Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 24 MXZ Wake VS Nautique G23 Wake

warsetter2010

A couple months ago I made the decision to purchase a malibu 24 MXZ. I was comparing it with the G23 and made my decision based on price and appearances. I'd never ridden behind an MXZ I just thought it was a cool looking boat. Ive been riding behind it for the past two weeks, and at first, I was not impressed. I've finally figured out the wakeboarding wake but it took awhile. It came with all the stock ballast you could get along with two 1000lb piggy backs in the rear lockers. Ive been using that up until yesterday. The wake was a decent size, peaky, and wide. I was about to convince myself to come in a link on the rope or trade it in for a G23. Yesterday we loaded the front with an old lsv bow sack and a walkthrough sack and the wake was every bit as big if not bigger than a G23. It wasn't nearly as wide when we put the weight in the front. I hate the fact that you still have to load more weight in the boat, but I have to admit when I saw that wake I was blown away. I have ridden behind a g23 and the wake was massive but the MXZ wake is equally as big. If you are about to purchase a 24 MXZ and have any questions please don't hesitate to ask me. I have some good info.

A couple months ago I made the decision to purchase a malibu 24 MXZ. I was comparing it with the G23 and made my decision based on price and appearances. I'd never ridden behind an MXZ I just thought it was a cool looking boat. Ive been riding behind it for the past two weeks, and at first, I was not impressed. I've finally figured out the wakeboarding wake but it took awhile. It came with all the stock ballast you could get along with two 1000lb piggy backs in the rear lockers. Ive been using that up until yesterday. The wake was a decent size, peaky, and wide. I was about to convince myself to come in a link on the rope or trade it in for a G23. Yesterday we loaded the front with an old lsv bow sack and a walkthrough sack and the wake was every bit as big if not bigger than a G23. It wasn't nearly as wide when we put the weight in the front. I hate the fact that you still have to load more weight in the boat, but I have to admit when I saw that wake I was blown away. I have ridden behind a g23 and the wake was massive but the MXZ wake is equally as big. If you are about to purchase a 24 MXZ and have any questions please don't hesitate to ask me. I have some good info.

So, you filled stock ballast and put 3500 lbs on top of that, and it was as big as a stock G wake? I mean, not to be a smarty pants, but put that 3500lbs in the G, and your wake is dwarfed again.

I like that you based your decision on the things that you did. Lets face it, the 24 MXZ puts out a great wake, and you don't have an ugly boat. Not to mention you saved a bunch of $$. That being said, having to fill 4 extra sacks, and scattering them around the boat is not really a fantastic way to point out that you have a wake as big as the stock G23......

So, you filled stock ballast and put 3500 lbs on top of that, and it was as big as a stock G wake? I mean, not to be a smarty pants, but put that 3500lbs in the G, and your wake is dwarfed again.

I like that you based your decision on the things that you did. Lets face it, the 24 MXZ puts out a great wake, and you don't have an ugly boat. Not to mention you saved a bunch of $$. That being said, having to fill 4 extra sacks, and scattering them around the boat is not really a fantastic way to point out that you have a wake as big as the stock G23......

G comes with almost 3000lbs of ballast, he's going over that by about 1000lbs, which makes up for the weight difference in boats. All in all pretty even weight wise and it sounds like wake wise also

Just saw a G23 at Central Valley Marine in San Jose today. Holy sheets! What a massive boat. I thought my boat was big.

Not to thrilled with the bow looks but it sure had a lot of nice well designed stuff onboard.

photo_zpsd261f791.jpg

pics of both wakes and you holding a current newspaper and the vin number of both boats written in black Sharpie on a sandwich board or it didnt happen

• Like 3

if the mxz 24 had that weight in hard tanks it wouldnt cost that much more and would have wakes like the g and xstar at a much lower priced boat !

if the mxz 24 had that weight in hard tanks it wouldnt cost that much more and would have wakes like the g and xstar at a much lower priced boat !

But, it doesn't. That was the point of my post. When it comes to this subject, this is the common type of statement....."if it had....." Well....... "it doesn't have"

And if you gotta have a wake that big, yes, I think it would be a giant pain to have ballast bags scattered through the boat. And a well equipped 24 MXZ is about $105-$115k, so it is not "much lower priced" at all. It is almost exactly the same price.....

if someone doesnt want ballast bags all over his boat he buys a G or xstar .. ???

or now has the option of a tige Asr.

every malibu needs extra bow sac …seriously !!!

100,000 plus boats to have fat sacs laying around were people could sit !!!

and just because you have 3000lbs in of infloor ballast doesnt mean you have to use it all !!

at least no sacs anywhere in the boat !!! and you monitor your filling !!!

maybe the new axis T22 will challenge the g's and xstars ..

