Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tige Apex

jb 156

The theme of the release is "getting back to their roots". I really hope that they are not going to revert back to telling everyone that you dont have to put weight in a boat to make a good wake and that it can be done with the TAPS...lol

• Like 2

I am looking forward to seeing it! I for one like when these companies push each other to creating better products. I owned a TIGE before my Malibu and wouldn't hesitate to own another one if I liked the dealer... However in AZ, the Malibu dealership is the best dealership in town, IMO.

Anyways, looks like they will be unveiling it tonight at 8pm from Reno.

Trevor Miller (PNW pro wake surfer sponsored by Tige and Day1) is also attempting to set a Guinness Record, and is surfing behind a Tige (I'm guessing the new boat?) for 24 hours straight.

He started surfing last night at 8:00 and will go all the way through the unveling. Pretty cool if you ask me!

Edited by rennis

The theme of the release is "getting back to their roots". I really hope that they are not going to revert back to telling everyone that you dont have to put weight in a boat to make a good wake and that it can be done with the TAPS...lol

Well, it was a lot heavier then the Malibus.

I don't think Tige should be wanting to "get back to" anything. They need to look forward and continue reinventing the brand, looking back will only take them in the downward direction. They can't afford to loose the momentum they've gained in the last couple years.

Trevor is riding behind a couple Z3's.

Edited by Bobby Light
  • Like 3

I figured that "getting back to our roots" is code for "hey, you can actually wakeboard behind one of these!" Like centurion, tige seems to be pigeonholing itself into the surf market.

with the team they now have //rathy,dean and domonik, erik .. i think the new boat will be a game changer in the wakeboard world..

maybe now malibu will step up its game… note how everyone is saying wake looks like G23 AND XSTAR IN TEASERS… hello what happened to

malibu ….

Is this really a game changer or just a Tige changer? Looks to be competitive with G and xstar but to my ill informed eye not necessarily better. You more dvanced riders care to chime in?

As for all these top 3 boats, are the hulls themselves anything special or is it just the result of weighing 10k+? Where would EPIC fall in terms of size quality, I thought they had some big wakes for smaller/lighter boats?

Either way looks like nice ride for the wake riders. Good on Tige, seems like a solidifying move into the high tier.

As for all these top 3 boats, are the hulls themselves anything special or is it just the result of weighing 10k+? Where would EPIC fall in terms of size quality, I thought they had some big wakes for smaller/lighter boats?

Either way looks like nice ride for the wake riders. Good on Tige, seems like a solidifying move into the high tier.

I think there is a lot to be said for hull design on these "big wake" boats. In theory you could sink any 24', 102" beam boat to the rub rail and get a monsterous wake. In practice it's not that simple. You've got to be able to get the boat on plane for starters. A lot of the big boats are using trim tabs to help get the boat up on plane which definitely helps. Once you're on plane and up to speed, the hull contributes a lot to being able to hold the boat speed and not porpoise with a rider cranking on the line behind the boat. Finally, a great, clean wake shape is all hull design. I have yet to see one of these big boats that has a clean wake beyond an 80' line. Most riders are shortening to 72-78' on both the G and X-star because beyond that the wake is washy and doesn't hold it's shape.

These big wake boats are a niche market for sure, since most average riders will never need a wake this large, and the purchase price and fuel cost is as huge as the wake.

The MXZ doesn't have quite the reputation as the X and G for a big wake, but in my experience it is almost as big and cleaner further back. I'm bias but I know that myself and many of my buddies prefer the malibu MXZ wake much more than the new X-star wake...and we have access to both.

Excited to see what Tige is bringing to the table!!!

9997519253_50a81c3e85_b.jpg

22 MXZ Wake with Stock Ballast 750's in the rear lockers. Going about 22 MPH. Massive! This is only a pic. It was a screen shot.

Edited by Afun

No doubt there is some serious design in the hulls but my question is would a 23 lsv or similar throw a competitive wake if you were to weigh it down to 10-12k like on of these? Or would there be diminishing return on results due to the hull possibly being designed for a more standard 8k.

hmmm maybe I should go out there tonight? Weird that they would unveil in the dark. Technically it's in Sparks.

Where are they doing it? I didn't see a location anywhere. Might be fun to take the kids to.

No doubt there is some serious design in the hulls but my question is would a 23 lsv or similar throw a competitive wake if you were to weigh it down to 10-12k like on of these? Or would there be diminishing return on results due to the hull possibly being designed for a more standard 8k.

I can't personally vouch for the LSV, but I can't get my MXZ on plane with more than 5-6k... Phil Soven has the supercharged engine in his MXZ and he only can get it on plane with less than 7k in it.... The MXZ wake is very competitive, but in my experience you can't get one quite as big as you can on the X and G which were designed to get on plane with that weight and to handle it once you are on plane.

Where are they doing it? I didn't see a location anywhere. Might be fun to take the kids to.

http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/news/2013/09/19/tige-day-1-to-attempt-wakesurf-record/

TLDR;

...at Sparks Marina in Sparks, NV. Spectators are encouraged to attend and witness the amazing feat, admission is free and open to the public.

I guess the reveal and the wakesurf record thing are different tho. The reveal is apparently going to be behind closed doors at the dealer meeting. Don't think public is invited?

Tell em your with the media, they want all the hype they can muster right..

hahaha, that is awesome, and I totally would. Being a TMC "reporter" counts right?!