Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prosport 12 question

t a

So in my other thread I've been having issues with my deep cycle house battery. Turns out that house battery was completely dry when I checked it. It was supposed to be maintenance free but that's my fault. I filled it with distiller water and am in process of charging it to see if it can still hold a charge. Well it's charged up according to the voltage onthe dash but I can hear the water in the battery almost boiling or something, and the charger is still in charge mode. The fuses on the leads from the charger are warm on the deep cycle house battery and cool on the starting battery. Is this an issue with the charger cooking my battery or is it a dead cell on the house battery that's not allowing it to fully charge?

Make sure the charger is on slow charge like 2A or less. The battery may have a short inside it which is causing it to boil. In any case I would swap that battery out, if it boils too much it could explode.

Well it's a "smart" charger so I can't control that I don't think.. It's supposed to charge each battery at 6A till charged then automatically switch to float mode which is 2A. I'll keep an eye on it and just swap it out if it doesn't stop soon...

That charger is distribution on demand so it can give all 12 volts to the lowest battery, or 6 to each. It's normal for a little boiling you actually want that. Feel the battery case, if its hot to the touch unplug the charger and let it cool off that battery is toast and could expload if you keep charging it.

As suggested in the other thread, have you checked the chargers output with a volt meter? That battery is done and will not recover from being dry. Replace is and then test the output of the charger to make sure its a) putting out enough to recharge the battery, with out b) over charging. As David noted, dont use the helm volt gauge, you need to use a meter directly to battery for testing.