Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 VLX with mechanical hour meter?

Asmodeus2112

I'm searching for my next Malibu, and came across a 2000 VLX a distance away. Listing says it's a "indmar 350 with 330 hp" so not really sure and no pics of the engine. Have requested pics, but in the meantime, did any 2000 VLX's come with a mechanical hour meter? Could they be carbureted? This boat has perfect pass, so maybe after they pull the speedo they added a mechanical hour meter?

01414_6TspCGapV9H_600x450%20%281%29.jpg

00I0I_8PH4CzpJ0LP_600x450.jpg

Thanks, I thought there was an hour meter on PP, but wasn't sure if maybe older models didn't have that functionality. Only reason I can think of a boat having a mechanical hour meter is if it doesn't have an ECM, which would mean carbureted, correct?

Edited by Asmodeus2112

Just got a text from the seller saying that the engine was replaced. 1000 hours on the hull, 230 on the replacement engine, that's why the mechanical meter. Running away now...

According to the brochure, the carb motor wasn't offered in VLX's.

Nice Avatar pic, jwl019. You landed that, right?

Thanks, and yeah I landed it, just not with the board under me, lol! My hands out in front didn't help break the fall or soften the landing either.

Seller says it is indmar motor, installed by dealer. Gonna need some pics.

I understand mechanical meter now, the ECM from the previous motor would read the total hours or the old motor plus new. So the hour meter is there to show the hours on the new motor...

Edited by Asmodeus2112

There is also an hr. meter built into the Lowrance digital air / water temp. gauge on the right.

It will be reading the original hrs. + new motor hrs.

So they installed perfect pass in place of the tach? That's strange. Ours replaced the speedo, probably because of the tach having the hour mete? Seems strange to me.

Oh an I see your in the Austin area too. I haven't seen another VLX on Lake Austin other than our own. It would be cool to see another one out there!