Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking to Add a Heater

ahopkins22LSV

Hi all. As fall is now here and its starting to get cool my wife and I want to add a heater to our response. Plus with the group buy going on for Heatercraft I figure it would be a good time to pull the trigger (if she agrees :biggrin: ).

I have a question though and I searched the forums so I apologize if this has been covered. I'm looking to get the opinions of your on the differences between the sport 3 outlet heater and the pro 3 outlet heater, both from Heatercraft. I looked on their site but both seem to list the same technical specs.

Sport heater: http://www.heatercraft.com/marine-heater-300-sport-system/

Pro heater: http://www.heatercraft.com/marine-heater-300-pro-system/

I will be looking to run one hose to the passenger seat, one to the drivers and one to the dash to act act as a defrosted for the windshield.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

We have 2 heaters in our 247, one under the front dash area (3 port) with the pull out that comes from the center way to the play pen area, the other is in the rear section (2 port) , all with the new style pull outs. Amazing results to keep the kids and wife warm at the end of our runs. Actually pulled off a gift for the wife with one of the plug in blankets that Bakes sales.

One unit is very easy to install- tie in to the system, run the water lines forward (you will need to pull the foot board out) mounts in under the front area. BUT if you plan on 2 units piggy backing the 2nd heater actually turns out to steal all the warm water in a single pass - the rear heater worked great but the front heater was cold so we used a T system to feed both heaters with hot water. Our Return loop is still intentionally restricted in the Y back fitting.

Regardless of what system you install, I am sure you will enjoy the benifits.

If I were to make a reccomendation, 3 port in the front, 2 port in the back.

Hook up with James at HeaterCraft- [email protected] Good People

I would not bother personally with the defroster. I had one in my original boat and we never used it. Waste of a vent. Much better to put another hot tube for use. Then if u reall need the defroster you can aim one up there for a short time but for the rest of the time can be enjoined by a passenger. Never enough hot tubes in my experience.

• Like 2

I have 2 three outlets run in series. One und the observer seat and one under the starboard rear corner seat. One comes out in the drivers storage compartment jut below and behind the throttle control lever. Installed them early this spring and have used them a number of times this spring summer and recently. Best to call Heatercraft... I can not see where the differnce is either. Good luck and have fun

These is a group buy going on here too. Which is what sparked my interest in buying one now. We were going to wait until spring but if it's a really good deal the. We might as well buy it now.

Which is why I went to the website to do some research and when I discovered that it appears the sport and the pro series 3 outlet heaters have the same technical specs. Which is why I asked the question here if anyone had experience with either models.

I will try to contact them tomorrow but me being in Mexico for work, it isn't the easiest thing in the world to just call someone. So if anyone here has experience with either of the models that would be great to hear from you!

Also, not really interested in running two heaters. I have a response lx and most of the spring fall boating will either be my wife and I or the guys skiing. No need for a rear heater.

These is a group buy going on here too. Which is what sparked my interest in buying one now. We were going to wait until spring but if it's a really good deal the. We might as well buy it now.

Which is why I went to the website to do some research and when I discovered that it appears the sport and the pro series 3 outlet heaters have the same technical specs. Which is why I asked the question here if anyone had experience with either models.

I will try to contact them tomorrow but me being in Mexico for work, it isn't the easiest thing in the world to just call someone. So if anyone here has experience with either of the models that would be great to hear from you!

Also, not really interested in running two heaters. I have a response lx and most of the spring fall boating will either be my wife and I or the guys skiing. No need for a rear heater.

Appears the difference in the 2 packages is some brass fittings and the wye pipe(supplies better heat at idle speeds). Not worth $250 IMO, the fittings could be had from Lowes and the wye pipe is available at Skidim or Bakes for 40-50 bucks.

If you're going to be adding two heaters I would recommend adding the pump to help circulate the water so the you always have heat. Y pipe will help for one heater but not so much with two at idle.

ahopkins22LSV

Appears the difference in the 2 packages is some brass fittings and the wye pipe(supplies better heat at idle speeds). Not worth $250 IMO, the fittings could be had from Lowes and the wye pipe is available at Skidim or Bakes for 40-50 bucks.

So you would suggest going with the sport model and just adding the pipe later if I feel the need?

So you would suggest going with the sport model and just adding the pipe later if I feel the need?

I suggest buying the sport package and the wye immediately. It's a must IMO unless has someone has a cheaper pump solution than what hc is offering. Jm2c

ahopkins22LSV

Received some info from James at Heatercraft. The sport does not come with the wye pipe as ndawg mentioned above and it does not come with fittings or the hose as ndawg also mentioned.

I should be able to buy the fittings at HD or Lowes along with the hose correct?

Edited by ahopkins1988

Received some info from James at Heatercraft. The sport does not come with the wye pipe as ndawg mentioned above and it does not come with fittings or the hose as ndawg also mentioned.

I should be able to buy the fittings at HD or Lowes along with the hose correct?

I went with fittings from a local hydraulic hose shop. You'd be better of at a car parts store than HD. The hose is 5/8 heater hose (goodyear or other brand), fittings are just brass barbs so pretty easy to find.

FYI I went with this pump and I'm very happy with it. Gives me heat for about 15 minutes AFTER the engine is shutdown.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Solar-Hot-Water-Pump-Run-on-12V-Battery-or-Solar-Panel-Good-to-230-F-145psi-/190635868928?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var&hash=item2c62c88300&_uhb=1

It works off of 12 volts, it's brushless and quiet.

I went with fittings from a local hydraulic hose shop. You'd be better of at a car parts store than HD. The hose is 5/8 heater hose (goodyear or other brand), fittings are just brass barbs so pretty easy to find.

FYI I went with this pump and I'm very happy with it. Gives me heat for about 15 minutes AFTER the engine is shutdown.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Solar-Hot-Water-Pump-Run-on-12V-Battery-or-Solar-Panel-Good-to-230-F-145psi-/190635868928?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var&hash=item2c62c88300&_uhb=1

It works off of 12 volts, it's brushless and quiet.

Is it ignition protected? Where do you have it mounted?

Is it ignition protected? Where do you have it mounted?

I don't think it is ignition protected but my pump is under the seats near the heater, not near the engine. I feel it is safe since it is close the the storage compartment where the amps are and they aren't ignition protected or IS.

I don't think it is ignition protected but my pump is under the seats near the heater, not near the engine. I feel it is safe since it is close the the storage compartment where the amps are and they aren't ignition protected or IS.

That seems pretty safe. Seems like the engine block would stay warm longer than 15 minutes, makes me wonder if it's actually moving that much water and/or the block cools more rapidly since the water is continuously moving. Seems like I remember someone stating they had heat for nearly an hour after shutdown.

when you guys are buying these fittings... are you getting them from the compressor area of the hardware stores or in the plumbing sections?

Can someone post a link to a vendor that has all the common fittings for sale?

Thanks. I finally got the tap and return locations for my engine....got the wiring diagram for the pre-wired electrical hookups.... now I need some Shawndoggy consulting services. Where you guy guys like to mount these? behind the driver?

That seems pretty safe. Seems like the engine block would stay warm longer than 15 minutes, makes me wonder if it's actually moving that much water and/or the block cools more rapidly since the water is continuously moving. Seems like I remember someone stating they had heat for nearly an hour after shutdown.

Heat is HOT for 15 minutes but warm for a good 30 minutes or so.

Thanks. I finally got the tap and return locations for my engine....got the wiring diagram for the pre-wired electrical hookups.... now I need some Shawndoggy consulting services. Where you guy guys like to mount these? behind the driver?

where do you want the vents? There was a real good writeup by jaxonboats on a compact install over the tranny in a 247. Don't know whether that'd be translateable to a G?

The "traditional" location is under the helm, but that's probably one of the worst locations in my limited experience (it's the kids in the back of the boat who need the heat, not the driver under the windshield).

bottom line is you are cutting 3" holes in fiberglass somewhere to mount those heat tubes correct?

Yes. I put mine under the seats on the port side of the boat. Three hot tubes. Kids love it. Driver doesn't need any heat...