Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tige Apex

jb 156

Not at all, Tige's prices have come up recently. The Z3 is inline with the new LSV price wise. Odds are the new tige is about 10k less than the G23. Might as well buy the real thing IMO. I just don't know why tige doesn't come up with an original boat vs copying the G23........ It's about as close as you can get with out actually putting the nautique logo on it.

That's what I'm saying, the value in buying the Tige if the pricepoint is the same (within 10K) of the G3. Who wouldn't just buy the G3, 10k is nothing when you are talking over 100k for a boat. I think they will be sorely dissapointed in their sales if they don't try to price it at least 20k less, I mean at least!

Fact is the Tige brand does not have the value (I.e. worth) of the brands like Malibu and CC. Pretty stupid for them to try and compete there right now.

Edited by Bobby Light

In my state nautique doesn't currently have a dealer, but there are quite a few G23s around. Tige sells the most in my area followed by malibu and axis. Master craft here has a terrible dealer. Tige will probably sell more here than other places, but I just can't see them competing on the national market when their pricing themselves into market dominated by a brand that's know for quality. I understand every brand would like to have a G23 in their lineup, but man tige always is either comping out with bad PR, like the whole no ballast thing, bad inovations like their surf scoop vx thing, or copying someone else.

Tige makes a nice boat, but I don't think the compete when lined up against a nautique. My buddy has an RZ2 and it's nice, but doesn't have the same feel of some of the other brands IMO

That all being said I really like their Z3, I think they were headed down a road of making a great boat of their own there.

Edited by CJAY

Although this new Tige does drip in G styling, keep in mind that the bathtub tub design of the G was tige's deign style first. The ASR looks closer to the rest of the Tige lineup than the G does the Nautique lineup.

OK that is the first thing i thought of was Bath Tub with Frog legs Tower

Narrow swim platforms are being driven by the surf community. It gets it out of the wake for a clean smooth face. Tige is paying attention to the sport.

Edited by MLA

Narrow swim platforms are being driven by the surf community. It gets it out of the wake for a clean smooth face. Tige is paying attention to the sport.

and it's not THAT narrow really, is it? The boat has a 102" beam after all.

I would really have to see one in person, At first glance Big Tubby boat that looks to big for the trailer, And I'm not just saying this because I have a BU, The MXZ still has not grown on me, My 3 fav's are still BU, G23 and Supra, And honestly just hate that Tige Tower,

Edited by Wakesetter67

Looking forward to seeing the surfwake behind it.

Even with Tige being right out here in west Texas, you don't see very many of them on the lakes here. Malibu is hands down the most common boat on the water around here. I guess everyone just prefers a Bu!

• Like 1

and it's not THAT narrow really, is it? The boat has a 102" beam after all.

No and have you seen one with the giant batman cape bolted to the bottom of it?

• Like 3

One of the problems with Tige is there dealer network is horrible. Two dealerships in the entire state of California? Imagine towing your boat 3 hours to have warranty or service done... a dealbreaker for a lot of folks. Especially with Malibu, cc and mc dealers scattered all over the place.

I agree with others, price point will be key for them. I have a feeling they are deep into debt with this boat because of r&d and need some $130k sales to make up for it. For that price as others mentioned who would choose a Tige over a Nautique? That would be foolish... maybe we will all be surprised at the price. I know in 2011 I was quoted $86k for a loaded RZ2. I cant imagine it being less than $95k today... which would push this new Tige even closer to a G23 price point.

I also do not care for the Alpha Z tower, was hoping they were going to update it with this new boat.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 1

This. this is the best post in the thread...

I know. I didn't get the frog legged comment until I saw that pic.

I would have to agree the tower doesn't do it for me.

Its funny, my opinion always wanders on Tige lineup. One day I am just OK with the design, another I think its down right ugly. All that said, and I do want to surf behind one to see what the fuss is about. I would like to surf behind a supreme as well.

• Like 1

I like it! But I appreciate all boats. Would it be my first choice? Probably not. I'm begining to like the different looks some of these boats are starting to put out. And I'm super conservative (no flat bills for me)! I really like the look of the weave skins. Look super strong too.

Edited by teamerickson

Everybody is saying it's a G ripoff. I think that's silly. Has anyone considered that that's kinda what the hull needs to look like in order to plow water with 10K lbs of weight? What does a new xstar actually look like if you saw off two feet of pickle fork and add some freeboard?

I think it actually is fair to say that a G23 looks a lot more like tige's pre-apex lineup than the apex looks like a G. Tige really HAS been doing "that look" for a lot longer.

The similar tower doesn't help distinguish the two boats, and I'm not a fan of either boat's tower (why oh why does the tige have one pair of speakers partially blocking the other pair?), but neither looks out of step with what everyone else is doing right now (not like a sanger with the tower on the back or something). I'd actually like to see what either of these boats would look like with some variant of a t3 style tower.

The walk-thru definitely doesn't look like as much of a water funnel as the G23's, and that transom storage idea is pretty sweet (though I suspect that it comes at the expense of impeller access).

I do think they made some missteps on the reveal. First off, I don't think it's such a good idea to say that they just actually finished this boat and that it's the only one. So all they've actually tested is the test mule in the vids? Yikes! I don't want to be the first guinea pig to buy one then. Also, while they may really have the hull saved in CAD, it was pretty clear in the reveal vid that fit and finish were not at a production level quite yet (the mismatching pieces on the bow cushions for one). This would've been great to show dealers as a "concept boat," in private. Revealing on the web for all to see (and having us watch their dealer reps get their munch on at the buffet), bad call. Nautique's G reveal was much more professional (if a bit self indulgent, being a the private airport and all).

