Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another Winter Storage Q

jgates237

Background info. I plan to store my boat in my garage this coming winter. The garage doesn't get below freezing but does hover in the 30's at times.

Q1: Battery maintenance. Should I disconnect both batteries and store in a warmer location or can I put a trickle charger on them and just leave them in the boat? If I put a trickle charger on them is there any chance of it harming other associated electrical components, i.e., MaliView, if you don't pull the terminal leads off?

Q2. Engine fogging? For those of you who fog their motors, do you just spray into the air intake or do you pull each plug? Is it even necessary? I've done it in the past on a 03' Supra and sprayed into the air intake.

Thanks in advance...

Edited by jgates237

Background info. I plan to store my boat in my garage this coming winter. The garage doesn't get below freezing but does hover in the 30's at times.

Q1: Battery maintenance. Should I disconnect both batteries and store in a warmer location or can I put a trickle charger on them and just leave them in the boat? If I put a trickle charger on them is there any chance of it harming other associated electrical components, i.e., MaliView, if you don't pull the terminal leads off?

Q2. Engine foaming? For those of you who foam their motors, do you just spray into the air intake or do you pull each plug? Is it even necessary? I've done it in the past on a 03' Supra and sprayed into the air intake.

Thanks in advance...

Q1. I would disconnect the batteries and put them on the charger. In the garage is fine, They don't need to stay warm. I usually alternate the charge every couple of weeks between batteries.

Q2 Fogging the engine through the intake is the easiest and best way to do it. Through the plugs and you might put too much in a cylinder and cause hydrolock (not likely but who wants to chance it?)

If you have cats you should not fog the motor (IIRC) hopefully someone will chim in with a solid answer for that. For mine (no cats) I go in through the intake and sparkplug holes, probably over kill but I have never had any issues.

Your batteries should be fine with a trickel charger on them. The malivu and other electonics should not be affected if all switches are off.

Edited by REW

A fully charged battery will not freeze until -76 degrees F, charge it fully then put the trickle charger on it. Turn your battery switch to OFF. Do not fog your engine through the air intake, cats don't like it. Not even necessary to fog the engine.

In Colorado,with low humidity, the local dealer recommends to not fog, unless a customer really wants it. But in NY,it seems like a good idea although the jury is still out I think.

If you dont have a battery switch, disconnect the negative but you could leave the positive connected. But I store mine inside to eek out more life.

I leave my batteries in the boat, on a trickle charger and were 100% ready to go in the spring. Cold only hurts if cranking on them with a low charge. Just turn battery switch to off and I'm comfortable with leaving it like that all winter.

As for fogging, you will get as many people split as you see with the question of using antifreeze. I personally fog mine, but since I have cats, you can't do it through the intake because of the large volume of fogging spray will hurt the cats. I pull each spark plug, disconnect the fuel pump, disconnect coil wire, spray each cylinder, have the wife crank over the motor for a few seconds to "coat" the cylinder walls with the fogging oil, put plugs back in, hook up coil, hook up fuel pump. Ready for spring. Have done this the last 2 seasons and virtually no smoke on startup and it starts perfectly fine.

Thanks everyone, some good advice. There's quite a bit of humidity during the winter months in my area due to lake effect snow off of Lake Ontario and we drag in quite a bit of snow into the garage with my wife's car. I think it would be prudent to go through the necessary steps of fogging just to make sure.

Ditto to Gorilla. It's a royal pain to get to some of the plugs with the L96, but it puts my mind at ease for the next 5 months.

Mike

My advantage is the fact I have the Monsoon with cats. Spark plugs are EASY to get to.