Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

To Bimini or not to Bimini?, "That is the question"

Vettesetter

Okay, so my Illusion x needs a top, or does it?

I need the crews advice on this one.

I am wondering how much hassle is it to raise and lower the tower, with a bimini and can I leave it up when towing to the ramp?

I like having the option to get some shade when needed. It's a must for us , wife is a ginger and little kids.

I had biminis on both my illusion x towers . I wouldn't say they are tough to put up or down. Takes about 10 min max either way.You can put the tower up or down with the Bimini booted and attached to the tower. I towed all over with mine an never had any issues as I would usually just leave them up. I wanna say I did 70-80 mph several times with each. I wouldn't think a tow to the ramp would be too much to ask.

There are several offerings out there. Do your homework, of course I like the ones from Bakes. they can do them custom for you also if you decide to go with one.

Edited by Bobby Bright

Any time I'm on a lake on a super hot day and I see someone w/o a bimini, I just wonder why you would spend ~$50K on a boat with bling stereo but, not give yourself any shade.

• Like 2

Any time I'm on a lake on a super hot day and I see someone w/o a bimini, I just wonder why you would spend ~$50K on a boat with bling stereo but, not give yourself any shade.

We get a very short summer here and I don't remember a day where it was so hot that a quick dip didn't solve the problem. In California, I would have one for sure, Canada, not so sure.

Edited by Vettesetter Z06
  • Like 2

I'm in Canada and just bought a VLX with a Bimini and man I like it alot. We left it up all summer. Took it down to bring er home and that's it. It seems to me to be a bit more relaxing after being out in the boat for a whole day the sun beats you up a bit and you don't realize it.

• Like 1

I'm in Canada and just bought a VLX with a Bimini and man I like it alot. We left it up all summer. Took it down to bring er home and that's it. It seems to me to be a bit more relaxing after being out in the boat for a whole day the sun beats you up a bit and you don't realize it.

If I could leave it up the whole summer it would be a no brainer, but I keep mine in the garage therefore would need to put it up and down every time we go out.

Just installed a Bimini today Bakes Marine made for me on my Illusion X. We've been riding for 4 years without a Bimini. Kind of like Perfect Pass...I didn't know how much it improved our boating experience until I actually had it installed. Very impressed with the quality from Bakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

• Like 1

Never use one where I live, But down south a must!! Not sure I would drive with mine up, I know Bobby Does, I heard it can be hard on them??

Edited by Wakesetter67

Never had one and did not want one until I went ridding with someone with one. Now I am trying to figure one out for the old skylon towers.

Contact Skylon, ask for Brian. They made the oversized Bimini for my boat.

Edited by wakebrdr94

I only used mine a couple of times this year. I have used it mainly for weeks when we are at a hot sunny place for vacation, like Hell's Canyon. I also put it up if there are little kids that are going to be on the boat and they need to be in the shade. I also use it if is drizzling. In that case, you don't want to be sitting in the rear during hole shot, as the rain collecting on the Bimini come cascading off then and focuses anyone sitting back there.

I do think it is worth having. I still vividly remember cooking in my old I/O without a bimini at Shasta. Not fun.

With 5 months of hot weather ahead I could not imagine not having one. We went out the other weekend without it and couldn't believe how hot it was just sitting in the full sun, especially driving all day. For the relatively cheap cost I think it is a must

I put my bimini on when the weather gets warm enough to not need the sun for warmth ,end of April, and I leave it up until the end of October when the boat gets put to bed for her long winters nap. I trailer with it on and never had any issues and there are no signs of wear from traveling with it up. As the primary driver I have to have it or i would bake all day, every day we go out. A life saver for me!

When I lived in Seattle, I never had a Bimini, or really felt like I needed one. But the east side of Washington state is hotter, dryer & way more sunshine. So now I have one, leave it up almost all the time. Love it. Only time I take it down is if I'm going freeway speeds.

-

Bill

In VT out summer is relatively short, and you can usually pop in the water to cool off. That being said, I love my bimini, I won't own a boat without one. Mine takes maybe 60 seconds to deply / stow. If it took 10 mins to manage, I'd still have one. Sometimes its just so much more relaxing to get out of the blistering sun for a few mins and having that option to me makes it easier to stay out on the boat all day.

Edited by Levi900RR

I say get one for sure. here is why.

#1 Skin Cancer ... Boating we get a ton of sun on us .. sunscreen washes off, every time we get in ... sun gets reflected by the water onto us which magnifies the effect.

#2 Not everyone likes being in the sun all day long... So by putting up a bimini then your passengers at least have an option..to find some shade.

A guy like me with a bald head wants shade. light colored skin folks also want shade. My dad who's in his 70's loves to go out for a ride once in a while refuses to go unless there is a bimini...

we put ours up every friday and take down every sunday, same tower as you. Been doings this every weekend (warm months) for three years. It's still in great shape and only takes 2 minutes to take out of cover and expand. putting it back in boot and strapping it down to tower takes maybe 5 minutes. It doesn't get in the way of collapsing the tower. I've never had any reason to take it off the tower.

• Like 1

Okay, I think I'm sold on the idea, except I need it to know about my Sampson mirror arm. I really like the way the Bakes Bimini in there online shop looks, no wrinkles whatsoever, would my Sampson mirror make a lump in the Bimini?