Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Moving to Malibu Crew - VLX or 23 LSV?

Eddy88

Were you taking 8-10 ppl out regularly in the 20 footer? Do you trailer or have a lake house, cottage etc? I have taken 10 out in malibu's 20 ft'r and it is definitly a tight squeeze. 8 is fine because we don't need to bring a days worth of stuff. 6 would be ideal if we had to be out all day with all our things. Just some more info that may help get you a better answer.

Also if you do have a lake house I'll :plus1: for the 247, boats never feel overly big on the water, trailering is a whole other story.

Thanks for the reply. 8-10 pretty regularly on the 20 footer and defintley cramped and hard to keep organized with everyone feeling the need to bring a bag full of towels and crap!

Sold our cabin a couple years a go as issues with getting approval for a dock so had to put boat in and out every day, currently looking at a replacement, but the nearest bodies of water with decent homes on it for us is 3.5 hours, so really evaluating our options. Close to home we have mostly large resevoirs that are 30-40 min away, so will be trailering every weekend, thus why I am more inclined to the VLX or LSV. Also putting in the garage every weekend, so I am thinking 23 ft max for now.

What elevation are the lakes you go to? I have a 2012 LSV with the 350 at 3800 feet elevation. With much weight over factory or many people the boat struggles even with the 2315 prop. I am keeping my eye out for a 2013 LSV with a LS3. If you're not very high elevation the 409 should be good.

Where in AB are you? Just my 2 cents but we have a cottage and I have an older VLX. There's always lots of people coming with us, in-laws, cousins, etc. I'd make a jump to the LSV easily.

What elevation are the lakes you go to? I have a 2012 LSV with the 350 at 3800 feet elevation. With much weight over factory or many people the boat struggles even with the 2315 prop. I am keeping my eye out for a 2013 LSV with a LS3. If you're not very high elevation the 409 should be good.

Avergae elevation in AB is usually around 2000-2500ft, closer to the mountains it gets higher.

We are in Southern Alberta, approx 2800-3000 feet elevation.

The question of VLX vs LSV comes up all the time and i've never seen one of those conversation go tward the VLX. Not becasue its not an awsome boat but if you are even thinking it may not be big enough it isn't. The engine conversation comes up all the time as well, all i can say is if you can afford more get more.

I personally bought an LSV because at the time the used market had them priced so close to VLX's it was a no brainer and i found one for a great deal. I dont often need the extra space but i never complain about having it. Good luck with the purchase.

Most people who own other brands that look at my boats interior always think its bigger than it is. The VLX is very roomy, but with a crew that size why not move on to the 247 or MXZ 24. That being money is not an issue. We had 5 adults hanging out in the bow on that that 22 MXZ the other day.

Most people who own other brands that look at my boats interior always think its bigger than it is. The VLX is very roomy, but with a crew that size why not move on to the 247 or MXZ 24. That being money is not an issue. We had 5 adults hanging out in the bow on that that 22 MXZ the other day.

Hey Afun, funny you chimed in, I read your entire thread last night...half way through thought you may not end up with that VLX to match your shoes! Glad to see your in it. I think for now 24 feet is too big for us and they definitly come with a hefty price tag, obviously none of these boats are cheap, but I think the 23 is pushing our wallet as far as justifying the cost for our 4-5 month short season...as you know the original budget and actual price paid are likely not the same, and the budget is more than likely exceeded!

From my discussions with the dealer and the fact we still ski here and there, he recommended the VLX or the LSV with the Diamond Hull as he said the MXZ would give the worst ski wake of the line up.

When demoing, fill the factory ballast and plug-and-play. at wake board speeds. This won't be exact but will give you a better idea of the engines capability with the normal crew that you operate. As I Have posted before, I had a 12:23 LSV with the LSA and will support engine upgrades to LS three or LSA every time.

Hey Afun, funny you chimed in, I read your entire thread last night...half way through thought you may not end up with that VLX to match your shoes! Glad to see your in it. I think for now 24 feet is too big for us and they definitly come with a hefty price tag, obviously none of these boats are cheap, but I think the 23 is pushing our wallet as far as justifying the cost for our 4-5 month short season...as you know the original budget and actual price paid are likely not the same, and the budget is more than likely exceeded!

From my discussions with the dealer and the fact we still ski here and there, he recommended the VLX or the LSV with the Diamond Hull as he said the MXZ would give the worst ski wake of the line up.

