Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

newb V-drive sv23 vs sv23D

williemon

New here but have been boating since mid 90's. I use an old 17' I/O for everything from family outings, wakeboarding and slalom. Im looking for a bigger boat better suited for crowds, kids and sports. This is all recreational though so a DD boat is not needed for my needs.

I have seen V-drives come about so Id like to get one from the used market since budget wont allow new. I like the 01 and 02 sunsetter\sunscape with sv23 diamond hull since I like to slalom at long line and 15 off just for the fun of it. Kids ski but will be going into boarding as well and the thought of barefooting and surfing is pretty interesting to me. I have friends that like to wakeboard as well. I figure it would be the best of both worlds. The one problem though is they are not in my price range. The older sunsetter vlx like say 96 or 97 or so are in my range.

Im torn between not getting one for the next 5 years or so and then getting the 01 or 02, or looking at the 96 to 98 or so years and getting one now to replace my I/O. For my level of slalom skiing (early intermediate) would I be better off waiting for 5 years or would the sv23 hull in a V-drive be a great improvement over the I/O? I know the diamond would be better, but perhaps later on I could trade up once more cash is saved and in the meantime enjoy a V-drive now.

Thoughts?

Are you dead set in a V-drive as an early 2000's sunsetter lx/lxi is going to feel a lot bigger than your 17 ft I/O and for your current budget better? I only ask because I understand keeping in budget, but wanting a more comfortable boat that the whole family can progress behind and the Sunsetters will allow that. My parents went from a similar sized I/O to a 21' DD and it felt huge to us, storage included. Plus many of them shouldn't depreciate a whole lot move over the next couple of years, then you can upgrade to the V-drive after saving up some more. I grew up behind a direct drive with the wedge and no factory ballast and could do the same few flips behind it I can my V-drive, just less air time. Ignore this though if a V-drive is a must..

Thanks for the thoughts, but yes, im dead set on a V-drive. One big issue is with a motor in the middle like a DD has, that becomes a protrusion in the floor space that gets in the way of entertaining. It then becomes a big deal since this will be for family fun and that will include bringing guests on board with their kids. The other issue with a DD is that the tow rope when skiing or at other times would be connected on the pylon in the middle of the boat thus wiping out the rear seating area. With 4 adults and 4 kids on board, that makes it an issue. If V-drives did not exist, Id be looking at another I/O since our current 17 is just way to small now. Its an 88 model that Ive had since 1999. Its in great shape now since I keep it under a shed when not in use and do all my own service and repairs.

So, yes, has to be a v-drive with a walkthru open bow. I really like the malibu since I think they are well made. I also read where they handle chop a little better than other brands which is good.

Ive looked into the moomba v-drives as well, just not sure on their fit and finish. I saw some online that the seats looked and were shaped nice while others looked like they were missing shape and depth. The nautiques are nice as well, just dont know if they are setup for my lifestyle. I did see a sport nautique V drive and the bow was open but it was a crawl over. Also, the ski pylon was in the middle of the floorspace. That wont fit my lifestyle so I wrote it off my list.

With the SV23 hull, is there anyone that has added say an adjustable trim tab like the wake plate used on the moomba?

Any other thoughts on the sv23 non diamond vs the diamond?

Sounds like your mind is made up on a V-drive, but to counter your argument on the pylon location on a DD: if you have a bunch of folks in the boat and want to ski, you simply put the rope on the rear hook/grab rail so no one loses their head. With the open bow you can put a medium amount of people in a DD and the ski wake is so worth it.

Now that's a thought. That would open up more choices. I have never been in a DD before, but have been in a V drive before and really liked the space. I will look at the DD choices closer.

Now in case I still want to go V drive, any other thoughts on the sv23 vs the diamond for my type of skiing?

From my travels on this forum I've heard a lot of people say there really isn't an appreciable difference in the 2 hulls until you reach ~32 mph. I'd say go for the older VLX and get on the water now!! As always before you buy, find them and demo as many as you can.

SV23 wake hull in a V-drive, as long as you run some bow weight, will likely meet your needs well enough. It won't be as good as the diamond hull, but both will be better than your I/O.

Don't forget that you are giving up some other things when going to the early SV23 V-drive hulls - '96-00 has the old style dash with the knobs instead of switches. Depending on the year, the seating options can be kind of crappy (such as no seating on the port side). One piece power rear hatches no one seems to like. Just a few things to think about.

Perhaps state what your actual budget is and we might be able to better advise you.

This is way off what you were originally asking about, but if you have never driven an Inboard, prepare yourself for the fact that they only back up to starboard. Period.

This is way off what you were originally asking about, but if you have never driven an Inboard, prepare yourself for the fact that they only back up to starboard. Period.

That's not totally true. With some space and a bit of throttle, it will eventually turn either direction depending on your steering wheel position. But not well.

Thanks for the thoughts. The budget is 15k max. Even that hurts but thats all I can ever dish out. At any rate, yea, it is what it is.

I am also fully open to getting one that needs repairs as I am happy with wrenches, saws, needle and thread, whatever in my hands. Even one with a trashed engine, if the price is right, would find a nice home in my barn. Also not scared to redo an entire interior and add seats. That would be fun once the dollar saved vs dollar spent ratio worked out to my favor. I think golden would be if I could score a V drive with diamond hull for less than 10 that needed work, add up to a few thousand in parts and add my time and that would be great.

Any other thoughts?

I was fearing that. Still gonna look. Good to know that for my use I can still look into the non diamond hull, but I will look for diamonds in the rough as well. Anyone know what the story would be on these boats? Why so cheap?

http://boats.oodle.com/2010m-malibu-multiple/for-sale/model_sunscape/model_wakesetter/model_wakesetter_vlx/model_wakesetter_vtx/price_12000-/?s=price&inbs=1

Be patient and keep an open mind and you will find a boat. Be willing to travel several hours too, closest boat I have bought was about 6 hours away and the guy that boat it from me meet me in the middle at the 5hr mark. Like ryangb said those are scams and lots of them out there, too good of a deal be wary. Occasionally I see towerless Sunsetter VLX's or Nautique super sport's in your range but they go quick. Gotta check craigslist (searchtempest.com), onlyinboards, and ebay at least daily and try to contact by phone.

One other option someone I know does is talk to their local dealer and ask if they know if anyone with an older boat that needs some work or the dealership doesn't want to take as a trade. He has found a few really good deals doing this with boats that need a little tlc; upholstery, cleaning, tune, buff, and then turn out real nice.

Hope you find something that fits you and your families wants. If nobody else has said it, welcome to TMC, lots of friendly people around here with excellent advice.

Work with your local dealer, boat show season is a good time to contact them again. Let them know you are looking. Perhaps it will help them sell a new boat. Late winter the prices should be rock bottom as well.

Be patient, get what you want and can afford.