Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Excess water in bilge, starters filling with water & failing.

2011 LXi club boat. Monsoon motor, top mounted starter. No leaks, did some extensive searching and there is no visible leaks. Water is entering bilge via the lousy cover around the tower supports, rain when uncovered and people get in the boat wet. Auto/manual bilge is working. When left in auto position water gets pumped out but lots of water left behind. When you run the pump manually it will pump out some more but a significant amout of water is left in the bilge. Pump is currently located aft of the pylon and foward of the pylon is where all the excess water sits. Moving the pump foward won't be easy as there is hardware associated with the skegs and it's a tough reach. When the starter fails, we remove it and water literally pours out. We even removed the bell housing/trans looking for a leaking freeze plug. Any suggestions? Thanks

Purchase a better boat cover to replace the lousy cover, and have folks dry off a tad before entering the boat. Water should stay on the outside of the boat.

The bilge pump should remove all but a little water. Look at repositioning the bilge pump closer to the hull to remove more water.

The low point in the LXI is in the ski locker, maybe add a 2nd bilge pump in the ski locker?

2011 LXi club boat. Monsoon motor, top mounted starter. No leaks, did some extensive searching and there is no visible leaks. Water is entering bilge via the lousy cover around the tower supports, rain when uncovered and people get in the boat wet. Auto/manual bilge is working. When left in auto position water gets pumped out but lots of water left behind. When you run the pump manually it will pump out some more but a significant amout of water is left in the bilge. Pump is currently located aft of the pylon and foward of the pylon is where all the excess water sits. Moving the pump foward won't be easy as there is hardware associated with the skegs and it's a tough reach. When the starter fails, we remove it and water literally pours out. We even removed the bell housing/trans looking for a leaking freeze plug. Any suggestions? Thanks

I have the exact same issue with the builge pump but not the starter...

It seems you are not alone..... I want my boat bone dry but instead it leaks all over the place ... I have had so many leaks it is rediculous.... my boat was not sealed very well with all the through hull fittings . i have found leaks in the Bow eye hook, power wedge bolts, Rear eye hooks, Front, middle, rear plugs have all leaked even the valve on the back of shower and builge pump hoses itself have all leaked since i have had the boat and i still have a problem....

as far as finding the problem, Pull the boat out get it bone dry... open up the engine cover, tranny cover and take apart the ski locker so you can see the bolts behind the fuel tank. have a flashlight handy then launch the boat and quickly look for the leaks... if you dont find them immediately rev up the engine and or drive it in idle for a while like that

as far as the builge pump, I have the exact same issue right now... on my 2007 rlxi. Maybe Malibu could explain why the builge pump was not mounted in the lowest part of the boat? It does not make any sense to me.

So, I am doing this same project this week.

I did some research on bilge pumps and found out that the RULE pump will start and end pumping at the shallowest depth (meaning it should get more water out) My previous Sahara one needed an additional 3/4 of an inch of water before it even turned on... So i am going to re- position that in the large ski locker in the floor at the deepest point just in front of the built in cooler in the floor.

the bad part is that pump triggers automatically every few minutes to check to see if there is water. So over a long period of time it could drain a battery

On mine, I have a two door locker in the floor.. the smallest door closest to the pylon is where the cooler is. just in front of that is the larger ski locker and front drain plug is located. On my boat that is where the water is the deepest in the builge.

Hope this helps good luck

Edited by tccombs