Edited by shawndoggy

Another pot bellied pig. :cry: There are a few things I really like about this boat. G3 in the crosshairs? Definetly. The fact I cant seem to wrap my head around is that all these manufactures are shooting for the stars price wise. I am very inetrested in where this boat falls price wise. Typically competition brings the prices down, but that has not been the case in the wakeboat industry. I found TIGE was at the top of the pricing scale last year in my search. Above Malibu even.

It just seems to me as the industry as a whole thinks that 100k plus is just, well.....disposable. Get a 100k boat this year, next year its outdated and you can just take the 30k hit and get another 110k boat this year. The whole tech sector mentallity. I just dont see how it works for most. We are not talking a 300 dollar phone here. The inboard market is only so big. When they sink the average guy in a 100k plus boat this year, how is the average guy/family supposed to recover the loss and be that "repeat" customer? I feel like its gonna catch up to them at some point.....who knows when.

Maybe I just have to work too hard for my money, or learned the value of a dollar early on. I cant see dropping THAT much cash only to disregard it a year or two and jump onto the next 100K $ craze.

Seemed to me if someone were to make a boat like this more "family affordable" they would have a knock out.

• Like 3

Seemed to me if someone were to make a boat like this more "family affordable" they would have a knock out.

I think part of the problem is that this type of hull design requires either a big or an enormous motor depending on altitude. This type of hull will be the nail in the 5.7L SBC's coffin that Nitrousbird has been waiting for. Seems like many G owners are opting for the 550, even at fairly low altitudes, because the 450 won't push it (although also pretty sure PCM doesn't offer an LS3 variant, so their "450" is a tweaked version of the 6.0).

In any case, though, once you start requiring a $10-$20k engine upgrade, what's another $5-10K in electronics and clamping board racks and cushions that hold themselves open?

Everybody is saying it's a G ripoff. I think that's silly. Has anyone considered that that's kinda what the hull needs to look like in order to plow water with 10K lbs of weight? What does a new xstar actually look like if you saw off two feet of pickle fork and add some freeboard?

IMO, It wouldn't look anything like a G or the Apex..... Nothing like them, at all. And XStars are running around at 10k lbs. Why would you be adding freeboard to an XStar? It doesn't have any problem with the amount of freeboard it has. Which makes it a perfect example of why the APEX didn't need to look identical to a G23. You don't need that much freeboard at all.

With that said, all of that extra freeboard helps increase the size of the storage by quite a bit. Which is a very good thing. Too bad they look so ugly. The XStar may not have the huge rear storage, and gigantic interior, but it sure does look a lot better than the G, or this Apex..... And IMO, most people don't need that much storage. I have never needed more storage, or interior room, than what I had in my VLX, X25, LSV, or XStar. So, if you ask me, the barge look is ugly and pointless.

Another pot bellied pig. :cry: There are a few things I really like about this boat. G3 in the crosshairs? Definetly. The fact I cant seem to wrap my head around is that all these manufactures are shooting for the stars price wise. I am very inetrested in where this boat falls price wise. Typically competition brings the prices down, but that has not been the case in the wakeboat industry. I found TIGE was at the top of the pricing scale last year in my search. Above Malibu even.

It just seems to me as the industry as a whole thinks that 100k plus is just, well.....disposable. Get a 100k boat this year, next year its outdated and you can just take the 30k hit and get another 110k boat this year. The whole tech sector mentallity. I just dont see how it works for most. We are not talking a 300 dollar phone here. The inboard market is only so big. When they sink the average guy in a 100k plus boat this year, how is the average guy/family supposed to recover the loss and be that "repeat" customer? I feel like its gonna catch up to them at some point.....who knows when.

Maybe I just have to work too hard for my money, or learned the value of a dollar early on. I cant see dropping THAT much cash only to disregard it a year or two and jump onto the next 100K $ craze.

1%?

• Like 2

I think part of the problem is that this type of hull design requires either a big or an enormous motor depending on altitude. This type of hull will be the nail in the 5.7L SBC's coffin that Nitrousbird has been waiting for. Seems like many G owners are opting for the 550, even at fairly low altitudes, because the 450 won't push it (although also pretty sure PCM doesn't offer an LS3 variant, so their "450" is a tweaked version of the 6.0).

In any case, though, once you start requiring a $10-$20k engine upgrade, what's another $5-10K in electronics and clamping board racks and cushions that hold themselves open?

I agree with you, here...... But to be fair, my buddies G23 has the 409 and it works perfectly fine. It only has a top end of about 38-40mph, but he never has a problem with pulling out of the hole. I am sure he probably burns a little bit more fuel with it propped down like that.

I get it, it just doesn't seem sustainable.

The marine engine market is just plain insane also for what they wanna charge for those engines. You can buy a ready to rock, 450 HP LS3 with Electronics , cats, everything for 8g RETAIL. What does that tell you about the "upcharge" for an LS3? There aint nothn so revolutionary and fancy about what the marine upfitters are doing with those engines.

How about I will come down and pick up the base motor and throw it oin the back of my truck also when I pick up the boat? It's all a racket to me.