You have made me laugh so hard! Yes, I ended up with the VLX that matches my Sperrys. First of all, I am happy you are picking between the VLX and LSV. IMO, I think they are the best in the line up. With that being said, if you go with the LSV, upgrade the engine to something bigger. Once again IMO, the LSV is very heavy and once you load it with ballast that 350 will feel like it is struggling. I feel the 350 is the sweet spot for the VLX. That VLX will work for you too. Super clean wave and wake. Won't waste as much gas and easier to tow. I do love them both. The VLX is very roomy. The MXZ line continues to get a bad rap. My wife who could predict the future, tells me the pickle fork will go out of style, lol. I like the MXZ's too.

Just got done with the demo and I really liked the new LSV. The boat I demo'd had the 350, ACME537, and diamond hull with no plug and play. WOT was around 43 mph and it handled the stock ballast fine at surf and wakeboard speeds, although I don't think anyones concerned with this. The only problem I saw was that it took a little longer than I would like for the boat to plane at surf speeds even with only stock ballast and no wedge, but this could be just because of the ACME537. I am sure the 2315 would drastically change this boat and allow it to handle more weight for surfing, but I think the LS3 is a worthwhile upgrade. I plan on running the LS3 with the 1235 so I can have good torque for surfing and a decent top end speed for the occasional slalom set. The slalom wake was a lot better than I expected on a 23 footer, not the best but pretty good for how big/heavy this boat is.

Just got done with the demo and I really liked the new LSV. The boat I demo'd had the 350, ACME537, and diamond hull with no plug and play. WOT was around 43 mph and it handled the stock ballast fine at surf and wakeboard speeds, although I don't think anyones concerned with this. The only problem I saw was that it took a little longer than I would like for the boat to plane at surf speeds even with only stock ballast and no wedge, but this could be just because of the ACME537. I am sure the 2315 would drastically change this boat and allow it to handle more weight for surfing, but I think the LS3 is a worthwhile upgrade. I plan on running the LS3 with the 1235 so I can have good torque for surfing and a decent top end speed for the occasional slalom set. The slalom wake was a lot better than I expected on a 23 footer, not the best but pretty good for how big/heavy this boat is.

Thanks for the update and the info. I am curious to see how the 409 performs, looking like I will fit in a demo within the week so will be sure to share my experience as well.

At that elevation the 409 should be ok, but I'd go LS3. Our 350 LSV with quad ballast, 600 in rear lockers, 750 bow triangle, and 1000 pounds of people takes forever to plane. If we try with wedge we can't plane. Once we finally get going the wake is really good. :)

Thanks for the update and the info. I am curious to see how the 409 performs, looking like I will fit in a demo within the week so will be sure to share my experience as well.

Looking forward to hearing how the LSV handles with the 409. Do you know what prop it has on it?

Looking forward to hearing how the LSV handles with the 409. Do you know what prop it has on it?

I do not, but will find out and will advise.

Buy a used boat LSV/VLX and with the money you save buy a old direct drive Malibu/Mastercraft 190/Nautique for skiing. You can get a nice older boat for 6 to 8k all day long.

I was going to say the same if he had waterfront property but trailering, one of those boats is going to get used a lot and one almost never. Not to mention garage space.

I was going to say the same if he had waterfront property but trailering, one of those boats is going to get used a lot and one almost never. Not to mention garage space.

Yeah, and not to mention my wife would officially disown me!

2 Boats is just not an option, so with the focus being wake related sports the skiing is just for fun at this point.

Edited by Eddy88

I know someone that has 2 boats and trailers both every time... I think they're crazy though. Stick with one boat if you don't have a place on the lake with room for 2. Honestly if you just want the occasional skiing set for fun, the LSV with the diamond hull will be more than sufficient.

Just an update, I am heading for a demo tomorrow.

2014 23 LSV, 6.0L 410 HP engine with the 1235 prop on it. Will report back tomorrow night how things go and what I think of the 6.0L in there.

Boat is loaded option wise, so the candy factor is high, will try to keep it all in perspective!

Plan to check out the VLX and MXZ while I am there.

Edited by Eddy88

I know people that ski behind the vlx (at 32+), but haven't heard of anyone skiing seriously behind the lsv.

Just say no to skiing behind a VLX (with a wake hull). The LSV with a diamond hull is going to have a better ski wake.