Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Moving battery

Azza

Hi guys and girls, looking at moving the battery in my VLX from the rear locker further up the boat, either under the back seats (if it fits) or behind the observers seat. Just looking for advice on what kind of cable I should be using and any other issues I might come across. I've done a quick search on here but couldn't really find any specifics so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

In my 11' - Malibu runs a 2/0 awg power and ground from the block and alternator/starter up to the storage under the observers compartment. From there it has a 2 awg power and ground going over to the power bus and negative bus on the drivers side.

2/0 is not going to be cheap...but it is the right way to do it. Pacer Marine is the OEM battery cable that Malibu uses.

http://www.pacergroup.net/Pacer3.aspx?Id=2%2f0_UL_Battery_Cable

proper cable gauge for distance and the potential load, would be at the top of the list over type of cable such as marine, automotive battery, audio amp cable or welding. Good terminals with gelled heat shrink to bridge from the insulation to the terminal

Whatever you do make sure you go with marine tinned wire since it will be under the water line in the stringers.

On my vride the factory ran the long run from the starter and the block up to the batteries under the gunnel, not through the stringer.