Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Audi Q7 Owners ? (Towing)

747captain

I currently have a 2001 Suburban towing my 23LSV. I am purchasing a 2014 Q7 TDI

Problem is Dealers won't let me pull my boat to test drive the ride.

How do I decide if it will be a good vehicle as far as ride quality compared to Suburban.

Do I need suspension package?

I tow 45 min to lake so it's a big deal to me.

3 dealers in my area have said Nada for insurance reasons.

Anxious to hear any responses to this....that diesel is enticing. Rated to pull 6600 lbs I believe.

I also was recently surprised to read that the smaller Audi Q5 SUV is rated to tow (a class-leading) 4400 lbs ....in either the diesel, 6cyl, or 4cyl 2.0 liter turbo engine. I have the 4-turbo in my A4....not sure I would consider it to have enough "grunt" to tow my boat?

Since I only tow 2x per year (and total weight of my rig is <4,000 lbs....it is something I might consider in the future).

You might also find some info on www.audiworld.com or www.audizine.com

Edited by davemac

I started thinking about the Q7 after watching someone in Kamloops with a Q7 towing a VLX. He didn't look like he was struggling at all.

Would also be interested in hearing what others have to say, preferably anyone with hills.

There is another thread on this topic, I would read through this: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/45620-audi-q7-towing-experience/

That said, if I was you I'd probably go find a used one on another dealer's lot and take it overnight. Only you can decide if you like how it tows.

Compared to the 'Burban the ride quality should not be an issue. I would definitely do air suspension package whenver possible on an SUV used for towing, makes an enormous difference.

Anxious to hear any responses to this....that diesel is enticing. Rated to pull 6600 lbs I believe.

I also was recently surprised to read that the smaller Audi Q5 SUV is rated to tow (a class-leadign) 4400 lbs ....in either the diesel, 6cyl, or 4cyl 2.0 liter turbo engine. I have the 4-turbo in my A4....not sure I would consider it to have enough "grunt" to tow my boat?

Since I only tow 2x per year (and total weight of my rig is <4,000 lbs....it is something I might consider in the future).

You might also find some info on www.audiworld.com or www.audizine.com

" I also was recently surprised to read that the smaller Audi Q5 SUV is rated to tow (a class-leadign) 4400 lbs"

I have a Jeep Liberty CRD that I use to pull mine and if class leading of 4400 lbs seams impressive then my 5000 lbs must be more than impressive (3.8 liter 4 banger) ;)... It pulls my boat mostly through neighborhood to dock... but once a month I use it to pull 250 miles to the Hill Country of Texas and average 20mpg while pulling.

Then the new Grand Cherokee is a brute @ 7400 lbs.

With that said, I don't think you will notice any pulling issues with the Q7 either, but you will notice the loss of interior space (I had a Suburban also... and this was my biggest adjustment)

Edited by kerpluxal

I have a friend that tows a 23 foot centurion Enzo.(boat is heavier than lsv,i know it's my old boat). He says it tows like a dream. Phoenix, he tows is up to osoyoos and says he doesn't even notice the hills.

I have a friend that tows a 23 foot centurion Enzo.(boat is heavier than lsv,i know it's my old boat). He says it tows like a dream. Phoenix, he tows is up to osoyoos and says he doesn't even notice the hills.

Thanks Wheelman,

Those are the hills I'm interested in. Good to know he doesn't have a problem.

Also noticed that I can get a Bang and Olufsen stereo too (though I don't think I'm going to get away with that)

Also noticed that I can get a Bang and Olufsen stereo too (though I don't think I'm going to get away with that)

...you wouldn't regret it (at least I don't)...but it wasn't a $5k option in the A4

Edited by davemac

It's a very nice sound system, but $5K nice, I'm not so sure, I can put some really nice equipment in for a lot less than that.

Plenty of people towing with Cayenne's and VW Toureg's. I wouldn't hesitate to tow a boat with a Q7, all 3 are essentially the same vehicle, just the Q7 is longer, so theoretically should be more stable towing than the other 2.

I have a 2013 VTX, towed from Calgary to Vancouver return with Q7 diesel this summer. Boat + tandem trailer + gear was probably over 5,200 lbs plus family of 5 in the rig with luggage. No issues pulling whatsoever - on steep mountain passes was working to stay at the speed limit, in a few spots would be 8 - 10km/hr off the speed limit at most without gearing it down an extra gear (with previous '02 Sunscape we had no trouble passing uphill in same spots). I have adj suspension.

Passed at least one other Q7 on the trip pulling a new LSV or VLX. New job comes with company vehicle, most likely a truck so will likely sell here shortly as don't need extra vehicle. Would buy another one any time.

I'd also consider buying a CPO Audi instead. Get a 2 year old Q7 with the CPO warranty, will save a lot of money and have the same length in warranty as a new vehicle. These depreciate a lot over the first couple of years then the depreciation really falls off from there.

