Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ECU or MMDC when gauges stop working -- how to tell which one?

I have a 2005 VLX with the Monsoon engine and about 580 hours total time. While idling home at sunset, the ECU message appeared on the MFD and the oil pressure, water temp and voltage gauges stopped working. The fuel indicator works fine. Analog speedometer inop, Perfect Pass digiital read out is fine.

Checked all the ground wires and the battery terminal connections. Reseated the connectors on the ECU and MMDC. I know that there is a two wire Canbus from one unit to the other.

My current thinking is that it is either the ECU (at $1200) or the MMDC (at $590.) Any tips on how to further troubleshoot this. There is generalized repair service on the lake. But the nearest Malibu dealer is about 100 miles from here.

Thanks for any help!

One thing to try is replacing the kill switch. When switch starts to go bad gauges don't sweep any more on start up and kind of vibrate. Happened to me on 05 Response after compounding. Piece of compound got stuck in switch was able to work it out but need to replace switch. Before I got it out ECU was displayed on screen. Take the switch lanyard out and move the switch in and out and see if it is binding or spring is worn. Also unscrew the switch and check for corrosion. At $20 its worth a try to replace

Thanks for the replies! Re the kill switch, we already have an extra piece of cardboard wedged in there to tighten the lanyard's grip. That was from years ago. Probably time for a new one. Or perhaps just take it out of the circuit. it has never been used. And the EBay link is also interesting. Makes it a $125 experiment rather than $600. Will need to look at which part number I have.