Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slack in Response Steering Rectified

Quite some time ago I asked for suggestions re: slack in the steering of my Response. As the problem wasn't too bad I let it go for sometime, however the other day in a rare fit of energy I decided to investigate before the season really got underway here in Aus. The problem was in the helm somewhere as I could turn the steering wheel slightly without the pinion end of the helm moving. Not one to think things through properly and look for the easiest solution first, I proceeded to remove the helm completely from the boat, which wasn't as bad a job as I thought. On removal I could see the problem, two bolts that clamp the shaft together where the two parts of the helm meet had come slightly loose allowing a little movement between the male and female parts. The bolts are Allen headed and tightened up easily.

One thing I did find however was that I could gain access to these bolts by merely removing the steering wheel and the rubber cowl that covers the helm behind the wheel, a two minute job!!!

One question, why did Malibu make the three bolts that attach the helm to the dash about 3cms longer than they need be? They take forever to undo and do up again due to the nylex nuts. Next time I'll think about what I'm doing a bit longer before I do it!!

• Like 2

Quite some time ago I asked for suggestions re: slack in the steering of my Response. As the problem wasn't too bad I let it go for sometime, however the other day in a rare fit of energy I decided to investigate before the season really got underway here in Aus. The problem was in the helm somewhere as I could turn the steering wheel slightly without the pinion end of the helm moving. Not one to think things through properly and look for the easiest solution first, I proceeded to remove the helm completely from the boat, which wasn't as bad a job as I thought. On removal I could see the problem, two bolts that clamp the shaft together where the two parts of the helm meet had come slightly loose allowing a little movement between the male and female parts. The bolts are Allen headed and tightened up easily.

One thing I did find however was that I could gain access to these bolts by merely removing the steering wheel and the rubber cowl that covers the helm behind the wheel, a two minute job!!!

One question, why did Malibu make the three bolts that attach the helm to the dash about 3cms longer than they need be? They take forever to undo and do up again due to the nylex nuts. Next time I'll think about what I'm doing a bit longer before I do it!!

Not wanting to be overly obnoxious about the obvious, normally this is considered a good thing.

In regards ot your questions on the length of the bolts, probably it comes down to what was most handy in the parts bin at the time.

Nice work, so you've water tested it? Refresh my memory, what were your symptoms? I've got a "darting" problem at higher speeds and wonder if I shouldn't look here since I've checked all the usual suspects.

Nice work, so you've water tested it? Refresh my memory, what were your symptoms? I've got a "darting" problem at higher speeds and wonder if I shouldn't look here since I've checked all the usual suspects.

The problem wasn't severe, at speed you wouldn't know it existed. The main issue is that we ski in what can be at times a fairly fast flowing river, when manouvering the boat to keep it in line with a skier at take off, the bit of slack in the steering did create a little extra work on the wheel, as did trying to keep the boat straight when driving back onto the trailer. Darting at high speed was not a problem. Have you checked all your underwater gear is in good condition, ie fins, skeg, rudder (I suppose you have already, sorry!!). Yet to water test, however I think it should be fine.

Not wanting to be overly obnoxious about the obvious, normally this is considered a good thing.

No Comment

In regards ot your questions on the length of the bolts, probably it comes down to what was most handy in the parts bin at the time.