Just realize that a fully prepped LSV is gonna be right at the weight limit for the Q7. My wife's TDI Touareg is rated at 7700 lbs and pulled our 2007 LSV pretty easy, but you can tell the weight is back there. I was totally impressed with the little 3.0 diesel, but not with the suspension on the Egg. If you get a Q7, you HAVE to get the air suspension or you will make the rear suspension squat horribly. There is no aftermarket airbags for that chassis, so I'm pretty much screwed. I love the Egg, probably one of the best vehicles we've owned, plenty of room, great fuel economy, great ride. It's a great choice and I will buy another one in the future......just with the air suspension.

Just realize that a fully prepped LSV is gonna be right at the weight limit for the Q7. My wife's TDI Touareg is rated at 7700 lbs and pulled our 2007 LSV pretty easy, but you can tell the weight is back there. I was totally impressed with the little 3.0 diesel, but not with the suspension on the Egg. If you get a Q7, you HAVE to get the air suspension or you will make the rear suspension squat horribly. There is no aftermarket airbags for that chassis, so I'm pretty much screwed. I love the Egg, probably one of the best vehicles we've owned, plenty of room, great fuel economy, great ride. It's a great choice and I will buy another one in the future......just with the air suspension.

I find it odd that off-the-shelf systems don't exist for the Q7, but you could have a custom AirLift setup done for your Q7. I have some buddies who could do it for you, I have no doubt at all. Shoot me a PM if you ever want to look into it. :cheers:

I'd also consider buying a CPO Audi instead. Get a 2 year old Q7 with the CPO warranty, will save a lot of money and have the same length in warranty as a new vehicle. These depreciate a lot over the first couple of years then the depreciation really falls off from there.

Absolutely this. I bought my X5 CPO and couldn't imagine paying retail for it. CPO warranties are pretty legit these days.

I would buy a Touareg new, however.

Certified Pre-Owned

as pappy said, most CPO rigs are lease-returns. My last two vehicles have been CPO lease returns.

Edited by rennis

I have nothing of substance to add, but am I the only person that abuses leased cars like weekend rentals? :crazy:

you really have to be careful when buying lease-return CPOs. I've seen a lot of really beat-on rigs that were lease returns. Ideally you try to find a vehicle that looks like the lessee was planning on buying-out at the end of the lease. Good indicators include low miles, no interior damage, overall in good condition, and especially if it was upgraded in any way. My previous CPO Tundra was a lease return and it was clear the original lessor had intended on keeping it...it was leveled, had exhaust, tint, tires, etc... was a no-brainer purhcase!

That TDI will pull great due to the diesel torque. I just went from a Suburban to an Explorer Sport. Probably similar size and weight to the Q7. I have towed my 23 footer about 1,500 miles this summer with the Sport, and it gets way better fuel economy than the Suburban, and crushes the Suburban in power. The only negative is that because the Sport is smaller, you can "feel" the boat pushing and pulling it around more than the Suburban. It's a physics thing, not anything that suspension or other work will fix. I would expect the Q7 to be similar. It does not bother me a bit - very happy with my change from Suburban to a smaller, faster, more economic hot-rod!

-- Mike

PS - I rolled the dice and did not tow before I bought the Sport...

you really have to be careful when buying lease-return CPOs. I've seen a lot of really beat-on rigs that were lease returns. Ideally you try to find a vehicle that looks like the lessee was planning on buying-out at the end of the lease. Good indicators include low miles, no interior damage, overall in good condition, and especially if it was upgraded in any way. My previous CPO Tundra was a lease return and it was clear the original lessor had intended on keeping it...it was leveled, had exhaust, tint, tires, etc... was a no-brainer purhcase!

I found when my wife bought her Audi that they were a bit picky about what vehicles they chose to be in the CPO program. We saw several Audi dealers that wouldn't but certain cars into the CPO program, even though they met the same age/mileage/model criteria as other CPO models they were selling.

Not saying this makes for a good/bad car. And like any used vehicle you need to inspect inside and out for condition of the vehicle.

I found when my wife bought her Audi that they were a bit picky about what vehicles they chose to be in the CPO program. We saw several Audi dealers that wouldn't but certain cars into the CPO program, even though they met the same age/mileage/model criteria as other CPO models they were selling.

Not saying this makes for a good/bad car. And like any used vehicle you need to inspect inside and out for condition of the vehicle.

This, & I'll add that CPO doesn't mean that it was a lease return. A lot of the cars in the program are just normal purchases that were either traded in to the dealer or purchased at auction. If the car meets the requirements as outlined by Nitrous, it's the dealer's discretion as to whether or not they want to go to the expense of making it a CPO car.

I have nothing of substance to add, but am I the only person that abuses leased cars like weekend rentals? :crazy:

What's the difference between a leased/rental car and a 4-wheel drive?

Wait for it...

There are certain places you wouldn't take a 4-wheel drive :biggrin:

On a side note, I was fortunate enough to get to spend some time behind the wheel of a new 2008 6.0 TDI when I was stationed in Germany.

That's right, a twin turbo V12 diesel, what a beast, something like 490 HP & 700+ lb-ft or torque... now I'd certainly buy one of those.

I also drove the 4.2 TDI and I'd take that too.

Edited by Hammertime