. The first thing you will do is start jumping in front of them.... The next thing you will do is try to flip in front of them. Then you will be sitting at work on Monday and water will run out of your sinus passages from the repetitive falls trying something new on a hydrofoil. You may even find yourself sitting in a chair looking over your shoulder practicing to try and land that first roll. The crashes will not even enter your mind after you start riding. You will more likely find yourself riding the foil talking yourself into trying something you never thought you would do.... Do it. It will change you life and amount of hours you put on you boat each year... 150 and counting for this summer for me.