Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help On My Possible Boat Buy Decision

QmanBu

I am new to the forum, but not necessarily new to Malibu boats. I have spent lots of time on a 2007 247 LSV (friends) along with a Correct Craft SV 211. I am looking to buy a boat that is good at all around watersports along with having friends and family aboard for floating fun time.

As I am looking for a boat to call my own, I came across a 2004 Wakesetter that has the following specs:

Diamond Cut Hull (I know it is better for skiing)

direct drive 5.7 Vortec Engine with 189.8 hours

MLS system that has front and mid ballast

Wedge

Skylon Tower (No speakers but two fixed racks)

No Perfect Pass

Basic Stereo System

Teak Swim Platform

Single Axle Trailer with new tires

Cover.

Original owner who has all records and stores boat in garage at all times.

Visually, the boat is in fantastic shape, No scratches or nicks into the Gel Coat. The Interior vinyl is in great shape with no tear or stretches. Carpet is a little faded but that is to be expected.

Asking Price 22k.

My questions are: Good Price? and will I regret not having a V-Drive? I can get over the no Perfect Pass and do the stereo on my own at a later date. I know I was spoiled on my other boats mentioned, but my top dollar is right around the 22-24k mark and can't really find much in the way of a low hour good shape v-drive.

Thanks for the responses!

As you mentioned you want something to enjoy with family and friends. I think you would regret not having a v drive in terms of the layout and storage. Also if you or your family wakeboard or surf, the v drive will be able to accomadate your progression for a longer period of time. If you are having any doubts about the boat because of it being a direct drive, don't buy it. Nothing worse than making a large purchase then regretting it. End of the season is starting to happen and I'm sure you will see something come along

Just my opinion

Edited by wakebrdr94

Seems like a really good price to me with that low of hrs, and in great condition. With the ballast/wedge and tower, it will board great. And it will be an awesome ski boat. We love our DD and put 4 adults and 3 kids and all our gear/coolers etc. with plenty of extra room. A v-drive of that year and condition will be a lot more $.

Why not save the money you are going to spend on winterizing, storage, insurance, etc and have a bigger budget in the spring? I peronsally don't think that's a great deal as I've seen some vdrives in the mid 20's and the vdrive will hold its value much better. I guess it really depends on how you will be using the boat. Do you surf?

Edited by Pnwrider

Vortec motor...if you are correct it is likely the carb motor. Even if you are okay with a carbed motor, most people buying that new of a boat aren't and it will hurt you in resale as many potential buyers would simply pass on the boat regardless of price.

22k isn't all that great of a price and nothing worth jumping on.

I've had a Mastertcraft 205 and now have a 2004 VLX both boats have good points and bad points.

Depending on your budget I would go with a 1995 to 1999 Mastercraft 205 direct drive or a older 1999 to 2002, V-Drive VLX, Mastercraft V-Drive (X-Star or 205v) or Correct Craft V-Drive (Super Air)

You'll be able to get a newer boat if you go with a direct drive.

Thanks for the responses. Seems like having EFI and a v drive will be better for long term resale and pleasure while owning the boat. Might be worth holding off and seeing what comes available as winter approaches.

Good price? Yes, 22K for that boat is a good price. Only you can determine if direct drive will suit your needs. Remember, you can always sell it if you have regrets. No boat is forever.