Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Correct sound of a Hammerhead 383

I just picked up my 2005 RLXI with a 383 and it sure has an interesting sound at about 2.5k to 3k rpms. Almost a metallic clinging. Very pronounced. It is not a ping but more like a hammer hitting a piece of mettle. The engine sure appears to run very well (lots o power) so I suspect this is the correct sound of a hammerhead but wanted to hear from others what theirs sound like. Thanks in advance. Maybe someday I will be a seasoned enough Malibu owner to start answering questions. I feel like I am just asking them at this point. I sure appreciate this site and all the insight I have gained.

Generally speaking any metal on metal sounds out of your engine isn't a good thing. Have your dealer or mechanic listen to it. (broken valve spring, bad main bearings, etc?) Maybe Pete will chime in.

Joe

... like a hammer hitting a piece of mettle...

I always wondered why they named it the Hammerhead...but my guess is the proper sound coming from that engine at 3000 RPM should be something like GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Edited by rts

Yeah,

I'd be a little concerned. Only H.H. sounds I've heard was gruuuuuuunnnntttt!

Now, it doesn't sound like marbles rattling around in a large, empty tin coffee can, does it?

No, it is certainly not a ping. I took it out last night and I think I may be overstating the noise. I am fairly certain everything is right with it. It sure has gobs of power and nice speed. I will have the dealer listen to it next time I bring it in. Thanks for the feedback.