Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which octane gas? 87 or 89 for 2014 Monsoon 330

DatTexasBoy

I think that what Texas is asking!! What grade of gas DOES indmar recommend!

DatTexas: if no one knows, contact Indmar. I am sure you can locate their website..Call and talk to JT. He will be able to help you out. Indmar is in TN.

Edited by happypappy

Indmar recommends 89.

I run 87 in my 08. No pinging/detonation. 600hrs and counting.

And, saying a 350 is a low compression engine means nothing . There are TONS of variations on the 350. The LT1 in my last MC ran like GARBAGE on 87.

Indmar recommends 89.

I run 87 in my 08. No pinging/detonation. 600hrs and counting.

And, saying a 350 is a low compression engine means nothing . There are TONS of variations on the 350. The LT1 in my last MC ran like GARBAGE on 87.

There are tons of different "350's" out there. Your LT1 was a GEN-II SBC; likely running 10.4:1 compression ratio. The GEN-I Base Indmar motors are 9.4:1 GEN-I SBC's, so you can get away with 87.

Indmar's website now states you can run "Regular Unleaded" in their GEN-I SBC's. They are consistent in that regardless of the brand they are putting it in (unlike some of their other motors, where they vary from Regular to Premium depending on the brand, even though it is the same motor).

Not part of your question but if you can find non-ethonal 87 use that. I have an earlier moonson and have always run 87 non-ethanol and never had a fuel related issue.

Not part of your question but if you can find non-ethonal 87 use that. I have an earlier moonson and have always run 87 non-ethanol and never had a fuel related issue.

Love that ethanol ...rusts your metal gas tank, eats up your o rings, etc. and lower btu value compared to the dino stuff.....and my doritos are more expensive too!

I choose to run 92oct as its the only REAL gas I can get in my area. Choose that option to avoid problems later

Real gas? Huh? What problems would you incur later on if you didn't use real gas?

Correct me if im not accurate but also forgive me if I am. I hear about this problem form small to large engine users

Well I have heard that the ethanol additive attracts water from ambient sources. It also mixes very poorly with it, Im thinking they call this phase separation.

So with this in your tank + those expensive fuel treatment solutions (that don't prevent phase separation 100%, see Boating Mag. form earlier this summer were they tested many brands)

Then have your engine try to consume this phase separated solution Ill call it that I guarantee at best your engine will quit, this not to mention how it affects the rest of you fuel system.

I am willing to spend the extra $ at this point. I also drain my tank years end.

"Milage May Vary"

PS I use the term Real gas as Ethanol Free gas, for clarification.

I thought you were saying 92 oct was real gas (fuel) which didn't make sense.

I have only ever used 87 oct and then add Sta-Bil to a full tank for winter. I have never had any engine issue.

Correct me if im not accurate but also forgive me if I am. I hear about this problem form small to large engine users

Well I have heard that the ethanol additive attracts water from ambient sources. It also mixes very poorly with it, Im thinking they call this phase separation.

So with this in your tank + those expensive fuel treatment solutions (that don't prevent phase separation 100%, see Boating Mag. form earlier this summer were they tested many brands)

Then have your engine try to consume this phase separated solution Ill call it that I guarantee at best your engine will quit, this not to mention how it affects the rest of you fuel system.

I am willing to spend the extra $ at this point. I also drain my tank years end.

"Milage May Vary"

PS I use the term Real gas as Ethanol Free gas, for clarification.

I am on the other coast, so I dont' know. So in NC they add ethanal to the 85 and maybe 87, but not to the 92? Do you have the option of the 3 octanes at the gas pump?

And you are right, ethanol does not stay blended, it attracts water and is hard on rubber components.

ethanol is a PITA !!

thanks.

I hope it stays that way for you.

Next time at your station try this out if you dare.

Warning Gas is Flammable and Can Kill You.

Fill a plastic water bottle with 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of your gas, or less if you want. Shake contents and watch what happens. Big Glob of stuff in there. Thats phase separation and thats whats in your tank when you use Ethanol Fuel. That Glob will NOT burn. Don't get me going on the Govt cramming this good deal down our throats, please.

Like I said in another post I'd use 100LL aviation gas and did on my Mercruiser IO for 15 years. Never an issue with any part of the engine and never used any stabilizer at all. This is not a recommendation for anyone to use and I can't use in on the 2011 as it has cat converters on it.

