Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I just can't win... round 2

petrie141

I've been watching videos this morning and i'm ready to get the 4 plug to 5 plug accessory from their shop. I'm going to pick up the trailer sometime soon, take it home, swap out the plug, and hit the lake!

I am having the same rust problem in Northwest Ohio. Current trailer is tubular construction from Elete Trailers. My problem is with the vertical bunk supports rusting at the top. The lag screws have almost nothing to hold them. The steel fender tabs that hold the fender pads are also rusting out and the pads keep falling off. I have a 99 Sunsetter LXI and am probably close to the weight limit for a single axle. I found a custom trailer manufacturer in Port Clinton, OH who makes their trailers out of "C Channel" steel. My new trailer is on order. I am also upgrading from a single axle to twin axle with 4 electric drum brakes. Cost is in line with a previous post at around $4500. Hope to have the new trailer in about 2 weeks.

Another Update

They fixed the leaking master cylinder and I picked it up on Thursday. Took it to the lake Friday, and Saturday, and had a blast. We even towed it on the highway for 45 miles @ 60 mph and it seemed to tow fine. I did see some of the rust they talked about, so I scraped at it with a screwdriver and steel wool. I think most of it on the outside at least, is just on the surface. What I thought were big flakes of rust seemed to be a combination of dust, rust, road-grime, and paint. Once I had gotten the big flakes off, I tapped it all over with a hammer and couldn't hear a difference in pitch. I also jabbed the life out of it with a screwdriver and couldn't get it to do anything other than scratch off some paint (it didn't make and holes or dents in the problem areas).

Here are a few pics:

10138752685_bb37fec26f_c.jpg

10138837146_32f4950ff1_c.jpg