Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

drain block or not

I went to winterize my boat but not sure if I did it correctly. I just grabbed a five gallon bucket of antifreeze, disconnected the hose from the water intake at the hull, started the engine and let the antifreeze pump through the system. I pumped an entire 5 gallons through and antifreeze was coming out the exhaust. Is this sufficient or should I have drained the block first?

Thanks

drain block. If thermostat wasn't open, most of that antifreeze just went out the exhaust. You could also drain the block, the vdrive (if equipped), and manifolds now and call it good.

• Like 2

It takes 10 minutes to pull your engine dividers, drain block, drain manifolds, disconnect big J hose. Then I just wetvac as much of it up as I can.

Shawn, how do you drain the Vdrive?

Also which antifreeze? If its the pink stuff, you don't want it to have any water dillution at all. It needs to be used straight from the jug. And as mentioned above, if that's all it ran there's no way the t-stat opened to get anything in the block. I would definitely drain everything (block, heater, exhaust manifolds, shower, etc), then fill with antifreeze.

It takes 10 minutes to pull your engine dividers, drain block, drain manifolds, disconnect big J hose. Then I just wetvac as much of it up as I can.

depends on the model. If the inlet/outlet is "low" you just pull a hose off the side. If it is "high" (i.e. there's raw water in there that's lower than the inlet/outlet) there's a drain plug or two to pull. On my 06 vride I only needed to pull the raw water hoses off, on my new boat I need to pull a drain plug.

Edited by shawndoggy

drain block. If thermostat wasn't open, most of that antifreeze just went out the exhaust. You could also drain the block, the vdrive (if equipped), and manifolds now and call it good.

The t stat was exactly what I was worrying about. Thanks for the quick replies. I'm on it!

on the front of the vdrive, probably, down that crack between the vdrive and gas tank (going from memory). It's likely a square topped brass plug and is likely to be painted over black. If you are a gambler you could hook up your shop vac and hope you get it all, but I'd do the plug.

Can anyone chime in on where the plug to drain the Vdrive on my 02 is? The intake hose is up high on mine

There are two I think, one on each side. The plugs have a square head. Mine are corroded in place. They still have what looks like original black paint on them, so I dont think theyve ever been pulled (and the boat has been in CO since 04). Last winter, instead of trying to crack them free, I pulled the hoses from each side, but I was never clear if this got all the water out because the plugs are sligtly lower than the hoses if I remember right. I didnt have any problems this spring, but could have just been lucky. I will try to snap a pic tonight so we can figure out if our 02's have high hoses or low relative to the plugs. Gonna be 27 F tonight...

For many years I did the antifreeze thing. The last two years I did it dry and not going back to antifreeze.

The fun part for me is changing the oil. Put tube thru hull, open end, open beer's, let drain overnite. Refill, drink beer again ! I even blow thru the oil fill spigot to blow out the last drop or two of oil :)

As I'm drinking said beer's, I sit in the passenger seat, turn on the stereo and reminisce abou the season and upcoming boat projects.

Steve B.

Edited by Steve B.
  • Like 2

There are two I think, one on each side. The plugs have a square head. Mine are corroded in place. They still have what looks like original black paint on them, so I dont think theyve ever been pulled (and the boat has been in CO since 04). Last winter, instead of trying to crack them free, I pulled the hoses from each side, but I was never clear if this got all the water out because the plugs are sligtly lower than the hoses if I remember right. I didnt have any problems this spring, but could have just been lucky. I will try to snap a pic tonight so we can figure out if our 02's have high hoses or low relative to the plugs. Gonna be 27 F tonight...

Yeah, I am hoping to get mine in the garage tonight, but I got a lot of crap, bikes & dirt bikes to move & make room.

racer, if it is a Walter VD then Denver is correct it is the 2 square plugs rear and high side. If you can't pull those drain plugs, removing the 6 bolts on the top of the VD dip stick plate and popping off the plate will expose the trans cooler coil and then you can sop or shop vac out the water and crud. The lower 1/2" drain plugs on my '06 Walter were the drain for the VD fluid which I wouldn't recommend messing with. After having to replace the VD sump gasket, I found that it is just as easy/quick/cleaner to suck out the VD fluid from the mushroom shaped fill/vent cap and line that goes directly to the VD sump. It will get 99% of everything out of a Walter. Bill

Edited by wdr

:plus1: On draining the block only. Been doing it for 3 years now without a problem. I do use antifreeze in the ballast tanks and blow some through the heater core in case I can't get all the water out by compressed air.

:plus1: On draining the block only. Been doing it for 3 years now without a problem. I do use antifreeze in the ballast tanks and blow some through the heater core in case I can't get all the water out by compressed air.

In case you didn't know, compressed air can ruin the heater if too high pressure.

Maybe 10 minutes the first time you ever do it. I did it on the boat ramp the other day in about 90 seconds. I don't remove the engine dividers but unlock the one on the passenger side & tilt it over a bit. I reach down & one handed unscrew the exhaust hose connections. I use a pair of channel locks to remove the knock sensor. Then I unscrew the shower hoses (under the rear middle seat on mine), and remove the caps on the heater hoses. Then I bump start the engine & remove both the hull drain plugs. Done & gone.

Oh, and when I get home I plug it in...... one extension cord connected to the battery charge & bilge heater.

Takes a minute or two to button it all up to take the boat out for a ride the next time.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky