Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

parks closing

windy1

Where did you find? That's awesome. Which river I mean.

Verdigris river at Catoosa. Just us, a couple of fisherman and the TU rowing team. Don't tell anyone.

Verdigris river at Catoosa. Just us, a couple of fisherman and the TU rowing team. Don't tell anyone.

Lips are sealed, I'm on a slip at Crosstimbers at skiatook, so I luckily have access. Taking a Vacation day tomorrow. How often do you get almost 90 in October. . . . I'm taking advantage.

This is such a bizarre situation looking from the outside in. It's like the're trying to cripple the country like a bunch of Kindergarten kids having an tantrum.

Congress is like a Xwife and Xhusband trying to communicate after disrespecting each other for years and going through the divorce process

• Like 3

Lips are sealed, I'm on a slip at Crosstimbers at skiatook, so I luckily have access. Taking a Vacation day tomorrow. How often do you get almost 90 in October. . . . I'm taking advantage.

enjoy, my son rides with Stan quite a bit on Skiatook (Green Moomba)

enjoy, my son rides with Stan quite a bit on Skiatook (Green Moomba)

Great Lake, and Moombas are really popular out there. Probably because they sell them their. Holler next time you bring your Bu up.

This is such a bizarre situation looking from the outside in. It's like the're trying to cripple the country like a bunch of Kindergarten kids having an tantrum.

Except it isn't really crippling the country. This is the 3rd day of shut down and I honestly can't tell the difference, other than topics on the news. Police are still out and about, fire men are driving around the trucks. Hospitals are running.

Edited by Nitrousbird

Except it isn't really crippling the country. This is the 3rd day of shut down and I honestly can't tell the difference, other than topics on the news. Police are still out and about, fire men are driving around the trucks. Hospitals are running.

I'd say the reporters are exaggerating things a little. We have reports that spies are not working because they are not under a contract, officials sent home etc. Got to love the media and their accurate reporting

I'd say the reporters are exaggerating things a little. We have reports that spies are not working because they are not under a contract, officials sent home etc. Got to love the media and their accurate reporting

That's their job...to create hysteria, doom and gloom, and the sky is falling. If I were Congress I'd be more worried that we the people decide they are "non essential"!! All of them.

Edited by happypappy

The impact on park visitors, park employees and the communities around the park is staggering ----

"Because of the shutdown of the federal government caused by the lapse in appropriations, the National Park Service (NPS) has closed all 401 national parks, including Great Smoky Mountains National Park. All visitor facilities including visitor centers, picnic areas, campgrounds, trails, and roads – except for Newfound Gap Road, (Hwy 441) including the Spur and the Gatlinburg Bypass – are closed. The park will remain closed until the government reopens.

Park visitors in all overnight campgrounds and lodges will be given until 6 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 3 to make travel arrangements and leave the park. In addition, all park programs, Parks as Classrooms education programs, and special events have been canceled including permitted weddings and special services in park facilities.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park hosts over 35,000 visitors on average each day in October; nationally, more than 715,000 visitors a day frequent the National Park System. Nationwide the NPS stands to lose approximately $450,000 per day in lost revenue from fees collected at entry stations and fees paid for in-park activities such as cave tours, boat rides and camping. Gateway communities across the country see about $76 million per day in total sales from visitor spending that is lost during a government shutdown.

In Great Smoky Mountains National Park, 279 employees are on furlough because of the shutdown along with 60 concessions employees and 45 Great Smoky Mountains Association employees who are similarly affected. 47 employees remain on duty, providing security and emergency services.

Nationwide the shutdown has also furloughed more than 20,000 National Park Service employees; approximately 3,000 employees remain on duty to ensure essential health, safety, and security functions at parks and facilities. About 12,000 park concessions employees are also affected.

Because it will not be maintained, the National Park Service website will be down for the duration of the shutdown. NPS.gov has more than 750,000 pages and 91 million unique visitors each year.

For updates on the shutdown, please visit www.doi.gov/shutdown."

Edited by Soon2BV

The federal government is shut down, not the state, county, city governments...

ok 3 days and Iran has not attacked us and we have not had to nuke them, there have been no hurricanes...so I guess global warming is "non essential", and the FAA reports all planes are playing nice in the giant airspace....and our mail is continuing to be delivered.

The impact on park visitors, park employees and the communities around the park is staggering ----

The real question - if they are losing $450,000 in revenue, how much were they spending at that same time? If they are making a profit, that would be another gov't screw up as you don't shut down things that are paying for themselves without gov't funding. My guess is that article has some significant BS in it.

Exactly. The proof is the country is just fine without all of these non-essential services from the federal gov't.

I bet we haven't stopped the welfare checks and food stamps. Not that I think good stamps are completely wrong, but when 3rd generations have used nothing but stamps and people driving range rovers have them, something is messed up.

• Like 2

I bet we haven't stopped the welfare checks and food stamps. Not that I think good stamps are completely wrong, but when 3rd generations have used nothing but stamps and people driving range rovers have them, something is messed up.

How could my immigrant father and mother work for 40 years. My mom does not even speak English that well. She retired after 40 years got bored and got another job. They also put through 3 1st generation Americans through college. How does that happen. This stuff boils my blood.

Food stamps, wic, welfare should all be reserved for our soldiers....that's it and for as long as they need it.....

Edited by Afun
  • Like 2

The real question - if they are losing $450,000 in revenue, how much were they spending at that same time? If they are making a profit, that would be another gov't screw up as you don't shut down things that are paying for themselves without gov't funding. My guess is that article has some significant BS in it.

Exactly. The proof is the country is just fine without all of these non-essential services from the federal gov't.

Well, the whole reason for this thread is that the lakes in national parks seem to be essential to some...If the guards stop going to the federal prisons, the border patrol, army, marines, navy, air force, CIA, FBI, coast guard, NOAA, NASA, NIH just to name a few off the top of my head all shut down I think the only people that would consider the country just fine are the preppers because their little fantasies would finally come true.

Edited by Asmodeus2112

Resisting hot topic :frantic: .

We also shouldn't go there because who knows how many of them are members of TMC?

"Because of the shutdown of the federal government caused by the lapse in appropriations, the National Park Service (NPS) has closed all 401 national parks, including Great Smoky Mountains National Park. All visitor facilities including visitor centers, picnic areas, campgrounds, trails, and roads – except for Newfound Gap Road, (Hwy 441) including the Spur and the Gatlinburg Bypass – are closed. The park will remain closed until the government reopens.

Park visitors in all overnight campgrounds and lodges will be given until 6 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 3 to make travel arrangements and leave the park. In addition, all park programs, Parks as Classrooms education programs, and special events have been canceled including permitted weddings and special services in park facilities.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park hosts over 35,000 visitors on average each day in October; nationally, more than 715,000 visitors a day frequent the National Park System. Nationwide the NPS stands to lose approximately $450,000 per day in lost revenue from fees collected at entry stations and fees paid for in-park activities such as cave tours, boat rides and camping. Gateway communities across the country see about $76 million per day in total sales from visitor spending that is lost during a government shutdown.

In Great Smoky Mountains National Park, 279 employees are on furlough because of the shutdown along with 60 concessions employees and 45 Great Smoky Mountains Association employees who are similarly affected. 47 employees remain on duty, providing security and emergency services.

Nationwide the shutdown has also furloughed more than 20,000 National Park Service employees; approximately 3,000 employees remain on duty to ensure essential health, safety, and security functions at parks and facilities. About 12,000 park concessions employees are also affected.

Because it will not be maintained, the National Park Service website will be down for the duration of the shutdown. NPS.gov has more than 750,000 pages and 91 million unique visitors each year.

For updates on the shutdown, please visit www.doi.gov/shutdown."

We're going to have lots of poop on the roads because all the bathrooms are closed.