Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Moving to Malibu Crew - VLX or 23 LSV?

Eddy88

Good day to all, I will start by saying thanks for all of the info I have already gathered from the numerous existing forums and threads, I have been following them for over 2 years now. I know this topic comes up all the time and it comes down to personal preference and needs, and must test both to really know, but that said any new insight is appreciated. Quick, background, we are coming from a 2008 TIge 20v, and I can't knock Tige at all, that boat has been fantastic, 6 seasons on the water and not one issue, the boat ran like a dream. That said I love the look and styling of the Malibu's, always have, and we want to upgrade, as well as make surfing easy, our old boat did not have ballast.

So on to my question, we have sold our boat and it will be off of my driveway tomorrow, we WERE going to be patient as we have all winter now and find a used 2013 (as we want surfgate), either a VLX or a 23 LSV. With that said I had already found a gentley used 2013 LSV, but it sold overnight, was listed less than 24 hours, in contacting the dealership they have come back and offered me a competitive price on a new 2014 LSV, would be less than $8K difference than the used one just sold for. So with this Champaigne/First World problem I have, do I go with a VLX or a LSV? Our crew runs anywhere from 8-10 people on a regular basis and on family holidays gets up to 12 on board. We do it all, wakeboard, surf, ski, tube, you name it, vary in ages from our 1 year old son up to my 66 year old father in law who skiied 3 weeeks ago!

Main things I am looking for, what will have a better all round wake for everything, with emphasis being on surfing and wakeboarding but still a decent slalom wake at 30 mph. Is the 409 enough for the new LSV?

Again any insight is appreciated.

Side note: The boat we like, is the 2014 LSV, 409 engine, diamond hull, and loaded with every option possible...750's PnP already added in the rear lockers...we are fortunate that we are even able to make a purchase like this, just want to make the right one and that a 23 LSV is not overkill.

Planning to go demo this weekend, so just gathing all the info I can before I go. Sorry for the long winded virgin post!

Great long winded virgin post. :werule: Sounds like you've already made up your mind. I'll let others chime in where they are more informed but the ski wake is not going to be great. The new LSV is heavier than the 247. That being said with 8-10 people on board nothing is going to have a very good ski wake. I think your choosing the right boat. Just thought I'd give you the heads up. Depending how aggressive the skiers of the group are I may even consider the wake hull, although logically, your thinking straight with the diamond.

Yeah, that is all fair enough. The size of our crew is what is pushing us towards the LSV. Guess I won't really know till I get in both this weekend and can confirm space. How much bigger does the LSV feel?

Towing - no issue, truck will pull either or.

Storage - either will fit, obviously the LSV makes the garage smaller, but we have room so that won't be the end of the world.

As for skiing, the older we get the less competitive we ski so to speak, so usually just go out 2 or 3 guys and go for a rip, so lightens the boat a bit and obviously with these Wake Making Machines the Skiiing is purely recreational.

Any thoughts on the 409 engine? Also anyone been in both the new 2014's? I like some of the changes, I did like the old logo better on the side, and not sure what to think about the Gun Metal plastic look on the glove box and display, will have to see what they look like in person.

Also, guys with the 750's PnP in the rear lockers, do you try to move them to the sideand secure them when they are empty for storage, or do you just put stuff on top of them? I have not seen them in action before so just curious?

Good day to all, I will start by saying thanks for all of the info I have already gathered from the numerous existing forums and threads, I have been following them for over 2 years now. I know this topic comes up all the time and it comes down to personal preference and needs, and must test both to really know, but that said any new insight is appreciated. Quick, background, we are coming from a 2008 TIge 20v, and I can't knock Tige at all, that boat has been fantastic, 6 seasons on the water and not one issue, the boat ran like a dream. That said I love the look and styling of the Malibu's, always have, and we want to upgrade, as well as make surfing easy, our old boat did not have ballast.

So on to my question, we have sold our boat and it will be off of my driveway tomorrow, we WERE going to be patient as we have all winter now and find a used 2013 (as we want surfgate), either a VLX or a 23 LSV. With that said I had already found a gentley used 2013 LSV, but it sold overnight, was listed less than 24 hours, in contacting the dealership they have come back and offered me a competitive price on a new 2014 LSV, would be less than $8K difference than the used one just sold for. So with this Champaigne/First World problem I have, do I go with a VLX or a LSV? Our crew runs anywhere from 8-10 people on a regular basis and on family holidays gets up to 12 on board. We do it all, wakeboard, surf, ski, tube, you name it, vary in ages from our 1 year old son up to my 66 year old father in law who skiied 3 weeeks ago!

Main things I am looking for, what will have a better all round wake for everything, with emphasis being on surfing and wakeboarding but still a decent slalom wake at 30 mph. Is the 409 enough for the new LSV?

Again any insight is appreciated.

Side note: The boat we like, is the 2014 LSV, 409 engine, diamond hull, and loaded with every option possible...750's PnP already added in the rear lockers...we are fortunate that we are even able to make a purchase like this, just want to make the right one and that a 23 LSV is not overkill.

Planning to go demo this weekend, so just gathing all the info I can before I go. Sorry for the long winded virgin post!

In one sentence you answered your own question. The LSV ( or 247) is the boat for you. While the VLX will do what you want, with a regular crew that big the LSV or 247 would be highly advised. When you do your demo put 10 People on board and you will know right away what the answer is.

Edited by liljohn

In one sentence you answered your own question. The LSV ( or 247) is the boat for you. While the VLX will do what you want, with a regular crew that big the LSV or 247 would be highly advised. When you do your demo put 10 People on board and you will know right away what the answer is.

