Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fresh to salt water

harleyclarkey

Hello there.

Is it possible to marinise my Seascape?

I want to use my boat more often as as I live by the sea it makes sense. What doesn't make sense it that I did not order a closed water system for my boat!! Silly.

Is it messy and is it expensive?

Many thanks in anticipation.

you need closed cooling system , anodes , flush system ,sea strainer if you like .

not as good as a factory saltwater package ..its the next best thing you could do .

your dealer could install everything for you .

you need closed cooling system , anodes , flush system ,sea strainer if you like .

not as good as a factory saltwater package ..its the next best thing you could do .

your dealer could install everything for you .

If I use my boat in sea water as she is will I wreck the engine with corrosion?

Could I flush it with fresh water after each use?

Is the closed system expensive and could it be done by a competant mechanic?

with thanks.

http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2652

if you plan to have the boat for years I would add closed cooling !

flushing is not enough in my opinion,

I think any competant mechanic can do the job.

I have used monsoon engines in saltwater with 500 hours on and no problems at all !

they all have factory saltwater package !

if you love your boat and want it problem free ...,closed cooling is the way to go in my opinion!

thks

you could put 200-700 hours on it with no problem if that is done in 1-2 years ..and if your lucky ..

I put 500 hours in 5 years and boat is perfect because of saltwater package.

and I only use boats in saltwater .

As with anything, take care of it. My Bu has seen sat water in Destin, FL many times. After each use it gets flushed and washed. After years of use there is no sign of salt water corrosion.

My last boat we ran in salt as it was two mins from the water vs 2 hours from the lake. If you are diligent with cleaning, you will be fine. I washed and flushed with salt away after every use, sprayed racks and tower with salt away from a spray bottle and wiped down. Touch, wipe, and clean everything. I had about 600 hours mostly salt and never had one issue due to it. Boat was 8 years old when I sold it. After that amount of time, I had to change the alternator, steering cable, and normal maintenance. Nothing out of the ordinary for an 8 year old boat.

With that being said, your trailer will take a bigger beating than your boat unless it is a galvanized trailer. My boat was boat brand new and the trailer lasted about three years. Replaced with an extreme galvatube and no issues after that. When I purchased the boat I said I'd never put it in salt, but it was too tempting seeing I lived 2mins from the marina. My dealer warned when I bought the bought that I should get the galvanized trailer just in case, should have listened.

Running in salt is not bad when it can save hours of driving time, but if you are a** anal as I am, you may use that time cleaning. I never once let my boat sit overnight after being in salt without flushing it and washing it. Even after our yearly Christmas cruise, we'd be off the water by 11pm, and I'd still go through my routine after.

Many thnaks for your replies and welcome advice.

Would I be testing fate if I used it in the sea and fklushed it after each use?

I see that may owners here are vigilent and flush after each sea water use but is this with a closed or open system.

I had a look at the Bakes half fresh water accessories and wonder will this be good for sea water. I have the

Monsoon 340hp EFI MPI Upgrade engine

Is the $3,550 about right for the kit??

I live 3 minutes from the Irish sea and 3 hours from the lake where I ski.....so you can see why I am thinking of the change!!

I did not have the closed cooling system

Thanks Wake.....you ran an open system and flushed the salt water every time?

And no real problems?

Nothing major. I don't know if salt away helped, but I'm a big believer in it. I would say still try to make a trip or two to the lake, just so you can rinse out your trailer every now an then. Trailer usually is affected from the inside out.

http://www.boatersplus.com/salt-away-combo-kit.html?CAWELAID=600008180000442304&catargetid=600008180000458394&cadevice=m&cagpspn=pla&%22cagpspn=pla%22&gclid=CJLp9fiehboCFSU6Qgod62YAlA#product56053

Nothing major. I don't know if salt away helped, but I'm a big believer in it. I would say still try to make a trip or two to the lake, just so you can rinse out your trailer every now an then. Trailer usually is affected from the inside out.

http://www.boatersplus.com/salt-away-combo-kit.html?CAWELAID=600008180000442304&catargetid=600008180000458394&cadevice=m&cagpspn=pla&%22cagpspn=pla%22&gclid=CJLp9fiehboCFSU6Qgod62YAlA#product56053

I have just dropped Malibu an email to see if they have an after kit.

Good idea to run it in lake water to flush the system every now and again...but it is a bit of a haul to get it there and the last bit of the road is a nightmare ..... it is so narrow. If I take it to sea without a closed system I will flush it every time and use the product you suggested.

Just remember if you opt out of a closed cooling system, when you flush your motor run it till it is at operating temperature otherwise all you will be flushing is the exhaust passages. Even with the closed system your exhaust manifolds will still deteriorate faster if you don't flush them well and it wouldn't hurt to check to check the risers for blocked ports periodically. I would add some hose points to your trailer to make it easier to flush out the beams and cross members with fresh water but don't forget to give the brakes and springs a good flush also.

If you can't find salt-away there are many other products out there that do the same thing. Even good old vinegar solution does a great job of dissolving salt, just doesn't leave behind the stated extra goodies salt-away does.

Meant to say also the cold water up in Ireland will also slow the corrosion down more than warmer water.

Edited by brad72

Another consideration is ethanol in your fuel salt water applications have found to be terrible for ethanol. Something to look at. Read power boat nation for some more info

Let's face it, none of our engines are going to last forever. Thousands of boats are used in salt water without closed cooling everyday.

Salt water will shorten the life span of components like exhaust manifolds, exhaust risers, heaters, transmission coolers and painted trailers. Just know that you'll have to replace those items more frequently than if you were using the boat in fresh water.

Buy an aluminum or galvanized trailer, be extra diligent washing, waxing, rinsing, flushing and enjoy the boat wherever you can use it.

Edited by CTSunsetter