Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Audi Q7 Owners ? (Towing)

747captain

On a side note, I was fortunate enough to get to spend some time behind the wheel of a new 2008 6.0 TDI when I was stationed in Germany.

That's right, a twin turbo V12 diesel, what a beast, something like 490 HP & 700+ lb-ft or torque... now I'd certainly buy one of those.

I also drove the 4.2 TDI and I'd take that too.

Audi has a long sordid history of denying North Americans good vehicles. What we get here is crap. I've actually stopped buying them because of it. Audi N.A. can suck it.

On a side note, I was fortunate enough to get to spend some time behind the wheel of a new 2008 6.0 TDI when I was stationed in Germany.

That's right, a twin turbo V12 diesel, what a beast, something like 490 HP & 700+ lb-ft or torque... now I'd certainly buy one of those.

What's the towing limit on that beast?

Audi has a long sordid history of denying North Americans good vehicles. What we get here is crap. I've actually stopped buying them because of it. Audi N.A. can suck it.

FWIW, I believe that he's talking about the VW Toureag, not the Audi (although if they put that motor in the VW over there it would be surprising if they don't offer it in the Q). And you can always import one, there are people that do it. Although it will cost you north of 6 figures to do it. That's right, 6 figures for a Volkswagen. And if you can get that package in an Audi, I don't want to know what importing one would cost. <cra-cra>

FWIW, I believe that he's talking about the VW Toureag, not the Audi (although if they put that motor in the VW over there it would be surprising if they don't offer it in the Q). And you can always import one, there are people that do it. Although it will cost you north of 6 figures to do it. That's right, 6 figures for a Volkswagen. And if you can get that package in an Audi, I don't want to know what importing one would cost. <cra-cra>

Nope, it was the Q7... actually, they both were Q7s.

Not sure what the towing capacity was as I was more corned about driving them on the Autobahn. :biggrin:

Thanks for all the input from you Q7 Owners. I pulled the trigger today on the GL350 Bluetec. Drove it pulling boat and really like how it pulled.

Top speed of 70mph effortlessly. There we many other considerations that swayed me but the towing ability was just superior to my Suburbans.

Delivery Date Jan2014.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input from you Q7 Owners. I pulled the trigger today on the GL350 Bluetec. Drove it pulling boat and really like how it pulled.

Top speed of 70mph effortlessly. There we many other considerations that swayed me but the towing ability was just superior to my Suburbans.

Delivery Date Jan2014.

Congrats, please keep us posted... seems like we can't get a descent conversation on this forum concerning diesels and how they tow :rofl:

I think you need to consider a couple other things on top of the ride. whenever you load up an SUV as a tow rig to the max limit it should not be just the boat and trailer weight. most people forget that you are usually supposed to factor in some % of the loads inside the SUV as well. I had a V8 volvo XC90 which had tons of power but the tow rating was 5000lbs. in the fine print you had to factor in the cargo in the back and rear and middle seats (if you had in passengers) but did not have to factor in the driver or the front seat passenger........

towing and hauling puts alot of stresses on the overall vehicle and over time this can add up to alot of costs in repairs........ if you are exceeding the limits

I'm also curious to know what kind of mpg you guys are getting when not towing. I only tow 10% at most annually. If I trade my truck in on a q7, it would have to become my or the wife's daily driver. No way I'm spending that much $$$ to have it sit 6 months a year. I trust the epa estimates as far as I can throw them.

Edited by Pnwrider

I'm also curious to know what kind of mpg you guys are getting when not towing. I only tow 10% at most annually. If I trade my truck in on a q7, it would have to become my or the wife's daily driver. No way I'm spending that much $$$ to have it sit 6 months a year. I trust the epa estimates as far as I can throw them.

EPA estimates are really off on every truck or SUV I have owned, but are more accurate in cars. Funny how that works...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD