Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Diamond Hull Question

kb4679

I recently sold the Sunsetter VLX because I primarily slalom ski and just don't wakeboard much anymore. I am thinking I would like to buy a pre 2005 Sunsetter LXI because I want the Diamond Hull, but still want the Sunsetter size boat. While looking through the "Malibu Hull Specifications Chart" on this website I noticed that the 2002 Sunsetter (non-LXI) is on the Diamond Hull. Does anyone out there have this boat and does it ski as well as the Sunsetter LXI?

Edited by kb4679

Looking at the specs, it's going to be very, very similar. It's a .5" narrower & 8 inches shorter, weighing 100 lbs less as Mdude pointed out. But it does hold more gas (41 gallons instead of 35) so that narrows the gap some. I pulled out my brochure from that year & from the pictures basically it looks just like a Wakesetter direct drive, right down to the notch in the windshield. Specs are the same too, so the only difference between those 2 would be the Sunsetter on the Diamond hull instead of the Wake hull. It looks also like this boat has the smaller trunk like the Wakesetter does, so if storage is important then you may want to look to the LXI, since all of that 8" difference in length is in the trunk.

Thanks for the great info guys!

Another reason I asked about the 2002 Sunsetter was I thought I might have a better chance at getting it in my garage since it is a little shorter than the LXI.

Just make sure that you know what to look for as far as the difference between a Diamond hull & Wake hull before you buy. That boat looks exactly like a Wakesetter & chances are good that the seller won't know the difference (unless he's a Crew member :)).

EDIT: It occurs to me that this is the hull that could be used to create a Diamond-hulled Ride series. :)

One note on the 8" difference from the LXi: the extra 8" is not wetted surface. The LXi trunk cantilevers back from the same SV23 hull. The wetted surface should be the same...

Just make sure that you know what to look for as far as the difference between a Diamond hull & Wake hull before you buy. That boat looks exactly like a Wakesetter & chances are good that the seller won't know the difference (unless he's a Crew member :)).

EDIT: It occurs to me that this is the hull that could be used to create a Diamond-hulled Ride series. :)

Oh good the DD lives on!!!

Hmm... I'll be darned. I was almost sure that was a typo that the 2002 SS had the Diamond hull. Looks like it got the diamond and a 3 gallon bigger tank for 2002. It had the SV23 and a 38 gallon tank for 2001.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020602083018/...om/sp.asp?ID=14

For some reason in 01' and 02' model years the Diamond hull was used in both the VLx and the SLX, but it's a good thing!!

Oh good the DD lives on!!!

It seems like it would make sense to offer a "value" Diamond hull series, or at least give people the option to order the Ride boats on the Diamond hull. Then they'd have 6 boats in the entry market (I say that tongue in cheek) instead of 3, & really do a good job of satisfying everyone's wants & needs. JMO of course. We'll see if it ever happens.

I inquired about a diamond-hulled V-ride last year. I-ride too. No dice... :(

Who'd ever thought of the diamond hull on a VLX? or a power wedge? Not out of the question IMHO and since the removal of the Sportster as the entry price point boat this would seemingly fit right in to the line up w/ minimal disruption to the current production.

I also welcome you back from the dark side. We had a Sunsetter VLX that we sold for a Response Lxi. It was great to be back in a direct drive again.

There are 3 of these (2002 Sunsetters) for sale right now on Boat Trader, but none of them have the Monsoon engine. Looks like they all have the Vortec 310 which is not fuel injected. :(