Again "You Milage May Vary" some

Phase separation is basically when the ethanol absorbs its limit of water and the blob fall out of suspension with the gasoline.

Here in NC, we typically have 87, 89 and 93. We are currently in a 10% ethanol zone, but ive heard it can actually be higher. Its added at the distributors and regulated well. You can find some non-ethanol 87, but they wont let you pump it into your car as its for off-road use only. There some stations that also carry non-ethanol 93.

Most newer fuel systems are built with ethanol tolerant components, but it can and will take its toll on older systems

All boat gas in BC Canada is premium grade, dyed red, no ethanol. All dyed gas in BC is premium. The BC govt will not allow ethanol fuel on the lakes. Alberta no such issues but my Monsoon 350 hp runs fine on either 87 or 92

Unless you keep your boat docked on the water, I wouldn't be concerned at all with Ethanol fuel. Indmar allows for E10.

If it was such a big concern, all of those Sunday driver cars would be blowing their motors up every few years...they probably go through fill-up's less often than your typical boat.

These boats are designed to run E10. You are making it out like running E10 will be the end of the motor in short order. Heck, please find a single person on this board that has any sort of engine failure due to running E10. Is it better to run 100% gas...yes, but I wouldn't be shelling out significantly more money to do so.

Not to sure how to respond to your statement.

If I can help save just one engine on these Beautiful Malibu Boats ( Id do it for CC owners as well)

So I like to look at information and research done on the subject. So Ill try to present it some here and let YOU decide ( I know you have done your research on this subject and Id like to hear it as well)

You said Indmar allows for E10. I dont disagree with that because

This is out of my owners manual 5-1

WHAT TYPE OF GASOLINE TO USE

All carbureted and standard EFI engines run on unleaded fuel of 89 octane or higher. The LSA and LS3 require 91 octane or higher. Indmar recommends purchasing fuel from a supplier that advertises that the fuel meets “TOP TIER” specifications. This fuel has additives and deter- gents that will reduce the build-up of deposits in the engine.

The intention of the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline stan-

dards is to create a winning situation for gasoline retail-
ers, engine manufacturers and boat operators. Currently,
many gasoline retailers provide fuels with lower-quality
additive packages that can build up deposits on fuel injec-
tors and on intake valves. Others can build up deposits in
combustion chambers and may lead to intake valve stick-

impacts on engine performance and vehicle responsive- ness. For a current list of gasoline retailers supplying TOP TIER gasoline, go to www.toptiergas.com and click on RETAILERS.

Fuels containing alcohol will suffer from a condition called “phase separation” over time. The condition also occurs when water is introduced to the fuel. This phase separated fuel will result in a layer of alcohol or alcohol water mixture at the bottom of the fuel tank that will cause misfires and severe damage to your engine. Damages caused by old or phase separated fuel are not covered by Indmar’s limited warranty.

To avoid this issue, buy fuel in small quantities so it gets used up instead of sitting in the tank for more than two weeks. Be diligent about preventing water from contami- nating the fuel. Use Marine Formula Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer every time you add fuel. If the fuel has experienced phase separation, the tank must be drained and the fuel disposed of

You said You are making it out like running E10 will be the end of the motor in short order

What I ment to say SEE ABOVE (I likened that to failure). Sorry

You said Heck, please find a single person on this board that has any sort of engine failure due to running E10.If it was such a big concern, all of those Sunday driver cars would be blowing their motors up every few years...they probably go through fill-up's less often than your typical boat.

And we will let car owners discuss how ethanol affects them, this is a Boat Forum.

And what if there isn't a single engine failure , SO WHAT. That does not mean that this Phase Separated Gas isn't lurking in someone tank ready to do damage.

is it? See amount needed and warnings in the links I provided below but please do your own research to convince you.

You said Is it better to run 100% gas...yes, but I wouldn't be shelling out significantly more money to do so.

Why do you say its better to run 100% gas? I guess its do to $$ and thats ok by me for YOU.

I am not a gambler on this issue and what is significant to some may not be to others, (not even close to a 1%). So no offense.

i look at this way 50/70 hours year X 5GPH (just a guess on my part) X $.70 difference in price between 87 10% ethanol gas and 92 No ethanol = $500 in gas (fuzzy math for rounding purposes).

