Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cutlass Bearing

Slalomjunky

Just bought a 2003 Sunsetter LXI, very low hours (174), the shaft has a slight amount of play @ the strut bearing. I can grab the prop and move it up and down a slight bit. The prop turns very easy as if the bearing is worn sloppy. The shaft will turn while engine is idling in neutral on the hose. My Old 94 Nautique has 512 hours on it and the shaft bearing still is tight, no play. My brothers 04 sunsetter lxi with over 300 hrs also has no play. How much play is allowed before bearing should be replaced? Looking at the rubber it does not look all that worn. Any info would be great. If/when I have to change the bearing do I have to drop the rudder to get the shaft out? Anyone done one of these before? Thanks Kerry

Probably time to replace. Do you have any vibration,that is usually the tell tale sign of too much play. If you can move the shaft, you probably have too much. How much play do you have? You drop either the rudder or the strut, rudder is much easier.

Hard to measure the amount of play. I would guess by feeling it 5-10 thousandths of an inch. Have not really noticed any vibration. How do you recommend measuring play? To drop the rudder do you have to take the fuel tank out to be able to access the hardware to do it? Not a lot of room and a very long reach from floor board opening at the HDS box. Thanks Kerry

There is probably a DIY video on youtube, showing you how to remove rudder and shaft.

And call DIMSKI.COM...they are very knowledgable and have whatever part(s) you'll need.

Edited by happypappy

There is probably a DIY video on youtube, showing you how to remove rudder and shaft.

And call DIMSKI.COM...they are very knowledgable and have whatever part(s) you'll need.

I think you mean skidim.com

Edited by FastFreddy
  • Like 2

Measure the play with a dial indicator - you either use a magnetic stand on the trailer or clamp on the rudder. You might be able to hold one tight against the hull but that won't be quite as accurate.

• Like 1

Hard to measure the amount of play. I would guess by feeling it 5-10 thousandths of an inch. Have not really noticed any vibration. How do you recommend measuring play? To drop the rudder do you have to take the fuel tank out to be able to access the hardware to do it? Not a lot of room and a very long reach from floor board opening at the HDS box. Thanks Kerry

I'm gonna say that's too much. If you can make it clunk moving it back and forth, time to change it.

On my Echelon I accessed the rudder from the rear panel, but you've got more hull with the Lxi.

I used a car jack and a 24" long piece of 3/4" oak to spread the weight, and lifted one side of the boat up. Lifted it really, really easy, not heavy at all. That allowed me to drop the rudder down without hitting the trailer.

post-8942-0-07401500-1380632426_thumb.jp