Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Whack'ed Hour Meter

At the end of the season last year my boat had 710 hours on it. I know over the winterization period this was true too, because I changed the oil and I wrote the hours on the oil filter.

I took the boat out for a quick spin over the weekend and noticed it's now reading 1381 hours. Well, that's obviously erroneous.

Two questions:

1. How could this happen? I thought the hour meter couldn't increment unless you were idling above 900 rpm or so.

2. How can I get it fixed.

Thanks

John,

You're screwed... there goes your boat value! :Doh:

On the other hand, you're boat looks pretty damn good for 1300hrs! Yes.gif

I think that the hr meter runs whenever the ignition is on - maybe you left the key on for a month? I don't know how you change it (sorry for the no-help post - should have expected that from me.. might want to check with NorCaliBu, VinRLX, or WhiteVLX.. I think they know it all Tease2.gif )

Sounds like the key was left on. Your dealer may know. If not the manufacturer. I bet it can be reset, if you find the person that knows how. Tough to explain that to a buyer and expect them to believe you.

Not sure about that, 88. I think Peter (SmoothWaterMan) has stated before that there is no way to program the hour meter. Specifically, he indicated that when he replaces the gauge, he just puts a label on the back and hand writes what the old hours were. To know how many hours are on the engine, you have to add what is showing on the gauge with what was recorded on the label.

Of course, one solution would be to buy a new gauge, put power to it for 710 hours, then install it. Whistling.gifLazy.gifWhistling.gifLazy.gifWhistling.gifLazy.gif ...

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier
might want to check with NorCaliBu, VinRLX, or WhiteVLX.. I think they know it all  Tease2.gif )

Pre-03, IIRC, the hourmeter would run if the key was on. 03 and after hours accumulate if revs are 300 or more.

How'd I do, Troy?

My '02 Sunsetter (325 Monsoon) will not spin the hour meter with just the ignition in the "on" position. Nor will it spin the hourmeter at idle. I don't know what it takes to make it move, but 650 RPM will definitely not do it. This is based on experience in the driveway flushing the engine out, and careful attention being paid to the meter because I was curious.

Mine did the same thing a couple years ago. Malibu told me that it was probably a voltage spike when the battery was reconnected.

This was on the computron system, and I was told it could be reset if my dealer had the right tool.

Mike

At the end of the season last year my boat had 710 hours on it. I know over the winterization period this was true too, because I changed the oil and I wrote the hours on the oil filter.

I took the boat out for a quick spin over the weekend and noticed it's now reading 1381 hours.  Well, that's obviously erroneous.

Two questions:

1.  How could this happen?  I thought the hour meter couldn't increment unless you were idling above 900 rpm or so.

2.  How can I get it fixed.

Thanks

might want to check with NorCaliBu, VinRLX, or WhiteVLX.. I think they know it all  Tease2.gif )

Pre-03, IIRC, the hourmeter would run if the key was on. 03 and after hours accumulate if revs are 300 or more.

How'd I do, Troy?

Nice Jack - and a strong showing for your 'value add' .. especially relative to Michael and Mr White Biggrin.gif

My computron reads 1318, not 1381... bummer though. Does yours still count hours ontop of what it was spiked at? I dont know how to reset mine and I have just learned to live with it.

The computron has a set of switches on the control module. One of them resets the hr meter ... sold my '93' with all the documentation I had, so I cannot be more specific. However, you can try switching them 1 at a time and turning the key on/off. When you get the right switch, it will reset the hr meter to zero. To change to any other # does require some special equipment.

/Steve

when you say switches on the control module, do you mean inside the actual little black box under the dash? I would love to try some things out. Please let me know! Thanks!

Yes, inside. There is a switch pack with, i believe, eight switches on it. Not sure what they all do and I don't have any documentation anymore. I also seem to remember that there is a little cover that can be removed to expose them. It's been a while.

I wonder where we could get the documentation now a days? Somebody must have it and as old as this system is, I wouldn't think there wouldn't be a problem releasing some of it. Especially since you can't get replacements or repairs.

The company that manufactured them was in Little Rock ... spoke with them on a couple of occasions. Not sure if they are still around and I don't have my notes with phone # / name.

Good luck,

Steve

so it does or it doesn't count hours if the engine is not at 300 or 900 rpm?

My '02 Sunsetter (325 Monsoon) will not spin the hour meter with just the ignition in the "on" position.  Nor will it spin the hourmeter at idle.  I don't know what it takes to make it move, but 650 RPM will definitely not do it.  This is based on experience in the driveway flushing the engine out, and careful attention being paid to the meter because I was curious.

Interesting. My 03 Malibu manual says that hours will only accumulate with the tach at 300 or above. Basically, if the engine is running hours add up. With just the key on they will not. 99% sure mine registers hours while idling. Will have to double check next time I start 'er up.

I thought that I replied to this thread, but now I dont see it.

Anyway - the hour meter on my 97 Echelon (non-computron) would run if the key was left on (engine off). It would also run if the key was turned counter-clockwise from the off position. You may ask, "how does he know these things." Trust me, I know.

Come to think of it, the key was turned to the Left position. I think my boy did it when he was fooling around with the new stereo.

My hour meter is the really old kind with the physical rollers on it (1997 vintage). Not sure what the brand is. Maybe I'll take it apart and see what I can find on it.

I talked to Tim at Malibu tech support.

He was as helpful as he could be. He didn't know of any way to roll it back, and did confirm that if the key is "on" either in the Accessory position or not, the hours will continue to roll.

He suggested that I let it run until if flipped over to the correct number of hours. Given it goes up to 9999 hours, I calculated that would be about 375 days. That's not a very good option for me. Worse would be if it stopped at 9999 and didn't roll over... kind of a risk I don't want to take.

He also gave me the phone number of ENM Co. that makes the "Gauge Hour Meter - Square" part. They are in Chicago at (773) 775-8400. I'm going to give them a call and see what they say. Maybe I can reverse the polarity and make it run in reverse...?

If there's no way to roll it back, I could purchase a new part and let it run for about a month to get the hours back to the right value. I have another electronic gauge that displays the value from the ECM. I have not looked at it, but it's probably accurate.

the manufacturer of the computron unit:

Uniforce Technologies

1805 E. 5th St.

North Little Rock, AR 72114

Don't know if they are still around or can help. Found the address while I was looking for something else. I spoke with a Mr. Kirk when I dealt with them.

Looking for them online, I no longer find the address above but do come up with 2 locations:

Uniforce Technologies Inc

6837 Highway 126 North, Midway, AR 72651

(870) 481-6301

Uniforce Technologies Inc

5 East Hemlock, North Little Rock, AR 72114

(501) 945-3283

Good luck,

/Steve

He was as helpful as he could be.  He didn't know of any way to roll it back, and did confirm that if the key is "on" either in the Accessory position or not, the hours will continue to roll. 

On a 97 boat.

Just get a new one, write the know hours on the back, log them in your records and use the new hourmeter.

I looked at the black box, didn't look like it would be possible to take apart and change back.

I wonder if you bumped up the voltage applied, you could make it turn faster? Maybe get a power supply that puts out > 12v and connect it (outside of the boat) and just let'r roll.