Whats cost of new engine NOT COVERED by warrantee or after warrantee period you guess, but i bet its in the 1000's. Its cheep insurance for ME for 5 years or longer.

Maybe Ive clarified maybe Not.

"You Milage may vary" it usually does. All we know are the facts, ma'am. SGT Joe Friday Dragnet

PS If you need further evidence see You Tube video by BOATINGLab "phase separation in Ethanol Gas"

http://www.enertechlabs.com/fuel

Excerpt from this http://fuelschool.blogspot.jp/2009/02/phase-separation-in-ethanol-blended.html

Gasoline containing Ethanol provides further challenges and dangers for marine operators (Boaters) and other users of seasonal equipment such as motorcycles, personal water-craft, snowmobiles, ATV’s, RV’s, yard maintenance, generators, and other equipment.

Gasoline containing Ethanol provides further challenges and dangers for marine operators (Boaters) and other users of seasonal equipment such as motorcycles, personal water-craft, snowmobiles, ATV’s, RV’s, yard maintenance, generators, and other equipment

You should also read this because it supports the other side of the discussion (maybe).http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/ethanolwinter.asp

and http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2011/december/ethanol.asp

Im soooooo confused now!!!!!

"You Milage may vary" it usually does. All we know are the facts, ma'am. SGT Joe Friday Dragnet. But you get to decide.

Edited by 747captain

Unless you keep your boat docked on the water, I wouldn't be concerned at all with Ethanol fuel. Indmar allows for E10.

If it was such a big concern, all of those Sunday driver cars would be blowing their motors up every few years...they probably go through fill-up's less often than your typical boat.

These boats are designed to run E10. You are making it out like running E10 will be the end of the motor in short order. Heck, please find a single person on this board that has any sort of engine failure due to running E10. Is it better to run 100% gas...yes, but I wouldn't be shelling out significantly more money to

Nascar uses 98 octane?? but I think it is leaded gasoline?

Edited by happypappy

Use non ethanol gas in your boat and all your lawnmowers, weed whackers, chainsaws, genertators, etc. If your home power tools are hard to start and you've been using ethanol gas swap it with non ethanol gas and they will run better. Ethenol gas burns to hot for small engines.

It really doesn't matter what the octane you use.

Here in Oregon you can only get it in 92.

Boats will run on ethanol gas all day long. The problem with boats is they are an open fuel system and alcohol attracts condensation which is water and you don't want that in your gas. The condensation comes in through the fuel vent when it sits on the water. You can get some kind a fuel filter vent that will not allow condensation to enter the fuel tank. I believe Nautique uses the system but anyone can install it.

Cars are a closed system so they don't have that issue.

Malibu2004 Im not a scientest so I cut and paste a lot here. Do they blend the 92 with the 87 at the pump to get 89, so it maybe lower ethanol than 87

Happypappy. I have been using 100LL for all my small appliances and my 71VW Bug vert. since 1990. I get it from my local airport( I use to own a small single engine airplane).

advantages for me are never needing any fuel system/carb work on appliance + it has a REALLY long shelf life. My pressure washer runs fine on same 2year old 100LL. No stabilizer needed. Pricey $5.50/gal But everything starts first time every time in the spring. Need to clean plugs of lead every few years.

Myth #2: E10 attracts water, so it's important to install a water separator to prevent the water reaching the engine. from link in my last post

Mercury Marine, which recently hosted a Webinar on ethanol myths, noted that ethanol does not "grab water molecules out of the air." It is hydrophilic, which means ethanol holds water. With regular gasoline (E0) as well at E10, the primary cause of water collecting in tanks is condensation on tank walls. But unlike E0, which can absorb almost no moisture, E10 can hold up to half of one percent of water by volume, and the water molecules will dissolve in the fuel. The "solubilized" water will bypass the water separator and burn harmlessly through the engine. Only if phase separation were to occur would a water separator do its job, but by then the fuel itself would be the problem. The phase-separated water/ethanol mixture would settle on the bottom of the tank near the fuel pick-up and would quickly stall out or even damage your engine. And because ethanol is used to boost octane, the remaining (low-octane) gasoline at the top of the tank would also have the potential to damage your engine.

"Mileage may Vary"