Hi Crew,

I dont want to be rude but, do you really think that loading the back of any boat with more than 2000 lbs will produce a good wakeboarding wake?

Every boat has their own and best ballast configuration. Obviously you need to load the boat evenly its just a phisic fact.

As far as I know the only advantage on the G is the big sub floor ballast. You can have almost the same wake on your MXZ 24 or MXZ 22, just add the bags on the place the bags have to be. I ve owned 5 different malibu and i ve added bow sacs on top of the hard tank in all of them.

Sorry about my english, its not my native language.

Luciano

I wish I had a pic of that MXZ wake. Its massive. I've been riding for 17yrs and I've ridden behind alot of boats. The G23 was an amazing wake however the boat wasn't customized and priced at 133k with a 450 in it. I got a fully loaded 24MXZ with a LSA for 110K customized. I agree with the fact that any wake boat over 100k should look how you want it to and come turn key with a mind blowing wakeboard wake. I just wasn't willing to pay the extra 23k for it. If I would've gotten the 550hp PCM it wouldve been a bigger price difference. Its really hard to compare the two boats because they are so different. The whole point of this thread was to squash the fact that the G has the biggest wake. You could load the G with more weight than factory ballast, but its going to take way too long to get on plane. While you're trying to get on plane in your G23 Ill be halfway done with my set.

I was with you till this post^^^. I think the the entire Malibu lineup throws a great wake not disputing that... just got ensure what you post is accurate. All of these boats throws a wake that well exceeds anything I can do.

450 G23s can be had well equipped around 125. And thats a 2014, 450, with the upgraded tranny and 17 x 17 prop. will straight smoke the 450 MXZ out of the hole equally loaded.. full G23 ballast 0-23 in 8 seconds. thats smokin fast... 550 fast. The 550 G does it in around 7 seconds.

Even on a 2013 450, old tranny, you can prop down to a 2315, and get it to 12 seconds full ballast 0-23. Understand thats right at 10k lbs. total weight.

G23 550s can be had WELL under 130, and there's not much you cant do with that setup. Full OEM ballast + another 3000bs...yanks it right up to 23mph...maybe more

The real value is in the new 2014s with the 450... you are getting 90% or so of the 550hp performance on regular gas using the 17 x 17 prop... you only pay with your top end only being 38mph. The MXZ 550 and G23 550 would be roughly equiv in performance equally weighted.... But the 450 G23 with new tranny will smoke the 450 MXZ peformance wise, equally weighted.

Edited by nyryan2001

one other thing here i forgot to add was that PCM's 450hp is a 6.0L.....and Indmar's 450hp is a 6.2L. not sure how they look compared to each other if the hp/tq curves were on the same graph.

I was with you till this post^^^. I think the the entire Malibu lineup throws a great wake not disputing that... just got ensure what you post is accurate. All of these boats throws a wake that well exceeds anything I can do.

450 G23s can be had well equipped around 125. And thats a 2014, 450, with the upgraded tranny and 17 x 17 prop. will straight smoke the 450 MXZ out of the hole equally loaded.. full G23 ballast 0-23 in 8 seconds. thats smokin fast... 550 fast. The 550 G does it in around 7 seconds.

Even on a 2013 450, old tranny, you can prop down to a 2315, and get it to 12 seconds full ballast 0-23. Understand thats right at 10k lbs. total weight.

G23 550s can be had WELL under 130, and there's not much you cant do with that setup. Full OEM ballast + another 3000bs...yanks it right up to 23mph...maybe more

The real value is in the new 2014s with the 450... you are getting 90% or so of the 550hp performance on regular gas using the 17 x 17 prop... you only pay with your top end only being 38mph. The MXZ 550 and G23 550 would be roughly equiv in performance equally weighted.... But the 450 G23 with new tranny will smoke the 450 MXZ peformance wise, equally weighted.

I gotta agree with this...... My Buddy's G has a 409 in it. (Which I am pretty sure they stopped offering in the G, after the first couple months of production...... nyryan, might know if they still offer it or not.) Nonetheless, he has never had a problem getting on plane. Even with stock +2500lbs.

It is still the stock prop, and can only hit about 40mph, but still no problem getting on plane.

Everybody can understand the fact that sacking out an MXZ24 is going to give you a G size "stock" wake. I don't know what is extraordinary about that. You could do the same thing with an X46, 247 LSV, SAN230, etc...... The glorious thing about the G23, is that it's "turn key" wake is already huge.

They do still offer the 409.... and on the new tranny, a 2014 409 is rumored to equal if not outperform a 2013 450.... they are just hitting dealers now, so not a lot of feedback yet.

• 1 year later...