Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which octane gas? 87 or 89 for 2014 Monsoon 330

DatTexasBoy

87 is perfectly fine. Ran it all the time in my 320 LCR EFI, and now run it in my 2012 350 Monsoon. Can not tell the difference and have never had any engine issues.

Unless you keep your boat docked on the water, I wouldn't be concerned at all with Ethanol fuel. Indmar allows for E10.

I do not quite fallow what this means, Anyone with a seasonal car, boat, atv, chainsaw, etc, should take a little extra precaution with ethanol.

If it was such a big concern, all of those Sunday driver cars would be blowing their motors up every few years...they probably go through fill-up's less often than your typical boat.

Although the presence of ethanol in the gasoline will not actually harm the mechanical operations of an engine, its side effects, if gone undetected or ignored, can cause in engine failure. The fuel systems in newer boats are built with ethanol tolerant components, but its what the ethanol blended fuel does is the tank, is where the problem lies.

Heck, please find a single person on this board that has any sort of engine failure due to running E10.

I do not know of any 1st hand, but im sure there are some burned valves and/or pistons due to excessive water in the fuel system. Its been known to collect at the end of fuel rails. This reduces the amount of fuel passing through the injector, into the cylinder. This creates a lean cylinder.

Malibu2004 Im not a scientest so I cut and paste a lot here. Do they blend the 92 with the 87 at the pump to get 89, so it maybe lower ethanol than 87

From what I understand yes they do blend 92 and 87 to get 89 at the station but that is for ethanol gas or E10

The 92 I'm talking about is non ethanol and only a few gas stations sell it in Salem Oregon. In Oregon the only non ethanol gas they sell is 92.

Cup cars now run EFI and use unleaded.

Yep; my best friend is a motor engineer for one of the Toyota teams; got hired on the last year when they went to EFI so he could do tuning on the motors.

Use non ethanol gas in your boat and all your lawnmowers, weed whackers, chainsaws, genertators, etc. If your home power tools are hard to start and you've been using ethanol gas swap it with non ethanol gas and they will run better. Ethenol gas burns to hot for small engines.

It really doesn't matter what the octane you use.

Ethanol actually burns cooler than gasoline. It has less energy per unit, which is why Flex Fuel vehicles get worse fuel mileage on E85 than they do running E10. The advantage of E85 is the supposed environmental benefits and the higher octane.

Octane does matter; you should run the lowest octane possible that still prevent detonation.

Yep; my best friend is a motor engineer for one of the Toyota teams; got hired on the last year when they went to EFI so he could do tuning on the motors.

Ethanol actually burns cooler than gasoline. It has less energy per unit, which is why Flex Fuel vehicles get worse fuel mileage on E85 than they do running E10. The advantage of E85 is the supposed environmental benefits and the higher octane.

Octane does matter; you should run the lowest octane possible that still prevent detonation.

A good friend of mine works for the cup side of TRD and my son works for a company that provides the brake components for a majority of the teams.

yes ethanol burns cooler but also slower so it can affect the timing of the burn ( not usually noticed in 10-15% blends). If you are an Albertan, Petro Canada Ultra 94 has ethanol, but 92 does not as long as you are at a station that does not have 94. Otherwise they have blender pumps that will blend the 94 down for 92 etc.and you will have ethanol. Premium 92 manufactured at Edmonton does not have ethanol. Phase separation happens if you have water enter the system and the ethanol becomes too heavy ( too much ethanol can do this too) to stay suspended and then you get this slurry at the bottom that is a nasty issue.