Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Electrical Weirdness in my Dodge 1500

Baddog

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 with only 61,000 miles. Can only afford to use it when towing stuff.

Last night I went to get gas (a far too often occurence) and the anti-lock and break warning lights were on on the dash as well as the speedometer and odometer were working intermittently. When driving down the road at ~ 40 m.p.h. it would be at zero, then go up to 35, then go back to zero.

What in the world do I even look for? Everything else electrical seems to work just fine.

It could be a few things.

First simple thing to check is the ABS fuse. It might not be making good contact.

Then after that it's the 3 wheel speed sensor. The first one I'd check is the one on the rear diff. It's location is such that rocks and other debris can hit it while driving and the wires can also get damaged easily. Then the other two are on the front wheels. Check wires for corrosion, etc. If you can't find a problem then a dealership can usually tell which one is the culprit. If you've done a brake job you can fix this.

My Suburban went through similar issues a few years ago, the fix was replacing the entire guage cluster.

good luck

Not likely the gauge cluster when it's just the brake lights, ABS and speedo. If you pull the ABS fuse on a Dodge you lose exactly what you've listed so to me that's the problem.

Not likely the gauge cluster when it's just the brake lights, ABS and speedo. If you pull the ABS fuse on a Dodge you lose exactly what you've listed so to me that's the problem.

Intresting on the wireing. The only thing that went bad on the chevy was the speedo, all other guages worked as advertised. Sometimes I wonder why engineers wire things the way they do.

Intresting on the wireing. The only thing that went bad on the chevy was the speedo, all other guages worked as advertised. Sometimes I wonder why engineers wire things the way they do.

And every car is different from Ford, Dodge and Chevy, you think they'd share a lot of parts to save on money but obviously not...

It could be a few things.

First simple thing to check is the ABS fuse. It might not be making good contact.

Then after that it's the 3 wheel speed sensor. The first one I'd check is the one on the rear diff. It's location is such that rocks and other debris can hit it while driving and the wires can also get damaged easily. Then the other two are on the front wheels. Check wires for corrosion, etc. If you can't find a problem then a dealership can usually tell which one is the culprit. If you've done a brake job you can fix this.

Defiantly check the rear wheel sensor. My 2005 Jeep did this (speedometer would work) but the odometer and mileage calculator would not. ABS light and parking break light would both turn on. Turn Jeep off, and restart, everything would be fine till next bump.

I would check and clean the connection at the battery as a basic first step.

You mean the primary leads? How would that affect only some of the electrical stuff and not all of it?

You mean the primary leads? How would that affect only some of the electrical stuff and not all of it?

Yep, the primary leads. Because it all starts there.

I have a BIG cable that screws onto the positive terminal in my Dodge truck. It supplies power to my sound system. Twice it has become loose (the cable, not the terminal) which causes the engine to stumble and shut off. I don't understand why that happens but I am glad I started at the beginning or I would probably still be looking.

In the second installment of "I don't understand why that happens" I will tell you about the time when my boat started up all by itself while on the trailer. Twice.

• Like 2

Yep, the primary leads. Because it all starts there.

I have a BIG cable that screws onto the positive terminal in my Dodge truck. It supplies power to my sound system. Twice it has become loose (the cable, not the terminal) which causes the engine to stumble and shut off. I don't understand why that happens but I am glad I started at the beginning or I would probably still be looking.

In the second installment of "I don't understand why that happens" I will tell you about the time when my boat started up all by itself while on the trailer. Twice.

I could be wrong here, but that's not a good thing.

• Like 2

Had some issues with my Nissan, similar to yours and finding windows half down etc, It was a battery short inside the battery, it tested fine but then luckily it did some weird stuff when they were driving it around the lot,

My only theory would be that certain electronics can operate under a wide range of voltages, while some need a very specific voltage to work right.

What is the proper way to test a battery for total effectiveness and potential need for replacement? I can easily check voltage, but what about amps?

Take it to your favorite auto parts store most check it for free, They will put a load on the battery and check amps and voltage

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 with only 61,000 miles. Can only afford to use it when towing stuff.

Last night I went to get gas (a far too often occurence) and the anti-lock and break warning lights were on on the dash as well as the speedometer and odometer were working intermittently. When driving down the road at ~ 40 m.p.h. it would be at zero, then go up to 35, then go back to zero.

What in the world do I even look for? Everything else electrical seems to work just fine.

FastFreddy is correct. It is a know symptom on Dodges. You need to replace the sensor in the rear differential. $30.

I have a 99 1500 and 98 dakota. Dakota just started doing the same thing. Haven't replaced the sensor yet. Replaced the 99 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...