+1 and welcome to The Crew, we love our 23 LSV and yes 3sport, we even ski behind it :biggrin:

• Like 1

Also, guys with the 750's PnP in the rear lockers, do you try to move them to the sideand secure them when they are empty for storage, or do you just put stuff on top of them? I have not seen them in action before so just curious?

The 409 is a very capeable motor, there is always the infamous 2315 prop if it's not enough for your needs. You can put stuff ontop of the bags when they are empty, just nothing sharp obviously.

Okay, thanks. To be honest I have not spent any time in a VLX or 23 LSV, with them being rated as 14 and 15 person capacity that is where I was debating.

With the size of your crew I would definitely go with the LSV. I was in the same boat as you a couple months ago and decided that we will be going with the 23 based off of the regular size of our crew. We are going to demo the 2014 LSV today. From what I have heard the 23 with the diamond hull is not bad for skiing. Im sure its is no response, but for the occasional slalom set I think it will do. As far as the engine goes, that seems to be pretty contested on this site. There are a lot of people that say the 350 with an ACME 2315 is fine. With this setup speed at WOT will be around 37 or so. Some people will say the 409 offers little to no advantage over the 350. And then there are the ones that wouldn't consider the 23 without at least the LS3. Engine choice is still the thing that I cant seem to settle on. Hopefully this demo will help that.

With the size of your crew I would definitely go with the LSV. I was in the same boat as you a couple months ago and decided that we will be going with the 23 based off of the regular size of our crew. We are going to demo the 2014 LSV today. From what I have heard the 23 with the diamond hull is not bad for skiing. Im sure its is no response, but for the occasional slalom set I think it will do. As far as the engine goes, that seems to be pretty contested on this site. There are a lot of people that say the 350 with an ACME 2315 is fine. With this setup speed at WOT will be around 37 or so. Some people will say the 409 offers little to no advantage over the 350. And then there are the ones that wouldn't consider the 23 without at least the LS3. Engine choice is still the thing that I cant seem to settle on. Hopefully this demo will help that.

Keep in mind which threads your reading as the 2014 LSV is heavier boat. So old threads that may say the 2315 with monsoon is fine may be referring to the '13 and previous models.

THIS is the only thread I have seen discussing engines in the '14 LSV.

Keep in mind which threads your reading as the 2014 LSV is heavier boat. So old threads that may say the 2315 with monsoon is fine may be referring to the '13 and previous models.

THIS is the only thread I have seen discussing engines in the '14 LSV.

Good point. It all depends on how much weight you're wanting to handle. For what I am looking at I am looking at an engine upgrade. If you're not worried about running any ballast over stock I would think the 350 would still be fine. I'll see today at my demo. It's a 14 LSV with the 350.

Good point. It all depends on how much weight you're wanting to handle. For what I am looking at I am looking at an engine upgrade. If you're not worried about running any ballast over stock I would think the 350 would still be fine. I'll see today at my demo. It's a 14 LSV with the 350.

Make sure you ask which prop. Your test ride could be useful to a lot of people, but knowing what prop will be critical.

• Like 2

Make sure you ask which prop. Your test ride could be useful to a lot of people, but knowing what prop will be critical.

Yeah, I will. I'm pretty sure it's the stock prop, so ACME 537, but I'll make sure.

Okay, thanks. To be honest I have not spent any time in a VLX or 23 LSV, with them being rated as 14 and 15 person capacity that is where I was debating.

My personal Rule of thumb is take the rated number and cut it in half for a truly comfortable outing. while you can get more people on board being able to move around is a big plus.

I am in the middle of getting my 2014 LSV ordered. My rational is that you only get the option to put an engine in once. Stereo, lights, trailer options, and things like that can always be added later if deemed necessary. I am going with the LS3 for that reason alone. I am coming from an underpowered I/O and I don't want that issue with a boat I custom ordered!

The question of VLX vs LSV comes up all the time and i've never seen one of those conversation go tward the VLX. Not becasue its not an awsome boat but if you are even thinking it may not be big enough it isn't. The engine conversation comes up all the time as well, all i can say is if you can afford more get more.

I personally bought an LSV because at the time the used market had them priced so close to VLX's it was a no brainer and i found one for a great deal. I dont often need the extra space but i never complain about having it. Good luck with the purchase.

Yeah, I will. I'm pretty sure it's the stock prop, so ACME 537, but I'll make sure.

Yes, please advise, and also obviously any info from your test drive would be appreciated.

I should clarify, in my original post when I said the boat we "like" is with the specs, I was referring to the boat I was quoted on and is currently in stock, not what we would actually order. It has the 409 in it.

With that size crew, why not look at a 247?

We are coming from a 20 footer, the 23 is going to feel huge I am pretty sure...by the sounds of it so far the 23 LSV is the way to go for us, down the road could possibly look at the 247.

We are coming from a 20 footer, the 23 is going to feel huge I am pretty sure...by the sounds of it so far the 23 LSV is the way to go for us, down the road could possibly look at the 247.

Were you taking 8-10 ppl out regularly in the 20 footer? Do you trailer or have a lake house, cottage etc? I have taken 10 out in malibu's 20 ft'r and it is definitly a tight squeeze. 8 is fine because we don't need to bring a days worth of stuff. 6 would be ideal if we had to be out all day with all our things. Just some more info that may help get you a better answer.

Also if you do have a lake house I'll :plus1: for the 247, boats never feel overly big on the water, trailering is a whole other story.