Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dehumidifier 12v..?

pedjavilotic

Anyone has solution for fighting against mold and mildew when boat is standing during season in the river,without 110/220 v so i can plug in ?The boat is standing in the river,not rails etc.

Do you use anything at all in this situation?I usually go every day for few hours boating,but sometimes, i dont go like 3-7 days,and i am not sure do i need to use anything to prevent mold and mildew ....?

i was thinking about dehumidifier that could run on 12 v....but probably there isn't that kind of thing.Once more, i CANT use 110/220v becouse the place where i keep boat during season has no plug.

I've always found that a couple of well placed containers of "No Damp" do a pretty decent job.

what kind of contain

http://www.damprid.com/

Does your cover have vent. What about a small 12v fan.

No,without vent.Its custom made,not so perfect...how should i use this fan?i mean, should i let it work all night long?will that drain battery?

ers...?

also,what if i am unable to come few days...?i don't know how long can fan work,without draining battery.

MalibuNation

Yes to draining the battery ... since you were thinking of a dehumidifier I thought you might have a battery solution. Do you have someone who can turn it off and on during the day? Remove the cover and put it back on? Maybe look at a solar solution. Awhile back someone posted a fan that ran on solar that you screw into your transom plug which I thought was a cool idea ... but not for you.

You could look into something like this:

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-products/PS12VMarine.html

or other "Low Voltage Disconnect" products.

Is your boat at a marina or a house where you could disconnect the battery and charge it.

More solutions:

http://www.caframo.com/marine/marine_products_12voltfans_sirocco807.php

I may have misunderstood you. When you said "when boat is standing during season in the river,"

So if i understand you correctly, you are storing the boat floating in the water? if so, I strongly suggest finding another option if at all possible . Because this is the worst way to store it...

Mold likes it when it is Damp, Dark and Warm conditions for long periods of time. also you will have crud growing on the hull.

obviously, you cannot pull the plugs out and let it drain properly. So you will almost always have costant water in the bilge area, So it will be very damp no matter what you do.

So you better have a good Battery and Builge pump. I'd set up a solar battery charger too since you have no power.

With a cover on it it, the boat will not brethe very well, so it will trap the moist air inside and that moisture will stick to everything as the boat heats and cools from day to day. And it makes it dark just the way mold like it...

putting a solar fan in will help. but still may not be enough to solve it.

But getting it out of the water on a hydohoist or on a trailor would be much better.

I

Edited by tccombs

I may have misunderstood you. When you said "when boat is standing during season in the river,"

So if i understand you correctly, you are storing the boat floating in the water? if so, I strongly suggest finding another option if at all possible . Because this is the worst way to store it...

Mold likes it when it is Damp, Dark and Warm conditions for long periods of time. also you will have crud growing on the hull.

obviously, you cannot pull the plugs out and let it drain properly. So you will almost always have costant water in the bilge area, So it will be very damp no matter what you do.

So you better have a good Battery and Builge pump. I'd set up a solar battery charger too since you have no power.

With a cover on it it, the boat will not brethe very well, so it will trap the moist air inside and that moisture will stick to everything as the boat heats and cools from day to day. And it makes it dark just the way mold like it...

putting a solar fan in will help. but still may not be enough to solve it.

But getting it out of the water on a hydohoist or on a trailor would be much better.

I

well,unfortunatelly, i can not put it anywhere during season,becouse i am on the river,and the water level is constantly changing, meaning that there is no solid soil able to carry hidrohoyst or similar things...I know how you guys on the lake store it and its awesome solution, but this is river....regarding trailer,that would be pain in the a**,because i am coming daily for few hours, not all day long,so to be honest it is a lot of trouble to put it in and out every single day during season...i hoped for some less expensive solution to keep boat dry inside.Im thinking about fan now, but not like the one Malibutnation said, if i saw right,they cost around few thousands $ ....wayyyyyy to much for me,but hey, thanks anyway...any ideas are welcome.

Edited by pedjavilotic
MalibuNation